Tottenham Hotspur Versus Redbull Leipzig 19/02/2010

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seriously, Alli in the front looked terrible. He is not made to be a striker.
He could do it I think but he needs bodies around him. If you're sticking him and Lucas 20 yards away from the midfield you get nothing.

Go with a proper three up front and an attacking midfield and you suddenly have a threat going forward and the ability to impose ourselves on the game.

I’m also desperate for a trophy and the FA cup is definitely our best chance, but we’ll still have to beat Liverpool or City, or possibly both, to win it. Are there many better teams than those 2 in the champions league?
They're both in the Champions League for starters. Dortmund look tasty as fuck. Juve are still Juve. Bayern beat us 7-2.

19 years old. First start in a Champions League game. Ridiculous range of passing. Reading of the game was excellent and dealt with us comfortably.

We beat Man City without a striker. It's no excuse.

To think, he can't even get a start over their usual centre backs, who will be back for the second leg.

You could have put any CB who has legs against us for the first 70mins and they would have found it easy as fuck. He played some nice balls, but he had no actual defending to do.

Not that it matters at all, just wound me up how much I had to listen to the commentators love-in about him, again only because he is British.

Hmmmnnn, two points.

We need to adopt the All Blacks approach to this squad. First rule - no cunts. So that.s a summer exit for Dele and Aurier. No matter any arguments about their talent, their attitude rules them out.

Secondly what is JMs plan? Because without a striker we're sure not gonna sit that deep and nick one. I think it may be to sit really deep and wait for the other team to start dying of old age.
He wanted a striker but got Levyd

You realise we had Winks and Gedson in midfield. No striker and Ben Davies and Serge Aurier as our full backs, right? A team with injuries all over the shop.

They are a better team than us. Play better football than us. Are more organised than us. And in all honesty, we probably should have got something from it.
Mourihno picked that team though, left decent players on the bench. Set us up to do fuck all and hope the opposition didn't score. Offered zero going forward. Is that really a masterclass? The opposition manager gave a masterclass, players well drilled, movement, tried to win. Played a reserve youngster in central defence. Jose would have said he wasn't ready.

Can't grumble at all with that result, we were definitely better with Ndombele on the pitch, but Moura up front in a 442 against this lot was utter bollocks, and I'm not too excited by the last 20, we only got much more of the ball then because they got their away goal and shelled on it.

They were comprehensively better with and without the ball, tactically, technically and effort wise than us for an hour.
This seems to suggest bad prospects for us going forward BC. And you mention the many areas in which we were overmatched. Are you also suggesting they have a superior manager on their side who utilizes modern tactics instead of prehistoric one's based on having superior talent garnered through major financial advantages? Big if true.

On our side though they have struggled at home this season. Of course those struggles come after the 200mph first 20 minutes when they are already 2 up. So I'm saying there's a chance since we have so many goalscorers in our ranks.

Not one to live long in the memory. 0-1 is a good score line given the chances and possession they had. I really don’t think we need to be so conservative in our play. We may not have a striker but we have plenty of forwards and we made it too easy for them. If this is how we’re planning on playing for the rest of the season then we’re just waving a white flag. Awful.

If you are going to play such an attacking line up then you have to actually attack. We were trying to defend for the first hour with lightweight midfielders who are not really suited to defensive play. We were outnumbered in midfield from the off. Mourinho should have started with either Ndombele, Dier or even Skipp (if he is in the CL squad) to give winks a bit more support.

We are getting a lot of stick from the pundits but Son was ruled out for the season on Tuesday morning. We had one day to come up with something and it didn’t work that well but the players worked their knackers off. All we can do is work hard, it is impossible to play that well in our circumstances.

We don't have tactics employed like City or Liverpoo, all we do is picking up scattered pieces and duct taping them. Kane and Son injuries are pure bad luck, it's not like we are surprised by another Lamela sideline, thinking "he's fit, he's gonna be like new signing". And I'm pretty happy how did this duct taping work till now.
We dont have the players Liverpool have now. 3 Seasons ago they looked just like us. It took time to reach the heights they have. Davies and Aurier aren't League winning material. Hopefully Lamela and Ndombele are in the clear. We need patience. And we need to stop expecting overnight changes to bring success. We not a City, United, Liverpool or Chelsea that spends huge money on buying the best. We've bought what can be moulded to be the best.

Back
Top Bottom