Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We lost to a Champions League team that I believe were a good draw to get but once you lose Kane and Son you're facing a monster of a hill to climb. The only thing I saw in this Champions League campaign was hopeful progression to give us more money. The moment we lose both Kane and Son for the season our European chances of success go from slim to none.

How do you think Leipzig would have fared against us if we had Kane and Son fit and they were the ones without players like Werner & Schick? Sometimes in sport you get the tough breaks, other times you get a slice of fortune, that's just how it goes with athletes and injury lists good man, that's just how it goes.
I do agree but i think we should have prepared better. Prepare for the worst and all that. We should have invested more in a striker and things could be different. My guess is as good as yours

Are you suggesting a 20m striker would be better than Kane, Son, Lamela, Lucas, Dela, Bergwijn ....

We need a striker but not yet another waste of money low quality failure ... what's the point?
1) I'm suggesting that that a 20m top goalscorer for his team for the past four years with a 0.47 strike rate in one of the world's toughest leagues striker would be better striker than Lamela, Lucas, Dele, Bergwijn, yes
2) Why do you assume that if we buy a striker he will be a "waste of money low quality failure" when you don't apply that classification to any of the players we actually buy?
3) You haven't answered my question. How was it possible for you to say mid-way through the transfer window that it would be unacceptable for us not to bring a striker in yet do a 180º turn on the spot and say we didn't need one as soon it was clear that we'd failed to do just that?

1) I'm suggesting that that a 20m striker would be better striker than Lamela, Lucas, Dele, Bergwijn, yes
2) Why do you assume that if we buy a striker he will be a "waste of money low quality failure" when you don't apply that classification to any of the players we actually buy?
3) You haven't answered my question. How was it possible for you to say mid-way through the transfer window that it would be unacceptable for us not to bring a striker in yet do a 180º turn on the spot and say we didn't need one as soon it was clear that we'd failed to do just that?
Very structured post.

Son ain’t a striker never will be .... have a think first

you seen his record when he fills in for Harry ?

son is the bollox as a striker

empirical and statistical evidence both prove this

and you’re sure the finger bangers renowned movement would have got him there in the first instance?

He ain't a striker and never will be for me I would wager that without looking it up he scores more from the left then he does striker without Harry in the team

I do agree but i think we should have prepared better. Prepare for the worst and all that. We should have invested more in a striker and things could be different. My guess is as good as yours

Mourinho clearly wanted one, just like Chelsea, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Man U did. The only teams out of that list to sign someone are Man U, a player that couldn't play for the first two weeks due to being quarantined away from the rest of the squad and Barcelona who signed Braithwaite a player that 7 months ago was playing for Middlesborough who let's be honest isn't anywhere near what we need, especially for a £15m fee.

Should have signed someone, couldn't for whatever reasons that go on behind the scenes that's just how it is sometimes.

1) I'm suggesting that that a 20m top goalscorer for his team for the past four years with a 0.47 strike rate in one of the world's toughest leagues striker would be better striker than Lamela, Lucas, Dele, Bergwijn, yes

You seem adamant that Willian Jose would have been £20m Bill. How certain are you that this fee is genuinely the fee being discussed? I mean we read things but is there any proof that £20m was the all in fee with all things considered or is it just paper talk and speculation etc?

Mourinho clearly wanted one, just like Chelsea, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid and Man U did. The only teams out of that list to sign someone are Man U, a player that couldn't play for the first two weeks due to being quarantined away from the rest of the squad and Barcelona who signed Braithwaite a player that 7 months ago was playing for Middlesborough who let's be honest isn't anywhere near what we need, especially for a £15m fee.

Should have signed someone, couldn't for whatever reasons that go on behind the scenes that's just how it is sometimes.
I don't buy it. If you plan ahead you will never lack options. If you leave it to the last day of the transfer window you will get fucked. Somehow alot of spurs fans think its just bad luck or high prices that prevent us from signing premium players. It is not. It is gross incompetence. We could had Grealish for £25m but no. Prime example

You seem adamant that Willian Jose would have been £20m Bill. How certain are you that this fee is genuinely the fee being discussed? I mean we read things but is there any proof that £20m was the all in fee with all things considered or is it just paper talk and speculation etc?
Well, £22 million, €25 million. Everything about the deal, from beginning to end, was made available to local journos in San Sebastián, as is common here. They are almost always spot-on on every detail, see the Soldado and Lo Celo deals for example.

It doesn't happen in quite the same way in Madrid and Barcelona, but in the provinces the local press and radio are extremely reliable. It wasn't speculation/"paper talk" in the tabloid/Marca sense, it was all this has happened, this has happened etc and was reported the same in three sources.

