Tottenham Hotspur v Brighton (26th Dec) (12:30pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That's not being a realist. Every step, you're projecting the worst. That's pessimism.

Thanks for proving my point yet again...

Whether it be points accumulated or % of games being won, we are essentially closer. Unless your point is that we don't need to win more games to reach such targets...?
Saying we could get top 4 isn't projecting the worst is it?

Closer to what? Top 4 is not a trophy.

Another hard game to watch. I'm not seeing anything different in performances or when Mourinho says he has spent the last year adapting his methods.

He’s got to change the entire mentality of a team that’s been going backwards for a year. He’s been in the job like 8 weeks lol

Time will of course tell, but fuck me

I'm supporting the wrong club because I want to win more that 1 trophy in 19 years? You're telling me we can't build success and win more than one trophy?

If trophies are the benchmark of "success", then yes. Despite what the Dippers think, NO club has a right to win trophies. They must be competed for. You stated that we should be winning two or three trophies a decade, then pick an amount of years that conveniently misses out a SECOND trophy in 20 years. Go back a little further and we won another; in 29 years we've won 3 cups. Is that enough for a club of our size or stature? I'm not the one to answer that, but when you want a minimum of two per decade, there's one per decade. By your own metric, that's not too far away.

There's other things to consider. Have you not seen the big fucking beautiful building in the middle of Tottenham? That's progress. The swanky training ground? The fact that since 2013 we have NOT sold any of our best players* that we didn't need to. The fact that we now have a world class manager that has won EVERYTHING. Are these not all signs of progress? How about continuing to break our transfer record, all at a time when we are told we don't spend?

We are building things the right way. In an era where corrupt Russian Oligarches and corrupt Countries are hiding money in sport exist. That's what we are competing against. And yet in the same era, we've LOST four cup finals, and fallen short multiple times in semi finals. There's your missing trophy numbers. Small margins.

The bottom line is we could have won more. It comes down to the players. They are weak, mentally. We now have a coach that isn't. Let's see what happens.

*Kyle Walker aside. But obviously he was sold with the manager's blessing.

So trophies aren't a benchmark of success but a big ground and a training ground is? I don't think Newcastle and sunderland got the memo on that one.

This board wasn't in charge in 1999 when we won the league cup. We've won no trophy this decade, you think the likes of Kane is content with winning nothing? We are doing things in a particular way because that is what we are forced to do with the resources we have it's got nothing to do with some kind of moral crusade. Most fans don't really care too much about where the money comes from.

You have a point about the players being mentally weak but I blame the management and the board also.

2 financially doped clubs have been hoovering up a large chunk of domestic trophies for the last 15 years.... Us, Liverpool, Scum ... Even Man Utds trophy-rate has dropped as a result. (Not that we've been prolific since the early 80s anyway!)

Yet in the face of such adversity we're bigger and have regularly achieved higher league finishes, multiple CL qualifications and a bunch of finals.

....And yes, managed to build a bling new stadium with the proceeds t'boot.

We don't live in a black and white world... No, trophies aren't the only metric.

Last edited:
2 financially doped clubs have been hoovering up a large chunk of domestic trophies for the last 15 years.... Us, Liverpool, Scum ... Even Man Utds trophy-rate has dropped as a result.

Yet in the face of such adversity we're bigger and have regularly achieved higher league finishes, multiple CL qualifications and a bunch of finals.

....And yes, managed to build a bling new stadium with the proceeds t'boot.

We don't live in a black and white world... No trophies aren't the only metric.
If we get fifth place people will consider that a success then right? That's punching above our weight and well worth the 15 million a year we are paying Jose.

If we get fifth place people will consider that a success then right? That's punching above our weight and well worth the 15 million a year we are paying Jose.

1 thing at a time please.

I'll happily field questions as and when you acknowledge the points made to you...

I acknowledged them, I even went along with your side of argument.

Where....?

I didn't chop any of your reply off.

You seem to be flopping back to implying that JM has to win the league/CL again.

Meanwhile you can't even bring yourself to acknowledge that we're doing ok for now compared to the final days of Poch.

Back to an earlier unanswered question...

"What's happened to you man? .....Are you just sulking and pining for Poch?"

Where....?

I didn't chop any of your reply off.

"If we get fifth place people will consider that a success then right? That's punching above our weight "
You seem to be flopping back to implying that JM has to win the league/CL again.
That's not my requirement, that's what some other people expect.
Meanwhile you can't even bring yourself to acknowledge that we're doing ok for now compared to the final days of Poch.
We were 14th when we left so we are obviously doing better but we also lost to Man Utd and Chelsea without a fight and scraped past Wolves and Brighton. Generally I feel this team is on the decline and Jose has some rebuilding to do.
Back to an earlier unanswered question...

"What's happened to you man? .....Are you just sulking and pining for Poch?"
I didn't answer it because I don't know what that means. How do you think I was before?

"If we get fifth place people will consider that a success then right? That's punching above our weight "

Well, that comes across as an extention of a somewhat loaded question.

If that's genuinely your opinion then, thanks for sharing, but it does none-the-less fly in the face of the overall sentiment you're projecting.

That's not my requirement, that's what some other people expect.

Then let it go; engage with me on the basis of your OWN opinion then and let others represent theirs.

We were 14th when we left so we are obviously doing better....

....And how many posts has it taken for you to eventually conceded this much? :roll:

but we also lost to Man Utd and Chelsea without a fight and scraped past Wolves and Brighton.

Generally I feel this team is on the decline and Jose has some rebuilding to do.

Maybe, but you're projecting that a) we won't attempt to and b) that he's not capable whilst claiming accross various threads that this is merely you being a "realist".

I didn't answer it because I don't know what that means. How do you think I was before?

i.e. Not so terminally pessimistic... On the subject of us, you're skulking round like TheHood-light atm.

Give it (us) a chance is all I'm urging.....

Question in the interests of moving forward:
Having found ourselves 14th over a 3rd of the way into the season and struggling at both ends of the pitch; what would you consider a relatively pleasing outcome to our league campaign this season?

Well, that comes across as an extention of a somewhat loaded question.

If that's genuinely your opinion then, thanks for sharing, but it does none-the-less fly in the face of the overall sentiment you're projecting.

Then let it go; engage with me on the basis of your OWN opinion then and let others represent theirs.

....And how many posts has it taken for you to eventually conceded this much? :roll:

Maybe, but you're projecting that a) we won't attempt to and b) that he's not capable whilst claiming accross various threads that this is merely you being a "realist".

i.e. Not so terminally pessimistic... On the subject of us, you're skulking round like TheHood-light atm.

Give it (us) a chance is all I'm urging.....

Question in the interests of moving forward:
Having found ourselves 14th over a 3rd of the way into the season and struggling at both ends of the pitch; what would you consider a relatively pleasing outcome to our league campaign this season?
Top 4.

Back
Top Bottom