Tottenham Hotspur v. Watford - 19.10.2019 @ 3 PM

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

2016/2017 we were killing it with 343. I dunno why peeps have this fixed mentality that 3 at the back = doom for us... Let's also not forget that we made the switch when we did because we were creating fuck all in a 4231 at the time. Evidently the situation is a bit more complex than 4231 or bust (we used to hear the same thing about 442 if you go back far enough).

I agree about "will without tactics", but tactics are what you play within a given formation; they're not implicitly dictated by said chosen formation.
Thats because one of those 'CBs' was a midfielder who pushed into midfield in possession and/or we were strong through the middle, we are nothing of the sort now.
Like others have said, starting FIVE central players at home against Watford is pathetic.

2016/2017 we were killing it with 343. I dunno why peeps have this fixed mentality that 3 at the back = doom for us... Let's also not forget that we made the switch when we did because we were creating fuck all in a 4231 at the time. Evidently the situation is a bit more complex than 4231 or bust (we used to hear the same thing about 442 if you go back far enough).

I agree about "will without tactics", but tactics are what you play within a given formation; they're not implicitly dictated by said chosen formation.

The reality is that we have a West Ham level midfield. That is the truth. When we had beast mode Dembele and Wanyama we could play whatever formation we wanted, nobody is going to be able to stop us with those two.

Winks and Sissoko on the other hand are easy to play against. It’s not possible to play the type of football Poch likes with these players. There is a reason that Sissoko never got a sniff until Dembele left the team. It’s foolishness to expect such an inferior player to do the same job.

We need to play in a different way if we want to win matches. A player with such severe deficiencies as Sissoko cannot be a starting midfielder for a team that has 70% of the ball. He can’t do anything with it. He suits a team that plays on the break using his power to transition from defence quickly.

Very few positives from the game:
- Even before his goal I thought Dele had a good game, he is looking better. Keep playing him, he'll come good
- Son looked dangerous when he came on
- N'dombele also looked good once he came on, he is just so good at receiving the ball and charging up

Many negatives:
- Toby is completely out of form, outside of his defense, his passing/crossing today was dreadful. For some reason we kept trying it and he could not get anything going
- Jan looks so so slow, he's smart enough to not get burnt by it too often, but he should have been called for a penalty
- Rose, gets in the right spots and completely muffs it every time
- Aurier, nothing performance
- Winks, I actually liked him running into space but he needs to do it more and he needs to push the ball forward more. I know it's his job to recycle possession but there are many times he could turn it up the pitch
- Lucas, I know he scores at a good rate but he seems invisible when he's not scoring

Our entire offensive plan seemed to be to try low probability crosses all game. It didn't work at all. We have all the possession in the world and do nothing with it. Thought it was a harsh substitution on Sanchez considering the game Toby had.

Poch seems out of ideas unfortunately.

“First half for us was poor of course, but second half I need to tell you that I feel very proud and we fought and always took risks. We started the second half really well and Sonny provided good energy and the team was fighting and never gave up. In the end we got the reward from Dele Alli’s goal and I think fully deserved. That is the first step to build our confidence and we need to stop to consider the poor goal that we conceded.

“Of course when you analyse the situation after Bayern Munich it’s normal. We were with our confidence here (holds hand up high) and then after Bayern Munich our confidence was on the floor. What happened against Brighton when we conceded a goal with the first action and the impact of losing your captain to a big injury, of course that made it very difficult.

“Now it’s step by step and we will stay strong. It’s only football problems and we are football people. We will try to find a way and we are trying and doing things, trying to be solid to start performing in the way that we all expect that we need to.”

It's not going to be easy. Sorry about the crooked font but if you look carefully, RSB have won 10 out of their 11 games
Team[ vte ] Pld W D L GF GA GD Pts Qualification
1 Red Star Belgrade 11 10 0 1 23 9 +14 30 Qualification for the Championship round
2 Vojvodina 12 8 2 2 25 9 +16 26
3 Čukarički 11 8 2 1 14 6 +8 26
4 TSC Bačka Topola 11 7 3 1 20 8 +12 24
5 Partizan 10 7 2 1 23 6 +17 23

Because it has been since.

We've been playign side-to-side shit in it for ages.

I have not said 4231 is a magic bullet.

