****Tottenham Hotspur V Man City **** Tuesday 8 o clock in the afternoon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You want us to win ?

• Yes

Votes: 91 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 216 59.3%
  • Don’t care

Votes: 24 6.6%
  • BREXIT MEANS BREXIT

Votes: 33 9.1%

• Total voters
Everyone I have ever met from TFC will tell you I am the most optimistic fan out there. I always think we are going to win and always predict a win.

I always want Spurs to win every game but I really couldn't face winning the the league for the Scum last night.

Probably for the first time in my life I was happy for us to lose for the bigger picture.

If that makes me a bad fan in the eyes of people that just don't understand the rivalry, I'll live with it.

Good post.

I think we all agree it was a shit situation, but the prospect of the scum winning the title was/is awful. Hopefully City finish the job on the weekend so it wasn't a waste, and we batter sheffield united to end the season on something of a high, secure 5th, and go into next season with Europa league football to look forward to.

Exactly.

Everyone just needs to move on from this now and hope we get over the line for fifth. It’s obvious the manager isn’t happy and neither are the fans. I think it’s brilliant. Nobody is now happy with fifth. It hasn’t been like that in the past. Isn’t that what we all want, not being satisfied?

I am more happy most fans are not to concerned with top 4. It’s not a trophy and we have made it one these past few years, I’d rather build towards cups and trying for a league title charge that might take time to put together rather than short term 4th place each season as the only goal

City fan in peace here.
Guys and gals I know you don’t like us
Most fans don’t
I still think about that final years ago and hate watching it
But if there’s one thing we have in common is our hatred for those cocky over celebrating
Diving time wasting tactical timeout cunts.

You did us proud and I’m glad we could oblige
With our somewhat nervy victory.

I thought you put in a decent performance
Nobody can say you didn’t try win the game

Ignore that rag twat burt and whoever is gonna put the boot in as they just don’t understand real rivalry

So thanks again for your support you can go back to hating us and all the cheat stuff knowing you at least stuck the biggest spanner of all time into those arsenholers title challenge

How we are seen

Tottenham descend again into small-club mentality
JASON BURT Chief Football Correspondent, at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium

Spurs fans celebrate with the Poznan dance adopted by Manchester City supporters

We saw the Poznan. Except it was coming from Tottenham Hotspur fans inside the stadium; not from Manchester City. Those Spurs supporters turned their backs on the pitch and bounced up and down in unison celebrating.

It was a City goal that led to that reaction and so we had our answer. The acid test would always be what happened when City scored. Or Spurs. And so when the first goal arrived, early in the second half, the extraordinary response said it all.

It angered manager Ange Postecoglou and what he said spoke to the heart of just what Spurs are and what they want to achieve and maybe what is holding them back. It was almost an existential dissection and it was anchored in fury. Asked whether he wanted to give a positive spin, with foundations being in place Postecoglou angrily shot that down. “No, I think the last 48 hours has revealed to me that the foundations are fairly fragile, mate,” he said.

“That’s just what I think. I just think the last 48 hours have revealed a fair bit to me. That’s all right. It just means I’ve got to go back to the drawing board with some things.” What did he think of the fans chanting ‘Are you watching Woolwich?’ after Erling Haaland’s first goal? “I’m not interested, mate. I just don’t care,” Postecoglou said before adding, somewhat ominously: “It’s been an interesting exercise.” It was about “outside [the club], inside, everywhere”. “Maybe I am just out of step,” Postecoglou continued before stating he just wanted to win and “so what other people, how they want to feel, and what their priorities are, are of zero interest to me”.

Who was he criticising? The fans? The club? The media? It felt like it was everyone. Pre-match and Postecoglou could not have been clearer. He had spoken of his disbelief that Spurs fans might actually want their team to lose this game, to spite Woolwich and damage their title hopes, and here it was happening in front of his eyes. He looked absolutely furious and disbelieving.

He had a point. What happened when Haaland tapped home – some Tottenham fans even clapped – felt like a small-club mentality. It might be argued it was belligerence but it signalled defeat and it ended Spurs’s dwindling hopes of qualifying for the Champions League.

Surely that is what should have been pre-occupying them? Catching Aston Villa and finishing fourth – possible with a win as Villa had a trickier final day fixture away to Crystal Palace with Spurs at Sheffield United – had to be the priority in furthering their own ambitions.

Yes, it may have effectively handed Woolwich the title. Yes, it may have led to more songs and goading with them having last been champions 20 years ago when they gained a result at White Hart Lane. But, so what? Football is about winning. Not about worrying about rivals and Spurs have diminished themselves and Postecoglou’s reaction showed how he felt.

When that chant of “Are you watching Woolwich” rang around the South Stand it felt like a weight had been lifted. Instead it was a yoke being applied and an inferiority complex being confirmed.

Before that those fans did not know whether to laugh or cry; whether to be angry or militant or enjoy the painful absurdity of it all. And, so, instead they were subdued until City scored. This was as muted as it has ever been here.

It was surreal with Spurs and City half-and-half scarves being touted outside before kick-off and middle-aged men staring earnestly into the TV cameras up and down the Tottenham High Road declaring they would rather “sell their mother” than see their team help Woolwich win the Premier League.

