Tottenham 9 Bristol rovers 0 22.10.77

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Neumanator

You're a long time dead
I caught this on BT Classics the other day, and the memories came flooding back. I've heard @Flav ask a few times, when chatting on the Podcast to older supporters what it was like as Spurs back in the day, and what the difference was between now and then. This match encapsulated perfectly what footy in the 70s was all about. Kids sitting and straddling the hoardings around the pitch side, long haired young scallys in groups laughing, joking and generally being lairy whenever the camera was on them, a sea of scarves on show after every goal and that ripple effect you had when the fans surged forward dow the packed terraces.
Particular highlights were:
● the amount of young kids - from about 9 years upward - going to The Lane in a group with mates, under no adult supervision.
● cops lining the perimeter on the pitch (to stop the inevitable pitch invasions).
● Youths being led along the touchline with their arms held back behind them by a cop for misbehaving (generally being involved in a punch up of some sort). In one particular instance, a lad of approximately 16-18 yrs was being lead away as described when a wayward ball left the pitch and was going to run off just behind him. In spite of his arms being restrained he makes an attempt to extend a leg out behind him to trap the ball. I nearly pissed myself laughing.
● after a goal, there's a shot of Terry Naylor with two young interlopers, one hugging Naylor around the waist while another has jumped up into his arms, and Naylor rubs his hair affectionately. In fact, after every goal scores of youngsters run onto the pitch and grab and pat the Spurs players closest to them.
● the amount of black kids in attendance. Not particularly noteworthy you might say, but this was the period when the National Front was at it's peak and most football grounds had groups of NF thugs hanging around and in the case of teams like Millwall, Chelsea, West Ham etc had vociferous racist chanting from the terraces. Tottenham was, in the main, highly resistant to this anti black/brown bullshit, and in fact often had Anti-Nazi League pamphlet sellers outside the ground.

At the final whistle, Anarchy ensued. Hundreds of spectators ran on to the pitch, mobbing the players, police and stewards battling to hold them back and pretty violent scenes as fans are flung to the floor, fisticuffs between fans and the stewards while 10 year olds run up to gurn into the pitch side cameras. To top it off, a horde of early to mid-teen kids are mobbing Colin Lee - a 4 goal scoring debutant in this match - and then attempt to chair him off the pitch, but the kids being of diminished height and strength can only manage to lift him about 2 feet of the ground.

As we approach 2017 and the forty year anniversary of this game, the stark juxtaposition of the match day experience as it was then compared to today's sanitised, homogenised, highly regulated (and all seated) affair makes for sobering contemplation. Football has certainly changed, but not always for the better.

Watched this slaughter from the Shelf nearest the Paxton End, just setting up home in Lower Edmonton.
Missed the 9-1 against Wigan , their goal was Handball but memories pure memories

Here it is in condensed form...

Did Mabbutt play for Rovers that day?
EDIT: Answer; NO... he joined them in '79

Just looked it up... along with a very interesting article as to why Rovers/fans are also known as "The Gas"!!

I caught this on BT Classics the other day, and the memories came flooding back. I've heard Flav Flav ask a few times, when chatting on the Podcast to older supporters what it was like as Spurs back in the day, and what the difference was between now and then. This match encapsulated perfectly what footy in the 70s was all about. Kids sitting and straddling the hoardings around the pitch side, long haired young scallys in groups laughing, joking and generally being lairy whenever the camera was on them, a sea of scarves on show after every goal and that ripple effect you had when the fans surged forward dow the packed terraces.
Particular highlights were:
● the amount of young kids - from about 9 years upward - going to The Lane in a group with mates, under no adult supervision.
● cops lining the perimeter on the pitch (to stop the inevitable pitch invasions).
● Youths being led along the touchline with their arms held back behind them by a cop for misbehaving (generally being involved in a punch up of some sort). In one particular instance, a lad of approximately 16-18 yrs was being lead away as described when a wayward ball left the pitch and was going to run off just behind him. In spite of his arms being restrained he makes an attempt to extend a leg out behind him to trap the ball. I nearly pissed myself laughing.
● after a goal, there's a shot of Terry Naylor with two young interlopers, one hugging Naylor around the waist while another has jumped up into his arms, and Naylor rubs his hair affectionately. In fact, after every goal scores of youngsters run onto the pitch and grab and pat the Spurs players closest to them.
● the amount of black kids in attendance. Not particularly noteworthy you might say, but this was the period when the National Front was at it's peak and most football grounds had groups of NF thugs hanging around and in the case of teams like Millwall, Chelsea, West Ham etc had vociferous racist chanting from the terraces. Tottenham was, in the main, highly resistant to this anti black/brown bullshit, and in fact often had Anti-Nazi League pamphlet sellers outside the ground.

