Tottenham Hotspur V Liverpool

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great stats as ever MFF.

BTW am I right in thinking we hold the British all-time record of 8 consecutive victories in European competition (10 if you include the Feyenoord byes?) in 06/07?

Today should see us equal that, if we win?
There is no way in hell we can consider the Feyenoord games for statistical purposes

Worth noting also the first Spurs manager in Premier League History to inherit a team who finished in the Top 4 twice in the 3 years prior.

But he's kept it up which is the main thing, I'm not knocking him, as Moyes is finding out continuity is not always as easy as it looks on paper.

But you can't compare what he has to work with to anything like the squads in the past.

You cold also say Arry inherited Comolli's good work - goes both ways, mate

Statistics don't meant a great deal IMO. Otherwise you couldn't have a manager like AVB sitting on the top of the statistics table without winning major honours, yet Bill Nick further down, despite 8 top hours. The longer a manager's tenure the more chance for dips in form and/or good runs that lead to trophies. Equally if a new manager comes in and he's won 3 out of 4 games he'd have a percentage of 75% and therefore would top the table above anyone.

Statistics don't meant a great deal IMO. Otherwise you couldn't have a manager like AVB sitting on the top of the statistics table without winning major honours, yet Bill Nick further down, despite 8 top hours. The longer a manager's tenure the more chance for dips in form and/or good runs that lead to trophies. Equally if a new manager comes in and he's won 3 out of 4 games he'd have a percentage of 75% and therefore would top the table above anyone.
Very true.
Which is why I also included a table showing the Major Honours won by all Tottenham Hotspur managers.
Bill Nicholson with 8 of the 17 Major Trophies won by Spurs is obviously head and shoulders above everyone else.
André Villas-Boas has been in charge for 78 matches going into today's game against Anzhi Makhachkala, which I think is a fair number of matches on which to base a statistical record.

I get your point, but it just means you've got to choose which statistics you pay attention to get a realistic picture - it doesn't mean stats are useless. I mean the winners of all those competitions Bill won were chosen by looking at stats. Without them, football's pretty much just crap ballet.

Well I disagree. I don't think you understand that lots of Spurs fans do think he's crap, otherwise they wouldn't make the disparaging, belittling, disrespectful remarks they do about Daws. And as I've mentioned before I'm not necessarily talking about Spurs 'supporters' on here, I'm talking about Spursdom in general.

Also Daws doesn't sit behind Vlad and Jan, he stands in front of them, and deservedly so. They are not better than him, Dawson is our captain and one of our first choice CBs, as he has proved time and again this season and last.

If Vlad and Jan were both fit, I would still play Daws against Pool.

No chance. I rate Dawson. But against a player like Suarez you need a different style of defender. Suarez is not going to try and win the ball in the air or bully the centre back with strength. He will turn them inside out and embarrass them with technical ability. Dawson is vulnerable to that.

I thought we sat a little deeper against Sunderland...might be an idea v Liverpool either way
I suppose it depends on how you view pretty football really.

I personally find a team controlling possession, being patient, pulling the other team about etc, very pleasing on the eye.

Other people like us to surrender the ball to create counter-attacking opportunities.

Neither is right or wrong because it's a personal opinion.

Posted this in the ticketing thread but anyone know how much a face value ticket would have been in the PL lower for the Liverpool game off the top of their head?

"daily express":
gossip...rumours....
"...THIS EVENING'S transfer news sees Tottenham winger Erik Lamela's proposed loan move to Atletico Madrid..."

Back
Top Bottom