Tottenham Hotspur v Man City [UCL QF] - Tuesday, April 9th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You're still in with a shout for Europa League qualification (my sympathies!) so there's hopefully none of the 'already on the beach' syndrome from your boys. As for Tielemans, unfortunately for Leicester I reckon the 'shop window' he's been given will attract some bigger boys with deeper pockets. If we can qualify for the Champions League next season there's no reason for us to not to be in with a shot

I think I'd rather finish 8th than get Europa League - it seems a horrible slog, particularly for clubs with smaller squads. Be nice to get "BOTR" I guess, although I'm not sure entirely why.
And I think Tielemans would improve most teams, but would be a great fit for you if Erikson fucks off. What are the chances of Poch prising open Levy's purse this summer - will you have much to spend? (Btw - a Sutton fact from last night which stayed with me - net spend since Pep arrived - Man C £370m, Spurs £47m).

I think I'd rather finish 8th than get Europa League - it seems a horrible slog, particularly for clubs with smaller squads. Be nice to get "BOTR" I guess, although I'm not sure entirely why.
And I think Tielemans would improve most teams, but would be a great fit for you if Erikson fucks off. What are the chances of Poch prising open Levy's purse this summer - will you have much to spend? (Btw - a Sutton fact from last night which stayed with me - net spend since Pep arrived - Man C £370m, Spurs £47m).

Which makes yesterday's win sweeter but with nothing won (in tie or since Spendiola arrived) it's a tad hollow.

English football fans are quite funny. So many would rather win a 2nd rate domestic cup that pays a proxy £1M, not even covering likely wage/bonus increases created by participation, than compete in the Europa that will pay £25M+ and offer a direct path to the CL as reward for winning.

:pochrolleyes:

The stadium build has obviously limited the funds available for transfers in the last couple of years', but if this season's tough competition to Champions League qualification shows, we can't rely on our current crop of players without adding and upgrading. In addition, there's the Eriksen and Alderwiereld cunundrums to deal with.

Dismissing the Europa is pretty stupid. Quite apart from anything else, the history books show that only a handful of teams have won more than 3 European trophies in their history. That's why I'd hate Woolwich to win it this year - not because of CL entry, but because it would count as the first decent European trophy in their history. Sure, they've got a Cup Winners Cup - but that one was always the ugly sister to the European Cup and UEFA Cup.

Winning any European trophy is some way ahead of the FA Cup in terms of achievement. Well, apart from the Intertoto or Fairs Cup obv.

Last edited:
English football fans are quite funny. So many would rather win a 2nd rate domestic cup that pays a proxy £1M, not even covering likely wage/bonus increases created by participation, than compete in the Europa that will pay £25M+ and offer a direct path to the CL as reward for winning.

:pochrolleyes:

Don't misunderstand me - I'd love to win the EL - but I don't think we'd have much chance. For those members of the top 6 who fail to make the top 4 it makes perfect sense to go after it, which is why they generally start as favourites. For those in the places just below who don't have the squad to cope, it disrupts pre-season, screws up summer transfers and inevitably leads to a poor league start before being dumped out anyway. Even if you do progress through the seemingly endless early rounds by beating the likes of some unpronounceable Danish outfit of which you were hitherto unaware you will invariably bump into the sides who drop out of CL and generally go on to win it.

Spent about 10 minutes on Blue Moon. Cunts, every one of them was happy Kane got injured.

and... they're calling their players "Leroy, Kev, Gabb" omfg plastic wankers.
They all piped up and starting singing the minute he limped off thinking our lot would fall silent in pure fear and they would stroll to victory.

How did that pan out again...

Which makes yesterday's win sweeter but with nothing won (in tie or since Spendiola arrived) it's a tad hollow.

Understood, but it does make it undeniably sweeter. Especially when you factor in that Man C were preparing (ie buying players on his say-so) for at least 2 or 3 years before Pep actually arrived the gap is probably even bigger in reality. It's good that despite enormous advantages, behemoths can still lose in the biggest competitions.

Back
Top Bottom