It is the shape that will give us the most scope, at this stage, to get things back in order.

He just has to choose the right personel and bring in GLC and Sess asap and not fart around with his precious preparation with them.

This game is yet another example where we've changed to it, from 3 at the back, and it's benefited us.

Player Ratings
Tottenham: Gazzaniga (6), Aurier (5), Alderweireld (6), Sanchez (4), Vertonghen (6), Rose (4), Sissoko (6), Winks (6), Alli (6), Moura (6), Kane (6)

Subs: Son (8), Lamela (6)

Watford: Foster (6), Janmaat (8), Dawson (8), Kabasele (8), Cathcart (8), Holebas (7), Pereyra (8), Doucoure (9), Cleverley (8), Chalobah (7), Welbeck (6)

Subs: Deulofeu (8), Hughes (6)
The above ratings are on Sky. I think some of the Spurs players ratings are generous but the Watford ones are ridiculous. They were as bad as us, had little possession and time wasted but to give Welbeck a 6 is just incredible. Was that because he wasted time with his injury as I cannot see another reason.

Thats because one of those 'CBs' was a midfielder who pushed into midfield in possession and/or we were strong through the middle, we are nothing of the sort now.
Like others have said, starting FIVE central players at home against Watford is pathetic.
and then Doucoure was probably the best midfielder on the pitch anyway.

The really sad thing for me is that I'm not looking forward to games.
Come on boys :(

Alli has saved Pochettino's job........ for now.

But the bloke keeps making the wrong calls.

Rose, Alderweireld and Eriksen should be nowhere near our squad.

The biggest problem is obviously confidence.

The other is whether Pochettino has lost the ability to inspire or to be heard.

Levy playing clever by giving Pochettino plenty rope. Only question that remains is how much time he ia given.

That is the first step to build our confidence
Anybody else watch that match and share the same view ? What is he fucking drinking / sniffing. :thumbdown:. We have very luckily recovered to gain a 1-1 draw against a side that is bottom of the league and he talks like it's some sort of sign of a comeback. Utter bollocks.

Any reasonable combination of our players in any reasonable formation should fucken beast Watford, home or away.

This has little to do with Poch or Levy.
Player power has gone too far.
Poch should condemn the players who are poisoning the well and promote youth. We will get behind that approach.

The fact VAR ripped ANY sliver of joy out of celebrating an equaliser we should have long since have scored, tells me VAR is gonna KILL the game.

A draw at home to Watford is barely cause for celebration .... but we weren't even afforded THAT!

I just wanted a winner to erase the confusion of the equaliser...

Sadly, the team couldn't even muster up that!

Sad times.

Can't say I entirley disagree, but that wasn't really the point I was addressing....

I've been hearing "3CBs doesn't work" for the best part of 2 years now. It's not an inherently flawed formation.

The reality is that we have a West Ham level midfield. That is the truth. When we had beast mode Dembele and Wanyama we could play whatever formation we wanted, nobody is going to be able to stop us with those two.

Winks and Sissoko on the other hand are easy to play against. It’s not possible to play the type of football Poch likes with these players. There is a reason that Sissoko never got a sniff until Dembele left the team. It’s foolishness to expect such an inferior player to do the same job.

We need to play in a different way if we want to win matches. A player with such severe deficiencies as Sissoko cannot be a starting midfielder for a team that has 70% of the ball. He can’t do anything with it. He suits a team that plays on the break using his power to transition from defence quickly.

Again... Fair comment.

However, considering we're prone to shipping goals right now... Playing an extra defensively minded player needn't be a huge sticking point though.

4231 doesn't mean we'd magically be anymore dynamic, energised and press better and we'd still have the same issues with our 2 CMs not dominating proceedings (see my initial post).

Because it has been since.

We've been playign side-to-side shit in it for ages.

I have not said 4231 is a magic bullet.

It is the shape that will give us the most scope, at this stage, to get things back in order.

He just has to choose the right personel and bring in GLC and Sess asap and not fart around with his precious preparation with them.

This game is yet another example where we've changed to it, from 3 at the back, and it's benefited us.

As per original post, I'm addressing what's now a 2 year old narrative.... And like I suggested above, you'd at least hope more defensive minded players would equate to less soppy goals being shipped.

As I previously pointed out; formation does not = tactics.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom