Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not the easiest thing for some of us...

most-obese-man_650x400_81490762542.jpg
I saw this post just as I was about to eat my first mouthful of lunch.

I passed.

:conteshock:

The £86m loss isn’t a cash loss.
Whilst you are right, player amortisation has to be dealt with somehow. Buy a player for 50m and the options are deduct the whole amount of 50 m out of the Profit and loss in year 1 or take 10m a year for 5 years. Whilst some players will be onsold for more money that will go straight into the P & L account others will run down their contracts and go for nothing. In the latter case if there was no player amortisation we would have to take 50m out of profit In year 5. It is not ideal but is a very real expense,

Whilst you are right, player amortisation has to be dealt with somehow. Buy a player for 50m and the options are deduct the whole amount of 50 m out of the Profit and loss in year 1 or take 10m a year for 5 years. Whilst some players will be onsold for more money that will go straight into the P & L account others will run down their contracts and go for nothing. In the latter case if there was no player amortisation we would have to take 50m out of profit In year 5. It is not ideal but is a very real expense,
Didnt we take a 72 million depreciation charge on the stadium?

Didnt we take a 72 million depreciation charge on the stadium?
Yes and again does the value of the stadium decline.? well the stands at the old WHL did as they were demolished, However the stadium was revalued and increased in value. As long as the stadium is regularly maintained unlike Old Trafford then that is much more of a non real expense. All companies devalue fixed assets like this and whilst I am not sure I think it saves tax.

I'm putting this out there mainly to see if I'm the only one or if others feel the same as me - but currently I just really don't care whether or not we make the Champions League places next season or not..

Would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts, and perhaps it's partly to do with the fact that 5th place could still be enough, but compared to the run-ins of the past when we've been going for UCL places, it all just seems a bit... meh at the moment. Am I wrong?

I kinda feel the same. There was a time when breaking into the top 4 seemed like an amazing achievement and that it would spring board us to greater success…well that didn’t happen.
I now want us to prioritise winning a trophy above anything else.
Would be ideal if we got CL football next season for the higher revenue and player recruitment benefits but rather than be eliminated in the knockout stages I’d prefer if we dropped down into the EL and had a good go at winning that.

I personally would like to be in the EL as the away trips are better. For example I remember when we played in Georgia when we had around 70 odd fans. Five of us in a pub there, 2 of us complained about food arriving late then when we got back we had the violent shits for a week (as they must have put something in it...). Those are what it is all about. (I have so many memories I could write a book).

I have never rated the CL it's just about money in the grand scheme of things. Sure I'm glad I've been to pretty much every big ground now with Spurs in it but give me the EL.

That said I think we will qualify for the CL. We'll finish between 9th and 24th in the new CL league stage and go into the knockout play off round which we'll squeeze through and then lose in the Last 16. Then we can concentrate on qualifying for the CL again so we can repeat it all in 2025/26.
We remember your memories of cheap hookers, Kiop’s sandwiches and Borat

Was chatting to a mate yesterday about spurs
- going over those games you will remember for ever.

Madrid at Wembley, crouchie in Milan, Bale against Inter, Ajax away, the sterling VAR call.

All of these happened due to us finishing Top 4.

Can anyone name 5 Europa league nights that matched those for drama? Ones you can remember easily that you get goosebumps thinking about?

Top 4 is where it’s at. Anything else is just accepting mediocrity. Fuck that.

I want some more CL memories. I don’t want to be a Goldilocks football club.

“CL is too hard!! Conference league is too shit!!!Europa league is just right!!!”

Fuck off!! Top 4s our everything!!! Say it with pride.

Madrid at Wembley, crouchie in Milan, Bale against Inter, Ajax away, the sterling VAR call.

Can anyone name 5 Europa league nights that matched those for drama? Ones you can remember easily that you get goosebumps thinking about?

“CL is too hard!! Conference league is too shit!!!Europa league is just right!!!”

I get the argument for EL being more winnable on paper but we always struggle in it.

I've not really felt it since the champions league final.

Our first few games this season seemed to promise something then that Chelsea game came and we reverted. Still not sure what happened, maybe the players started to feel the expectation and lost their heads. Its a chicken and egg situation. No trophies for a long time creates pressure and expectation which stops us winning trophies. Ange is a great coach but we are going to need a lot of luck to break that cycle.

Great post

Very fair post. The Wembley night vs Madrid was just incredible. Over 80,000 Spurs fans and it was so damn noisy. Nice to remember!

I now want us to prioritise winning a trophy above anything else.
This. I see friends' kids who have never seen us lift a trophy. My daughter was too little to really remember it. They've never felt that real glory of being the ultimate victor. I want them to experience that joy.

If we do qualify for the CL, we properly aim to win, not to 'see how far we get'. If we're in the EL, likewise. And the domestic cups. Even the bloody conference cup. Enough experimenting with squad players and giving Fraser Forster his annual outing. If we are in a competition, we go all out to win. Strongest team possible. That is the principal objective of being in a competition and that is what is going to finally give us fans a proper buzz.

It's been said before but I definitely believe winning any of the cups can build a winning mentality something which thanks in no small part to our owners we just don't have .I always want to finish as high up the league as we can but winning something would be my priority. Unfortunately our best chance of this happening is having owners who want success on the field not just the balance sheet .It is scandalous that kids are growing up supporting Spurs without seeing us win something .

Villa drop points at home against Brentford. Luiz with a yellow card and will miss the Arsenle game. Luton beat Bournemouth meaning Forest are now only out of the relegation zone on goal difference.

Back
Top Bottom