“We’re not really here,” chanted the City supporters and it seemed like many of those home fans would have nodded in agreement. It did not look like they really wanted to be here. Or, once here, they did not know what to do. Inside two minutes a loud rendition of “stand up if you hate Woolwich” rang around but it was not particularly intense. It was heard again after half an hour but by then the muscle memory of backing their team had slowly begun to kick in, a little. Did they want their team to score? Did they want their team to win even if it switched the advantage to Woolwich in the title race? Certainly it felt, when they attacked, like they did even if they may have been responding by instinct rather than rationale. But it did not feel natural.

The City goal shifted the dynamic a little on the pitch and Spurs had chances even if a draw would not have been enough. If anything it was the worst result of all – it would still have meant they could not overtake Villa while it would have installed Woolwich as title favourites. No doubt they would have said it was, well, the most “Spursy” thing to do especially as it would mean little for them and everything to their neighbours.

Instead it was Haaland who ended it from the penalty spot. This time both sets of fans sang “Are you watching Woolwich?” while there was a loud and prolonged chorus of “When the Spurs go marching on”. It riled Postecoglou even more. His interpretation? That was just defeatism not defiance. He had it right.

What a load of waffle.

We hate Woolwich, be fucking bizarre if we wanted to help them win the title.

This so-called journalist has forgotten what it means yo be a fan.

City fan in peace here.
Most fans don’t
But if there’s one thing we have in common is our hatred for those cocky over celebrating

Ignore that rag twat burt and whoever is gonna put the boot in as they just don’t understand real rivalry

So thanks again for your support you can go back to hating us and all the cheat stuff knowing you at least stuck the biggest spanner of all time into those arsenholers title challenge
Can you go and be condescending somewhere else? Do not mistake hatred of Woolwich for some sort of "support" for your fucking awful plastic oiled up shit club.

"You did us proud". Fucking hell.

Begone.

Don't know about you - but
  • I still support Spurs with all my passion
  • I will wake up every day and look forward to what it brings
  • I will still live in my house,
  • The cars and house will still be mine
  • I doubt my health will change much
  • I will still love the music I love
  • and love my wife and son as much as I do
  • I will still miss my Mum and Dad and wish I could embrace them one more time
  • I will still enjoy the job I do

When some journalist writes something nothing in my life will change really.

There will be no consequences - and season 24-25 will start in the same way every season does - me believing that this will be the year
Jesus wept
I didn't write it
You don't have to throw my words at me, they are just as correct Today as the were pre match. They were in response to someone who said there were consequences if we won.
There aren't

Everyone I have ever met from TFC will tell you I am the most optimistic fan out there. I always think we are going to win and always predict a win.

I always want Spurs to win every game but I really couldn't face winning the the league for the Scum last night.

Probably for the first time in my life I was happy for us to lose for the bigger picture.

If that makes me a bad fan in the eyes of people that just don't understand the rivalry, I'll live with it.
My last sentence sums me up, and I am happy with the result, it's just some of the shit people have been saying that makes me cringe.
You in comparison are the voice of reason

Well that was an experience I never want to repeat! Probably the quietest I've ever been at a game and so many mixed emotions in the space of 80 minutes. Yes, I confess I left early, couldn't bear it any longer.
The whole evening was surreal and I never want to feel like that again. Such a horrible situation for supporters to be in, whichever way it was going to go, we weren't going to be 100% happy.
I would feel exactly the same. That is why i did not watch the game, as there would be too many confusing thoughts in my mind.

Ath the end of the day, I'm just happy the boys played well, but im even happier they lost.

Never again please

If EVER there was a football match to justify wearing one of these, then this is it!
1455464303607_lc_galleryImage_MANCHESTER_ENGLAND_FEBRUA.JPG
I saw SO MANY last night!

It was quite fun in the end...

No dramas, no in-fighting...
Just an honest defeat to a VERY good Team.

Sorry Woolwich, but it was NEVER gonna happen!

There's always too many Woolwich chants. We should only ever sing about them when we play them.

Granted there were different stakes tonight but the sooner we leave behind the small town obsession the better.

Save the passion for when it counts in the NLD
Tell that to Ange and the players

I doubt you would have been in the stadium cheering on City goals or shouting at the manager and players in the dugout to throw the game.

Also didn’t see you in here (or on socials if you have them) telling other fans they aren’t Spurs if they want to win.

To make it clear, I doubt very much you are one of those that I’ve had an issue with. Even if you were at the end of the day we are all Spurs so will eventually just move on like b every other gut punch we always get…

Just that right now, for me this feels worse than all of them combined.

I think you know where I stand mate.

Our season wasn't screwed last night, it was 4 losses on the bounce, it was "that" Chelski game. It was attackers standing on Vic for corners, which should of only happened once, then dealt with on the coaching ground, how many times did that hurt us ?

And all said and done, even if we had won last night, it was still not in our control. Europa sounds about right to me (assuming we get over the line). This squad and team are not ready for CL even with new blood, which will no doubt have to bed in, over the Summer. Europa gives us a good chance of progressing in the competition while still having a good go at the league position.

COYS

City fan in peace here.
Most fans don’t

Go fuck yourselves and fall off a Cliff at the same time

Back
Top Bottom