Tottenham Hotspur v. West Ham United

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Just spent the last half hour reading Kumb's match thread..

Oh my, that was enjoyable.. Just to summarise -

Theirs was definitely a penalty, ours was a dive by Son, Kane is an embarrassment because he dived a lot, Mike Dean is a Spurs fan, our fans celebrating the way we did is embarrassing, our equaliser was definitely handball by Janssen.
A fantastic match summary from some very knowledgable football supporters..:walker-scream:

fhWkCre.gif

Spent about half an hour walking around Dublin trying to find the game being shown somewhere, every single bar was playing the Ireland v NZ Rugby game. Ended up following the game on text alerts in the car. Such a frustrating yet satisfying end, I would have loved to have watched it live!
Too late I know but Look up Dublin Spurs always shows the match

Take a look at @dublinspurs's Tweet:

Thomas mair pub fredrick Street

Shit, I didn't realise that. Thanks old chap.

We scored a rebound, a tap in and a last min pen.

Again, over the moon, but not exactly goals that required much effort or guile. No one can say they thought we'd score many in that game - at 1-0 many on here were saying they didn't have much hope of us coming back.
Your beef is that the goals were not pretty enough?
If we score 3 goals a game we will win the league by Easter. That will do for me.

I got last minute ticket for the game yesterday and my god, this club puts you through the fucking wringer!!

For large swathes of the game our movement was too slow, there was a hell of a lot of passing sideways and while they didn't threaten a lot, neither did we. The second half we looked a lot better and you thought after the equaliser we'd go on to win it, especially with the Dier header- all their fans seem to be talking about their keeper, yet that was one hell of a save... Then after another corner (we didn't handle those corners well!) the penalty and the sinking feeling..

As the game went on my belief was slowly draining, we'd been pedestrian at times, but the subs for us made the difference, Son did get himself in serious positions which turned the game for us.

When that winner went in there was utter pandemonium, the ground was literally in uproar, I left the East Stand and headed towards Seven Sisters and there was a huge police cordon around the back of the South Stand and there seemed to be a fair few chants of '2-1 and you fucked it up' but the feeling of fans going back was elation and relief. I don't think I have felt so drained by a game of football for a long, long time.

I think something has to be said for our will to win and the fact we had the character to turn it around. However, we have to find more guile going forward and we need to transition defence to attack much quicker, that is possibly where we're missing Alderweireld or maybe there's a little inbalance in numbers where we don't seem to be able to stretch teams enough when we're attacking.

It wasn't a great performance but to turn over West Ham like that was a joy.

I got last minute ticket for the game yesterday and my god, this club puts you through the fucking wringer!!

For large swathes of the game our movement was too slow, there was a hell of a lot of passing sideways and while they didn't threaten a lot, neither did we. The second half we looked a lot better and you thought after the equaliser we'd go on to win it, especially with the Dier header- all their fans seem to be talking about their keeper, yet that was one hell of a save... Then after another corner (we didn't handle those corners well!) the penalty and the sinking feeling..

As the game went on my belief was slowly draining, we'd been pedestrian at times, but the subs for us made the difference, Son did get himself in serious positions which turned the game for us.

When that winner went in there was utter pandemonium, the ground was literally in uproar, I left the East Stand and headed towards Seven Sisters and there was a huge police cordon around the back of the South Stand and there seemed to be a fair few chants of '2-1 and you fucked it up' but the feeling of fans going back was elation and relief. I don't think I have felt so drained by a game of football for a long, long time.

I think something has to be said for our will to win and the fact we had the character to turn it around. However, we have to find more guile going forward and we need to transition defence to attack much quicker, that is possibly where we're missing Alderweireld or maybe there's a little inbalance in numbers where we don't seem to be able to stretch teams enough when we're attacking.

It wasn't a great performance but to turn over West Ham like that was a joy.
The football was poor but the game was epic. I was also in the shelf. Scenes

As for the game - I was not happy with the starting line up and couldn't understand why we changed yet again. I had no problem playing Winks which turned out to be a master stroke from Poch.
The first half proved we were set up wrong, we had no width. Bilic got his selection right, his substitutions are what killed them.
I've totally lost any patience with Ericssen, he is awful and can't be defended anymore. his passing was beyond pathetic and his set pieces are worse. We need an upgrade that is a certainty.
Someone shouted for Alli to replace Ericssen, I shouted for Vorm to replace Ericssen, he really was that bad.
What a debut for Winks, our best player in the first half, no one else was on their game and against a good side we would have been more than one down.

The 2nd half was just one of them halves that we will remember for a very long time. Our performance was better but the final outcome was just pure dream land.
Shutting them up was just bliss.." It's happening again " they sang over and over, I might be wrong but haven't they only beat us once in the last 14 at WHL in the league?? And yet 'it' Was happening again.
Their faces ( those that stayed to the end ) when it was sang back at them at 3-2 was priceless.
This one really hurt them..

