Tottenham Hotspur v Swansea City (14th Dec)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Question here about the defense on Swansea goal.

Routledge fooled Davies and beat him down the line. Davies knew he was beat, gave up on Routledge and ran to the center. Vert took about 2-3 steps and seemed to have a angle to get to Routledge, but stopped.
With no one marking him, Routledge easily found Bony in front of the goal.

Question is, should Davies have chased Routledge, should Verts have kept going to try to get to Routledge - or should he have stayed with Bony - who actually gave Fazio a big push to create space to receive the ball?
Who really cares?
Today was a tremendous result against a very good side especially at home. Yes we struggled in defence but they were excellent getting forward. Walker and Davis, what a breath of fresh air, may it long continue. We all know our frailties but let's be posative and keep looking forward and stop looking for points to question and complain about. All 11 players played their part today and subs. Good substitutions which changed things for the better.

On motd they said that when last time they praised harry Kane someone at spurs social media told them not to do it.

Wft would the club not want Kane to get any praise?

Levy's got him on a zero hour contract , if he's praised his head could be turned

Who really cares?

Who really cares? F U

I ask a legitimate question - and made sure not to point blame at anyone - so I REALLY care. Unlike many others on here - I am not here to rant about players or the team. I'm a Yank and admit I don't know as much as I would like about the game. so F U - I care!

Routledge fooled Davies and beat him down the line. Davies knew he was beat, gave up on Routledge and ran to the center. Vert took about 2-3 steps and seemed to have a angle to get to Routledge, but stopped.

Question is, should Davies have chased Routledge, should Verts have kept going to try to get to Routledge - or should he have stayed with Bony - who actually gave Fazio a big push to create space to receive the ball?
I think Jan should have gone to close down Routledge - as you say, he was in a great position to do so. Personally I think Jan has a bad habit off backing off - he doesn't want to commit - but given the dynamics of that move perhaps Jan should have gone, with Davies going on to cover the position Jan would leave. Only my opinion mind, But a fair question.

Oh, one final thing.

I've criticised Jan in the past for not showing any emotion or passion, and looking as though he couldn't give a fuck that he's on a football pitch.

Well his celebrations with the lads for the winning goal was more than enough to convince me that he cares. Like a fan, it was pure, uncontrollable delight.

As the weeks pass I feel we are getting our team-of-the-season Jan back, and today was another step in the right direction.

Oh, one final thing.

I've criticised Jan in the past for not showing any emotion or passion, and looking as though he couldn't give a fuck that he's on a football pitch.

Well his celebrations with the lads for the winning goal was more than enough to convince me that he cares. Like a fan, it was pure, uncontrollable delight.

As the weeks pass I feel we are getting our team-of-the-season Jan back, and today was another step in the right direction.
Yep, and Poch seems to be creating some real team spirit. We keep going till the end - the rest will come in time.

I think Jan should have gone to close down Routledge - as you say, he was in a great position to do so. Personally I think Jan has a bad habit off backing off - he doesn't want to commit - but given the dynamics of that move perhaps Jan should have gone, with Davies going on to cover the position Jan would leave. Only my opinion mind, But a fair question.
Thanks for helping a nube out. I was thinking that - but thought Jan must know better than me.

My opinion-

Like you say Davies was fooled, poor defending there to let Routledge get away.

It was one of those situation where Davies could have ran back himself to get to Routledge or Vertonghen could have come forward to cover - either if done correctly would have sufficed. Since Davies decided to run back to cover CB and let Vert run to the ball he should have given Vertonghen a shout to go the ball. Whether or not he did that is unclear.
Vertonghen in that instance was afraid to get out of position because he was unaware of where Bony was- he just knew that he was somewhere behind him (Davies had a full view of the final third hence why he should be giving Vert a shout) so tried to stand off and position himself in a good area to cut off any cross. He should been aware that Fazio was marking Bony, and closed down Routledge.

So yeah there was bad defending by both Vertonghen and Davies, better communication would have fixed it.

Well,this is a great win ,no doubt about it. The problem is when we are filled with optimism after a good win then we crash back down to earth next match

and then we bounce back :kaboullol:

I think Jan should have moved towards Routledge as well, but perhaps something like that will come with a better understanding and communication between the players (eg if Jan knows that Davies, or a DM like Stambouli, will cover for him). It hasn't helped that we haven't settled with a clear best/first 11 yet, but the hope is that it can come with time.

Re watching Motd, questioning myself.

Ha ha sammyspurs sammyspurs has had an absolute mare.

MOTD could make Charlie Adam look like Pirlo.

I watched the game mate, and the guy scored a lucky rebound due to the fact Fazio had him covered yet again, and was denied maybe three one on ones by our defence, keeper or by generally being too fat.

Did he make a single run with the ball, take anyone on and have a dig from distance?

If he was skinny, Im not sure people would be admiring his skills to be fair. Being strong is not a talent.

I like strikers who track back and help the midfield, and if they dont, they need to be like Berbatov or Lineker.

Id rather Benteke personally......when is he signing by the way?

Holy Fuck.

Watched the first 75 minutes then had to head off to work. :lennon:

Kept radio silence. :adethumbup:

Came home and satellite dish covered in snow. :chadliblow:

Out in the back yard scraping off dish at 11 o'clock at night (big snow storm). :freund:

Spursy, yo. :adesalute:

88th minute or so................GLORY! :eriksenlol:

Then signal went out on DVR recording. :lamelashock:

Heart in throat. Final score line reviewed online.:paulinhofacepalm:

Fucking Yes.:walker-scream:

Who really cares? F U

I ask a legitimate question - and made sure not to point blame at anyone - so I REALLY care. Unlike many others on here - I am not here to rant about players or the team. I'm a Yank and admit I don't know as much as I would like about the game. so F U - I care!
Football is full of ifs and buts.

No need to get all shirty - I know you care I was suggesting who cares about your detailed analysing of their goal. It doesn't matter? The weather conditions were very poor and this is not common.

Your legitimate question is a scenario that happened on the day and because of all the factors will not happen again, so irrelevant. I don't want to piss you yanks, I know what happens when you lot get excited?

We have frailties at the back and it will improve with time. For me our full backs are sorted with Walker and Davis so our CH will improve. CH's only need to play the game in front of them. Position and reading the game is the important factor here.

" so F U - I care!" F U ...Fun Up -I will?

Thought we were lucky to come away with a win but who cares. Yeah we are scraping results but more importantly we are wining even though we are playing badly...so it has to get better then imagine what will happen we will be smashing team 6-0

Back
Top Bottom