Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea <removed>s

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great tactics-focused write-up here:
Mauricio Pochettino shows how it is possible to beat Chelsea’s 3-4-3 formation | Michael Cox

Mauricio Pochettino has earned a reputation as a fine tactician, and this was a very impressive strategic performance by the Tottenham Hotspur coach against Antonio Conte’s 3-4-3 system – the first time anyone has truly outwitted Chelsea in that shape.

Since Conte switched to 3-4-3 after a 3-0 defeat against Woolwich at the Emirates Stadium in September, Chelsea had won all 13 league matches, and had been so utterly dominant that opposition managers have found themselves terrified of playing their regular system for fear of being torn apart. The problem, though, is that no one had actually worked out which alternative shape to deploy either, and the most dramatic change in system from an opposition coach – Ronald Koeman sending out his Everton side in a 3-4-3 formation, matching Chelsea across the pitch – resulted in Conte’s most comprehensive Premier League victory, 5-0. Pochettino’s decision to use a 3-4-3 of his own, therefore, was a very brave move – although the 4-1 weekend win over Watford in that shape proved very useful preparation.

Throughout much of the first half, it was obvious Spurs had sought to match Chelsea’s system, and the two sides effectively cancelled out one another. Neither side was capable of finding midfielders in space: Mousa Dembélé and Victor Wanyama were up against N’Golo Kanté and Nemanja Matic in a particularly feisty central battleground, while Danny Rose was tracked by Victor Moses and Marcos Alonso nullified Kyle Walker. In a 3-4-3 versus 3-4-3 battle, the midfield quartets were locked together closely.

Tottenham dominated possession, however, and there was a difference in how the teams pressed. Chelsea’s three forwards pressed sporadically, but Pedro Rodríguez and Eden Hazard often dropped back to keep Chelsea compact, allowing Spurs’ centre‑backs time on the ball. The left-sided centre‑back Jan Vertonghen, in particular, looked to bring the ball forward from defence and the majority of Spurs’ promising attacks in the first half came down that flank. Rose’s incredible pace and stamina became increasingly obvious, forcing both Pedro and Moses into clumsy tackles, while Dembele found space by drifting left and going on one of his typical, mazy slaloms between opposition defenders.

Pedro and Hazard offered surprisingly little counter-attacking threat, partly because Wanyama and Dembélé protected the defence well. Chelsea’s most memorable counter-attack was launched by Diego Costa through the centre of the pitch, which resulted in an almighty squabble between him and Pedro when the latter made a poor run. Hazard, so often the catalyst for Chelsea’s best attacking play this season, was quiet by his standards and the away side’s most promising approach was playing through-balls for Costa, who had a running battle with the linesman’s offside flag.

Tottenham pressed more intensely and forced Chelsea’s defenders to play longer, often unsuccessful passes from the back. Their two attacking midfielders, Christian Eriksen and Dele Alli, played important roles and tended to drift inside into central positions. Without possession they pushed inside to help press Chelsea’s central midfielders, which often left the Chelsea wing-back on the far side unattended, and with possession they took up clever positions, which contributed to Alli’s opener. Eriksen was always drifting between the lines, while Alli is in fine goalscoring form and at times played more like a second striker. It was not entirely surprising, then, that Spurs’ goal came from Eriksen finding a pocket of space and dinking a perfect cross on to the head of the onrushing Alli, who looped a header past Thibaut Courtois. That, in first-half stoppage time, was the first shot on target of this contest, summarising a game when both teams seemed determined to stop the other.

Chelsea started the second half strongly, enjoying longer spells of pressure – although this allowed Tottenham more counter-attacking opportunities, and it took less than 10 minutes of for them to double their lead. The second goal was a carbon copy of the opener – after Eriksen exchanged passes with Walker, he again curled a perfect cross into the path of Alli, making a near-identical run, to head home once again. Chelsea, clearly, had not learned their lesson – and while their defence has been absolutely superb in recent months, Cesar Azpilicueta’s lack of height means he’s somewhat vulnerable to powerful far‑post runs to meet deep crosses.