Words cannot describe the feeling of going from sheer dejection at 2-1 with 2 minutes left to walking out of the stadium and down the High Road with such elation, one of the special special moments in football..
I literally sat there with my head in my hands imaging the week and months ahead listening at them lot winning their cup final.. to nick a point at the death was such relief but the winner was what dreams are made of..

I didn't see the game, but I just wanted to point out that it was Ericssen's brilliant no look pass to Son which got us the win. Granted he has been very poor lately, but those little flashes of intelligence are why he stays on the pitch for the full 90.

Last edited:
Does it feel good to wake up this morning and feel the afterglow of that victory. Yes the performance was poor, yes we still have problems including injuries and suspension, but who cares we grabbed victory from the jaws of defeat against one of our bitter rivals and it feels great.

Melters only melt because they fucking care so much. What sort of place would this forum be without us ! ..It's the broad range of views and opinions that sets us apart from the rest. And when we pull off a result like today, we should all celebrate as one:dude:
thats not true though. there are some that are waiting for the first misplaced pass to start complaining. there was one near me last match i was at. minute 1 to minute 90, all he did was moan and complain

Let's hope we don't see that formation ever again. I've no problem with 2 up top, but both Janssen and Kane standing next to each other meant we were basically a man down in midfield. I just couldn't work out what the plan was to make this effective. Usually it would be to go direct from the back or use full backs to a) stay wide and get behind defence and put crosses in and/or b) put in an early cross ( before you get to penalty box, we did neither. The one thing WH did well was they doubled up on our FB's.

If we go 2 up again Kane should play behind Janssen. Those having a pop at Janssen, yet again, should by the same token be having a pop at Kane. They were both completely out of the game, as we unable to get a ball to them. And when we did find them they had no one to play off as they were side by side.

The best thing about this team is even when we are set up wrong, we are still resilient, there is no panic and like yesterday we were still the better of the two sides despite us struggling to play our game.

I didn't see the game, but I just wanted to point out that it was Ericssen's brilliant no look pass to Son which got us the win. Granted he has been very poor lately, but its those little flashes of intelligence which is why he stays on the pitch for the full 90.

That indeed is correct it was a lovely pass, but I think we are at a level where we need someone capable of more than one good pass a game.. He really was awful yesterday.
His position is a crucial one and we need someone who is going to run the game and pull all the strings.. At present he is not that man..

We look better once Son and Alli came on 100%-agree, almost back to where we were. Once Alderweireld is fit and Eriksen pulls his head from his backside, well be flying. We are a very good side just going through an uncertain period which is all part of the development, for me.

That indeed is correct it was a lovely pass, but I think we are at a level where we need someone capable of more than one good pass a game.. He really was awful yesterday.
His position is a crucial one and we need someone who is going to run the game and pull all the strings.. At present he is not that man..

Agreed, but who else should have gone in that role yesterday? Lamela was injured... I can't think of anyone better to be honest.

The 80th-89th minutes on the shelf were pure agony... though the subsequent 2 or 3 minutes more than made up for it.

Gotta say, I was genuinely disappointed to see so many people leave on 85 mins (when the Eriksen free-kick went wide) I get that some people have trains to catch, and traffic to beat, and irate partners/kids to get home to and eat a stone cold dinner with...

But there were plenty who didn't seem to have that excuse, and were just leaving with that abject, arms up in the air, "Sod this, I've given up" defeatism that I'd hoped wouldn't seep through to the players... (luckily, it didn't seem to, eh?)

I hope to fuck that those outside heard the pandemonium going on inside the ground as they left... and maybe thought twice about doing it again!
Still... at least those doing that gave the rest of us the opportunity to ram the 'Fire Drill' chant back down West Ham's throats!!

I didn't see the game, but I just wanted to point out that it was Ericssen's brilliant no look pass to Son which got us the win. Granted he has been very poor lately, but those little flashes of intelligence are why he stays on the pitch for the full 90.

If you didn't see the game, then I can't take this post seriously........
:allitongue:

He was woeful in the first half, played as if he been toking on a splif all day. I was shocked Poch didn't hook him at half time, but that said and done, he was good in 2nd half, he was finding pockets and rolling players and linkning quickly. That spell we had from begging of 2nd half right up to their pen was really good & basicaly Erikssen pulling the strings. After their pen the tempo went from us again and he was less influential.

Maybe he needs the game played at a higher tempo for him to show??? Thinking about past performances this is something I will look out for.

Agreed, but who else should have gone in that role yesterday? Lamela was injured... I can't think of anyone better to be honest.

Again you are correct, he had to play, but going forward we need better..
He has been pretty poor all season, I really don't know what's the matter with him as in the past he has been unplayable..

Back
Top Bottom