After it all fell through there was an interview in the local press with WJ, he confirmed that it was all set to happen (didn't mention actual somes though) and how he felt he'd been left high and dry when we pulled out

Last edited:
He ain't a striker and never will be for me I would wager that without looking it up he scores more from the left then he does striker without Harry in the team
Either way .... he had a great record as a striker right?
Also. We all watched him play well as a striker right ?

I mean without wanting to condescend towards you ... this demonstrates Sonny is a good striker

(and again ... without looking it up ... I’d take that wager)

I don't buy it. If you plan ahead you will never lack options. If you leave it to the last day of the transfer window you will get fucked. Somehow alot of spurs fans think its just bad luck or high prices that prevent us from signing premium players. It is not. It is gross incompetence. We could had Grealish for £25m but no. Prime example

Where did you see that we could have got Grealish for £25m? To my knowledge we were prepared to pay £25m for Grealish, they wanted closer to £40m but the takeover shot that deal down in flames Andersen

Where did you see that we could have got Grealish for £25m? To my knowledge we were prepared to pay £25m for Grealish, they wanted closer to £40m but the takeover shot that deal down in flames Andersen
First of all. I can only go by the information i have available, but my understanding is that we had the option of buying Grealish for £25m in 2018. Second only my mom call me Andersen :)

First of all. I can only go by the information i have available, but my understanding is that we had the option of buying Grealish for £25m in 2018. Second only my mom call me Andersen :)

Tottenham Hotspur have finally made their move for Jack Grealish, opening the bidding at £25 million for the Aston Villa attacking talent and hoping that it will be enough to persuade the club’s wealthy new owners to part with their greatest asset.

We bid £25m, we didn't sign him, that's how it goes sometimes.

Tottenham Hotspur have finally made their move for Jack Grealish, opening the bidding at £25 million for the Aston Villa attacking talent and hoping that it will be enough to persuade the club’s wealthy new owners to part with their greatest asset.

We bid £25m, we didn't sign him, that's how it goes sometimes.
If that is the case we should be first in line now when they get relegated.

From transermarkt. This season

as a winger P21 S10 A6
As a striker. P9 S6 A4

do you play poker by any chance .... I know a game needs one more hand

Sample size since Mou took over? Or last season or the one before.

Also he for me still isn't as effective playing in the center he's best cutting in. Hes winger who can sorta play striker we needed a actual backup full time striker

Sample size since Mou took over? Or last season or the one before.

Also he for me still isn't as effective playing in the center he's best cutting in. Hes winger who can sorta play striker we needed a actual backup full time striker
This season so far

there are others on here that would gladly drown you in stats.... personally I’m surprised I even put that amount of effort in

I know you keep saying ‘for you he’s not .....’

but obviously he is a quality striker
It ceases to be subjective when his record as a striker is very good

edit : Whether you think he’s better elsewhere isn’t really the point

Last edited:
All the hindsight in the world floating around today about buying strikers etc etc, and money being quoted from Free to 100m.....bottom line, where is the youth?
Parrot is a striker and maybe should play even factoring in his young age, but obviously that is a risk factor the club don’t want to take, I mean every single game we play from here to the end is “a must win” which only adds to the pressure....
We gambled a little on the Kane thing and now with Son out its become critical...Alli can’t step up, Bergwijn is only settling in and we all know Lucas is so hot and cold he’s worse than climate change......as for Lamela, well never ever ever ever bank on him to be fit....tough times!!....but tough times separate the chaff from the wheat, and that will be an advantage for Jose moving forward...

We lost to a Champions League team that I believe were a good draw to get but once you lose Kane and Son you're facing a monster of a hill to climb. The only thing I saw in this Champions League campaign was hopeful progression to give us more money. The moment we lose both Kane and Son for the season our European chances of success go from slim to none.

How do you think Leipzig would have fared against us if we had Kane and Son fit and they were the ones without players like Werner & Schick? Sometimes in sport you get the tough breaks, other times you get a slice of fortune, that's just how it goes with athletes and injury lists good man, that's just how it goes.
They were without THREE of their first choice of CB's.

Had Kane and Son been available, would we have played any differently? Evidence would suggest not. Yes, had they played they are more likely they would have taken half-chances better, capable of producing something out of nothing. But we would have still set up to be reactive, playing a low deep block and hope the oppo don't take their chances and hope we might nick one of ours.

Leipzig, on the other hand, would have played exactly as they did whether we had Kane and/or Son in the team. Unless we address this Jurassic football nothing is going to change for us and we will come up short big time by the clubs that are playing or are attempting to play a progressive style (Wolves, City, Liverpool, Southampton, Leipzig, Chavs) and struggle and scrap past those that don't.

Back
Top Bottom