Alli was the hero, but the real matchwinner here was Eriksen. In a fast-paced contest based around pressing, physicality and a clear clash of similar systems, the Dane was the only pure playmaker on show, and the only performer playing the game at a more reserved tempo, varying his position intelligently to find space away from his direct opponent. Indeed, it may have been crucial that Gary Cahill was booked for clumsily rugby‑tackling Eriksen on 38 minutes – having previously shut him down extremely quickly, suddenly the centre‑back was reluctant to move out from defence, and Eriksen found freedom. He took full advantage with two delicious assists.

The secret to success is creating a team that is bigger than the sum of its parts.
Poch has achieved that.
B'LIEF is our 12th man.
Is he the pacy Nigerian we've just signed then?

30k spurs in full voice last night, is there a better ground?, biased of course but is there?
other clubs with twice that capacity not even coming near to a very special night
I'd actually forgotten there was a reduced capacity, such was the sheer vocal intensity last night...

- we were loud last night, and much louder than Chelsea when they beat us at Stamford Bridge.
One of my silent farts is louder than Chelsea fans on any given matchday!
The only thing i've ever heard out of their vile gobs is Hissing... so it's no surprise they can't muster up any other noise!
They don't even sing the Celery song any more. I imagine most of their new 'in-breed' of fan probably don't do irony, and simply think it's nonsense... besides, why sing songs when you can hiss!??

Conte is not nice by any meaning of the word, except the strictly technical sense of "competent" coach.

He certainly showed an effective way to beat them and winning a tactical battle vs Conte automatically means that Poch is a top tier coach in the world bar noone.

Admittedly I am not following the PL very closely this season but I was stunned at yesterday's job by Poch and our guys.

On paper Poch mirrored the same formation as Conte but the movements were very different, with Eriksen being the key player tactically. His hybrid position between CAM and CM specifically. Contrary to Alli who had the task to guard Azpilicueta during Chelsea's possession, Eriksen was given the task to stay close to Matic, while Wanyama was free to help the teammates and press the man with the ball, leaving Cahill as the free man as he's technically the weakest of Chelsea.

In possession, instead, Eriksen was actually the third CM, that let us win the midfield battle together with Dembele and Wanyama. Eriksen's and Dembele's positions, wider than Kante and Matic, was what caused trouble to Conte (together with Walker and Rose pushing both very high to keep Moses and Alonso busy).

The goals being so similar derives from this exactly. Eriksen's position created a passing line that Chelsea was not able to cover. He was set free to do what he does best, assist his teammates. And that is the ultimate goal of a coach imo.

So hats off to Poch and a big middle finger to the scum.
I agree totally , you summed it up far more eloquently than I did in previous posts.
However, I have to disagree with conte, he may have got schooled by Poch, but he doesn't seem like a cunt to me. Never heard him be disrespectful to anyone. He is tainted associating himself with that club and it's snide players, but I don't think he seems a bad bloke.

I agree totally , you summed it up far more eloquently than I did in previous posts.
However, I have to disagree with conte, he may have got schooled by Poch, but he doesn't seem like a cunt to me. Never heard him be disrespectful to anyone. He is tainted associating himself with that club and it's snide players, but I don't think he seems a bad bloke.

Conte seems a decent sort, although don't forget his tainted time at Juve for match fixing.

I think it may be just lost in translation, yes he is not a cunt in the way Mourinho or Pardew is but could probably be a right bastard if you don't do the business for him

I agree he is a superb manager, and you can understand why he is doing well, Roman got lucky with this appointment

It might count that I am Italian and not a Juve fan :)

That is: everyone dislikes him (as a person) except juventini here. And not because of rivalry alone. I don't know how he is behaving in England but in Italy he was pretty much an arrogant prick in the Mourinho style, but without his intellectual stature.

watched both goals again just now and trying to work out if they were just two good, improvised crosses or if the whole move was something we'd worked on.
Both times Eriksen plays the ball out to walker and just waits while 2 or 3 of their defenders press the ball. walker immediately gives it back (possibly) already knowing that there will now be space there for eriksen to take time to cross. Meanwhile, because of that press and kane's movement keeping him in the near post area and occupying luiz and cahill, a space to attack opens up at the far post for alli.
Exactly, Kane did more than people thought. He kept Cahill and luiz preoccupied, pulling them about, as did Eriksen and Walker, oand Dele found space on probably their weakest side

Cracking analysis of pretty much every aspect of what happened last night..

