Tottenham Hotspur v. Man. U. (Home), 20 Jan 2013 16:00

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Madness. Obika better than Defoe. Despite all the hate for Defoe on here, I didn't realise people had started believing Obika is better.
I'm definitely not saying Obika is better than Defoe, I'm just saying that maybe he deserves a chance. At least off the bench. Not having a backup striker on the bench could be dangerous. Besides, he scored a brace recently for the U21's, and hes 22 years old, if he's not ready now then he never will be. I think he should get a chance against leeds in the FA cup game.

Look, i'm not saying he should start. All i'm saying is that he's good enough to be on the bench (and as a late sub). We have only 1 proper striker ffs...

No mate, but someone else said Obika should start ahead of Defoe, which I responded to by asking how many he thinks Obika would have scored this season. The implication being, how many if he had been starting games this season ahead of Defoe.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson tells BBC Sport: "We did so well at everything and we kept heading it out, the disappointment is not finishing them off. We had a lot of opportunities on the counter attack but our final ball let us down.
"It was a clear penalty-kick on Wayne Rooney but in no way was the the linesman going to give that. He gave them everything else :troll: . We have not had a good record with this linesman, against Chelsea a few years ago he gave onside to Didier Drogba who was three yards offside, you remember those things.
"They pumped the ball forward, maybe David De Gea could have got a better punch on it, but I will have to see it again.
"Tottenham were very committed and aggressive. I think they have a decent squad and a good team.
"If you look at our away programme we have been to Everton, been to Liverpool, been to Manchester City, been to Chelsea, been to Tottenham... We have been to all the top teams away from home."

Manchester United, 5 points clear at the top of the Premier League, came to White Hart Lane and parked the fucking bus. Without Kaboul, Vertonghen, Sandro, Adebayor and half an Assou we played them off the fucking park and they scraped a draw. Brilliant.

ifEwmC7CEe1nG.gif

I'm definitely not saying Obika is better than Defoe, I'm just saying that maybe he deserves a chance. At least off the bench. Not having a backup striker on the bench could be dangerous. Besides, he scored a brace recently for the U21's, and hes 22 years old, if he's not ready now then he never will be. I think he should get a chance against leeds in the FA cup game.

I'm certainly in favour of him being on the bench/getting a chance against Leeds. In the post I responded to you said you don't want to see Defoe up front any more, and would prefer to see Obika playing up front. That's why I'm asking how much better off people think we would be if Obika was our first choice striker. I think we'd be fucked.

I watched the match in the Plymuff branch of a well know Aussie themed bar that does 241 drinks during football matches. I'd say it was probably 80:20 United to Spurs. My Strongbow-fuelled celebration was wilder than Dempsey's. Damn that felt good! Shut my Utd supporting best mate up a treat too.

Seriously though, Defoe was worthless today.
Has been a fantastic player for the club, but we need to step up in this dept. Its the natrual progression. I would even go ss far to say that Ade has outstayed his welcome, when he wants to perform, he is the best, unfortunatley the guy is a fuckin maverick, and he keeps letting people down. The squad picked today showed how they can play for the cause, we are not that far away from a world class outfit.

Back
Top Bottom