Tottenham Hotspur v Crystal Palace - FA CUP 5th Round

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We haven't got a massive, experienced squad and even Man City and Woolwich didn't play full strength teams.
Bentaleb hasn't played consistently for ages, neither has Mason. Onomah is hardly a regular starter either and has no experience as such. Dier moved into defence with Wimmer for what, the 2nd time. Yet were we outplayed and murdered?
We have not been outplayed or played terribly in any of our loses.
It happens. It just wasn't our day.
The stats show quite conclusively that we were NOT outplayed at all. That, in fact, we mostly dominated the game. As you say, it was simply one of those days, and these things happen. It's also the FA Cup after all, where anything can happen and the big teams frequently do go out at all stages. Anyone who has followed the game for any length of time knows this and I'm incredulous at the idea that just because we're having a decent season that means we can stroll through any knockout competition. The game just doesn't work like that.

"Not too much to ask"? Where do you get off on this sort of nonsense?

If it were "not too much to ask" we'd have finished in the top four a great deal more times than we have and won a good many trophies over the past 25 years as well......except that we haven't.

Top four isn't easy, and neither is winning a trophy - especially in a knockout competition where anything can happen. Just ask fans of the majority of clubs in the PL, who can only dream of being where we are now. I can't believe that after so many seasons reaching fifth or worse we've got people crumbing because we're not sweeping the board. Why are you, of all people, melting so badly?

Jesus Christ, will people be a bit fucking grateful for what has been, and will likely be, been a great season however you look at it.

Completely agree.

Give people a drip of success and all of a sudden not winning the double is a failure.

It's a shame because we could have played the scum in the final. Now they can do the double. I'm really not happy. Poch fucked up today.
Yea he did. The loss hurts because they always do, but then we find out that we would have drawn Reading in the next round and it's like someone twisted the knife in our belly.
:walkercry:

Fuck off with that straw man bullshit. You're not going to get away with that game with me. I'm not saying we couldn't pull it off, I'm talking about the melter attitude that our season is a wash because we're out of the FA Cup and we should all be sitting around miserable because the team has unacceptably underachieved by not winning the double (or treble!). It's a ridiculous attitude....and yes, you bloody well are melting. Would I be talking to you like this if you weren't?

This is one of our best seasons of the PL era so far. To act like we've come up short is bonkers.

I'm going to bad, as this sort of bullshit just makes my blood boil.

Oh bollocks you old tart. I say we can win the league you say no. I say we threw the cup? You say no. Straw man? That's your reply to everything. Just where do you stand?

The stats show quite conclusively that we were NOT outplayed at all. That, in fact, we mostly dominated the game. As you say, it was simply one of those days, and these things happen. It's also the FA Cup after all, where anything can happen and the big teams frequently do go out at all stages. Anyone who has followed the game for any length of time knows this and I'm incredulous at the idea that just because we're having a decent season that means we can stroll through any knockout competition. The game just doesn't work like that.

We played a weak team. Suck it up.

We played a weak team. Suck it up.

We didn't though.

2 played because of injuries (Vorm & Wimmer). Out of the remaining 9, there were 6 or 7 who would be in most people's best eleven. I say 6-7 because Dier was "out of position" and Son vs Lamela is debatable. Only 2 players, Bentaleb and Onomah, can unquestionably be deemed as weak selections. And that sort of rotation has to happen with 3 days no matter what with less than three full days and travel imho.

Stop going on about 'young team'. I know they're young. Surely it's not to much to ask to finish 4th or better and win a cup, a cup where we were comfortably the beat team left in it?. Up until today I thought we'd win the league. I don't think that now. I think Poch fucked up. It all got too much for him.

Couldnt have thought up a better post to exemplify a knee jerk reaction, you are quit the fool. From about a week ago posting non stop about how we will win the league and you are not afraid to say it blah blah to this, a really quite pathetic reaction to a very close game which couldve gone either way.

My two pence worth.....

1. Nabil was fucking dreadful yesterday. He seems to be playing with a chip on his should and thinks "I am only playing because he is resting other players for more important games so fuck them".
2. I thought a few players looked really tired. Dier for example.
3. I thought Son was our best goal threat, so I was suprised Poch took him off.
4. Hindsight is a marvelous thing. If we win the league or EL, then I will forget about this. If we finish 4th and crash out of the EL to Fiorentina, then I will be fucked off that we have wasted the FA Cup AGAIN.

Last edited:
. what is so difficult about supporting the team through thick & thin?
We all support the team through thick and thin. All of us. But when we get knocked out of the FA cup by a team we should be beating comfortably some of us just seem to get more upset than others.

Last edited:
My two pence worth.....

1. Nabil was fucking dreadful yesterday. He seems to be playing with a chip on his should and thinks "I am only playing because he is resting other players for more important games so fuck them".
2. I thought a few players looked really tired. Dier for example.
3. I thought Son was our best goal threat, so I was suprised Poch took him off.
4. Hindsight is a marvelous thing. If we win the league or EL, then I will forget about this. If we finish 4th and crash out of the EL to Fiorentina, then I will be fucked off that we have wasted the FA Cup AGAIN.
how is Bentaleb supposed to get back to last seasons form if he plays 1 game then doesn't play for a few weeks?

Another cup competition thrown away. Poor team selection Poor performance in a game we did not deserve anything. Hope palace go onto win it.

Potch has done magnificently to get us to second in the table. But its quite obvious he has no regard for our domestic competitions. He showed that at southampton. It does piss me off. But if we win the league then he will be held as a club legend and rightfully so.

Winning the treble was unrealistic,but i do think the fa cup would of had less impact on our league campaign than the europa cup.

Everybody wanted a win .
If we don't play our best 11 then we will struggle with a few changes . Understandably a few
we're rested and we paid the price . My concern is we always should play our best 11 in the league
and not tinker between Euro ( anybody in the crowd) games , leaving ourselves short for
Top4/ league title push . . Realistically we are not strong enough to battle on all fronts and will cost us. our decent chance of the league .
Poch has done amazingly on little (net) investment and no quality back up striker .
We all have great expectations but let's focus on the most important and win it .

Last edited:
Disappointed to be out of the FA Cup. It remains a trophy that I really want us to win despite its ever diminishing status.

That said, it happens, and on another day we would have won that game. It certainly wasn't as if we were pummelled by a better team.

What has struck me though is that certain players are either playing too often, Dier is unquestionably one of those. Whilst one or two, injuries aside, haven't been able to deputise with the same intensity as those they replace. Bentaleb is the obvious player to stand out here, and whilst I'm unsure if his contract behaviour and seemingly openly courting of Italian clubs has meant that even when fit he is still not getting selected but I'd have much preferred that he had some more time on the pitch prior to yesterdays game, if only to keep him sharper for competitive fixtures.

All that said, I can't be critical of this team, or at least not overly. If this defeat goes some way to us remaining title challengers then so be it.

Back
Top Bottom