My only slight gripe was the weird wording in the description to the 2nd goal;
Walker passed to Eriksen, Eriksen crossed for Alli, Alli beat Courtois with a header. It was a carbon copy of the opener, but Tottenham will not care. They were 2-0 up.

He says it as if that's a bad thing? Why would we care?

Surely the whole point of working on tactics/formations in training is to try them in matches, and if they work, then great, the training was worth it... and if they work again in the same match, even better!
Who says you only have to try each 'tactic' just the once?

It might count that I am Italian and not a Juve fan :)

That is: everyone dislikes him (as a person) except juventini here. And not because of rivalry alone. I don't know how he is behaving in England but in Italy he was pretty much an arrogant prick in the Mourinho style, but without his intellectual stature.
Well you'd know better then. Maybe his cunty arrogance gets lost in translation:)

Conte seems a decent sort, although don't forget his tainted time at Juve for match fixing.
Yes, but he was 'cleared'. :confused:
I don't like Juve, mainly down to some Italian bloke I knew well from Turin in the early 80's Marco. From a well to do family. His attitude was like a Man U fan, so arrogant. He was obsessed with them
It seemed to me that if he was the type of fan Juve had then the real Torinese would be Torino.
I had a dislike for them ever since.
Kind of like how, imo, the real mancs support Man City, until recently.

Wonderful stuff!

I love after Dele's first goal the guy in the PL wearing a grey hat hugging Kane like a long lost Son...:sonpoint:
(no, an actual Son!) You can see there's real love there!

Anyone one on here spotted themselves on there yet?

I love it when the players celebrate with the crowd (even if it gets a ridiculous booking!!)

It irks me sometimes whenever we score at the Park Lane, the scorer/players do tend to wheel off in the direction of the West Stand (yeah yeah, I know their loved ones are sitting up there... but there are also a good few thousand in the Stands who I bet love them as much!!)

Last night more than made up for that...

I was too busy picking myself up off the East Lower floor to see just how many Spurs players ran over to celebrate with the crowd... it was pretty much all bar Lloris & Poch wasn't it?
:llorishuh::pochsulk:

watched both goals again just now and trying to work out if they were just two good, improvised crosses or if the whole move was something we'd worked on.
Both times Eriksen plays the ball out to walker and just waits while 2 or 3 of their defenders press the ball. walker immediately gives it back (possibly) already knowing that there will now be space there for eriksen to take time to cross. Meanwhile, because of that press and kane's movement keeping him in the near post area and occupying luiz and cahill, a space to attack opens up at the far post for alli.

It will be drilled attacking move

Got some 'difficult' matches out of the way, Chavs twice, Woolwich away, Utd away. Only game I'd be a bit concerned about is Dippers away. I'm quietly confident about City away as well.

On our day we're as good as, if not better than the ones above us. We should go into every match without feeling any inferiority. Happy that the media don't consider us as a threat, fuck them.

I was thinking this as well. Dippers away is probably the only match I would go in saying I would be happy with a point. More so, we have Citeh in a few weeks and at dippers in just over a month. So I would say at that point, we are really poised to make a run at this thing if we can maintain anything close to current form. We would have our toughest 8 fixtures out of the way.

Just read about a ridiculous decision by the officials last night, I thought I was going mad - In the first half Danny Rose took a throw in to Kane, the Lino put his flag up for offside, I shouted about how you can't be offside from a throw in.. Twat who sits behind me said it was for a free-kick.
NewsNow: Loading story...

I'll have great pleasure in telling the know all Cunt next game..

Did anyone notice Azpeilcuta running to the touch line to be being given a pill just after dembele went off when they were caught offside after?

Did anyone notice Azpeilcuta running to the touch line to be being given a pill just after dembele went off when they were caught offside after?
sshh! You'll have that bloke back on here who used to mention the running-ability upgrade and inhuman fitness levels the other teams suddenly have. Remember him? I don't remember his name but this was way before the Leicester rumours of last season.

Every post he did, IIRC.

Back
Top Bottom