At the final whistle, Anarchy ensued. Hundreds of spectators ran on to the pitch, mobbing the players, police and stewards battling to hold them back and pretty violent scenes as fans are flung to the floor, fisticuffs between fans and the stewards while 10 year olds run up to gurn into the pitch side cameras. To top it off, a horde of early to mid-teen kids are mobbing Colin Lee - a 4 goal scoring debutant in this match - and then attempt to chair him off the pitch, but the kids being of diminished height and strength can only manage to lift him about 2 feet of the ground.

As we approach 2017 and the forty year anniversary of this game, the stark juxtaposition of the match day experience as it was then compared to today's sanitised, homogenised, highly regulated (and all seated) affair makes for sobering contemplation. Football has certainly changed, but not always for the better.

Football really isn't (nor will it ever be) like this any more.

*adopts a sad face* [this is pre-emoticons!]

Watched this slaughter from the Shelf nearest the Paxton End, just setting up home in Lower Edmonton.
Missed the 9-1 against Wigan , their goal was Handball but memories pure memories
I was in the Paxton, but it didn't matter where you were in the stadium, everywhere was rowdy and noisy!

The internet hasn't helped regarding modern football. Its has helped propagate the plethora 'experts' and knee-jerkers.

We went to the game and either Pre or post match went to the supporters club to buy our train or coach ticket for the next game.

Didn't think any more of it until you met your mates the following week at Liverpool Street or Euston.

There was never any in-depth post-match analysis amongst us. Probably too busy looking for the away support.

Last edited:
Rovers were my local side growing up and I still follow them and get to the odd game, I was only 5 when this happened but my old man says the return match at eastville ( then Rovers home ground) was carnage.

Spurs turned up in their thousands, in all areas of the ground and effectively took over inside and outside the ground.

Rovers were my local side growing up and I still follow them and get to the odd game, I was only 5 when this happened but my old man says the return match at eastville ( then Rovers home ground) was carnage.

Spurs turned up in their thousands, in all areas of the ground and effectively took over inside and outside the ground.
I went to quite a few away fixtures in that year of relegation, and after the previous season of heartbreak and poor results, a year kicking about in the second division - and clearly being head and shoulders above most teams in the quality of players - presented an opportunity to celebrate a kind of success, so consequently the support was fantastic, home and away.

A bit of topic but I cannot remember when and which team it was, but we got this non league side in the FA cup and they decided to host it at WHL! probably most we ever brought to an away match (bar for that semi cup against wolves in highbury). Wish I could find a video of that cup tie.

Does anyone else remember Wimbledon hosting us at palace and we had 3 corners of the ground?

Was on the Shelf. Absolute bedlam.

Lovely description Neumanator Neumanator

Going to football really was fun back then.

The old cliche of 'things were better back in the day' doesn't always prove correct, and certainly there were a lot of things wrong with football in the 70s and 80s, but despite all of the problems, I believe that the match day experience then was far more fun and inclusive than the 'product' now being offered. It may only be 40 years or so, but it's an absolute world away. If you could transport a 20 - 30 year old supporter back in time to a 70s game, they'd think that they had wandered onto a set from Mad Max, lol!

The internet hasn't helped regarding modern football. Its has helped propagate the plethora 'experts' and knee-jerkers.

We went to the game and either Pre or post match went to the supporters club to buy our train or coach ticket for the next game.

Didn't think any more of it until you met your mates the following week at Liverpool Street or Euston.

There was never any in-depth post-match analysis amongst us. Probably too busy looking for the away support.

Ha ha.. as you rightly say, there wasn't time to discuss the intricacies or consequences of a result on leaving the stadium, as it generally involved avoidance of getting a kick-in, issuing a kick-in or legging it to WHL railway station to catch the train before the huge wave of passengers arrived!
Watching the match again after all these years made me see players, like your namesake, through different eyes. Back then you took the banter and exchanges between fans and players as the norm, but 40 years on and you realise how much closer the relationship was. Seeing Terry Naylor being almost paternal or like a friendly uncle to the youngsters surrounding him on the pitch was a lovely thing.

Back
Top Bottom