Tottenham Hotspur v Chelsea <removed>s

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

ElIXAtt.jpg

I reckon that being just about mathematically "safe" now was probably the biggest thrill of the night for some of the pessimists on here.

Last edited:
still buzzing, even a visit to the dentist hasn't changed that.

30k spurs in full voice last night, is there a better ground?, biased of course but is there?

other clubs with twice that capacity not even coming near to a very special night

I live in Tottenham Hale near the tube station...when I came home after the game, my Mrs said she could hear us singing the Dele Alli song and Oh When the Spurs after the second goal from inside the flat! She's never heard any crowd noise from the stadium before- we were loud last night, and much louder than Chelsea when they beat us at Stamford Bridge.

No mate. He was a snake like shapeshifting twat throughout. I hope him & his racist bunch fall to mid table or worse. They are shit if you keep Costa & Hazard quiet. I'm no manager but it's becoming fucking obvious how to shut them up. Poch schooled Conte tonight. As he had a full squad (minus Lamela) to choose from. We destroyed the league leaders with ease. They have hit their peak. We are just warming up. COYS
As a person, he's too nice. Imagine mourihno post match when interviewed he would have been blaming Atkinson.
chelsea are cunts, yes. However, he isn't really. My opinion anyway.

It's strange, when you think back to that awful awful run we had against them (y'know, the curse that went on for what seemed like decades!) It started way back when they were actually shit... and yet year after year, we still couldn't beat them!
Yet once they actually put together a half-decent side, we seem to have much more success against a clearly better team than one with Michael Duberry, Babayaro and Tore Andre Flo in it... and they were in the team that thumped us 6-1 at home 20 years ago (remember those dark days?)

I know our team has improved vastly too... but it seems we seem to fare better against a better Chelsea team somehow, than we did against many of the shit ones!

Football's a weirdo sometimes!

All that's needed now to complete the set, and finally lift what's left of the 'curse', is to win at their place... I think we had an excellent, last season at 2-0 on HT... but then proceed to spontaneously combust!
Before that, I guess our best chance in recent memory was when Hossam Ghastly put us 2 (or was it 3) up in the Cup...

...but it can't be too long now until we finally do it!
I was at that 6-1 thrashing among a few other depressing games against them. It all makes a victory like last night all the more sweet.

I live in Tottenham Hale near the tube station...when I came home after the game, my Mrs said she could hear us singing the Dele Alli song and Oh When the Spurs after the second goal from inside the flat! She's never heard any crowd noise from the stadium before- we were loud last night, and much louder than Chelsea when they beat us at Stamford Bridge.

As we won yesterday and everyone is in good spirits, any pics of the missus?

still buzzing, even a visit to the dentist hasn't changed that.

30k spurs in full voice last night, is there a better ground?, biased of course but is there?

other clubs with twice that capacity not even coming near to a very special night
Love the Lane.

The only away grounds I've been in the UK that have been like WHL is on a top night like last night, are Burnley for the league cup semi final when they nearly beat us, Man Utd when they won the league in 99 (I know Old Trafford is shite usually), and Cardiff in the FA Cup in about 2008. Those are the ones that stand out, anyway. Cardiff was probably the best of those, considering it was a 0-0 draw, hard to tell objectively how it compared to the Lane- but their new ground is shite.

Of course, it's a lot to do with the occasion. But if you look for instance at West Ham last season when they beat us, which is a similar sort of occasion for them, beating a more successful rival club who are above them in the table, (and the Boleyn Ground was one of the best places for atmosphere), I think the Lane at its best tops it.

As a person, he's too nice. Imagine mourihno post match when interviewed he would have been blaming Atkinson.
chelsea are cunts, yes. However, he isn't really. My opinion anyway.
But somehow that Mourinho feeling about Chelsea just seem to stick with them IMO. And any team he ever coached really.

It was a very tactical game and we showed discipline in abundance.

I said yesterday that the Chelsea team are nowhere as good as 13 wins would suggest and that if you took Costa and Hazard out they would be nothing special.

We can play a lot better but are usually prone to an error or two which thankfully did not happen last night.

I think we are still in a position where it is one of 3/4 for the title (still think we are a striker and attacking midfield option light) and 4 out of 6 for the Champions League places.

No doubt however that we are nobody's pushover and that means we command respect from all.

Good feeling.
We made a couple of errors last night, vertonghen was daydreaming at the start 4 mins or so in to not be in line with the other 3 and gave hazard a really good chance.
The 2nd hazard chance was a bit soft too, but he bottled it.
Apart from that we were solid. I think walker and rose stopping Moses and alonso from getting forward played a big part.
I said before I think Kane made the space for Dele by keeping Cahill and Luiz preoccupied and Eriksen came deep and found lots. Dele slipped in between their two wide defenders and done them twice.

We made a couple of errors last night, vertonghen was daydreaming at the start 4 mins or so in to not be in line with the other 3 and gave hazard a really good chance.
The 2nd hazard chance was a bit soft too, but he bottled it.
Apart from that we were solid. I think walker and rose stopping Moses and alonso from getting forward played a big part.
I said before I think Kane made the space for Dele by keeping Cahill and Luiz preoccupied and Eriksen came deep and found lots. Dele slipped in between their two wide defenders and done them twice.

Would be funny when the Belgium boys all get together on international duty to find Verts, Toby, Dembele and Chadli all treat the likes of little Eden as their bitch. Poor Batshuayi came on for yet another pointless sub appearance, he maybe rolling in it. However I bet he wishes he could experience our atmosphere week in, week out.

watched both goals again just now and trying to work out if they were just two good, improvised crosses or if the whole move was something we'd worked on.
Both times Eriksen plays the ball out to walker and just waits while 2 or 3 of their defenders press the ball. walker immediately gives it back (possibly) already knowing that there will now be space there for eriksen to take time to cross. Meanwhile, because of that press and kane's movement keeping him in the near post area and occupying luiz and cahill, a space to attack opens up at the far post for alli.

Conte is too nice for Chelsea.
Conte is not nice by any meaning of the word, except the strictly technical sense of "competent" coach.
Poch schooled Conte tonight.
He certainly showed an effective way to beat them and winning a tactical battle vs Conte automatically means that Poch is a top tier coach in the world bar noone.

Admittedly I am not following the PL very closely this season but I was stunned at yesterday's job by Poch and our guys.

On paper Poch mirrored the same formation as Conte but the movements were very different, with Eriksen being the key player tactically. His hybrid position between CAM and CM specifically. Contrary to Alli who had the task to guard Azpilicueta during Chelsea's possession, Eriksen was given the task to stay close to Matic, while Wanyama was free to help the teammates and press the man with the ball, leaving Cahill as the free man as he's technically the weakest of Chelsea.

In possession, instead, Eriksen was actually the third CM, that let us win the midfield battle together with Dembele and Wanyama. Eriksen's and Dembele's positions, wider than Kante and Matic, was what caused trouble to Conte (together with Walker and Rose pushing both very high to keep Moses and Alonso busy).

The goals being so similar derives from this exactly. Eriksen's position created a passing line that Chelsea was not able to cover. He was set free to do what he does best, assist his teammates. And that is the ultimate goal of a coach imo.

So hats off to Poch and a big middle finger to the scum.

Back
Top Bottom