Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I posted similar comments to the thread poster a few weeks back. In the days before we were challenging for CL I still wanted to win every match and end up the highest possible whether that was 10th instead of 11th. So I would be happier if we finished 4th than any lower.
However with the pathetic Cup runs i would still consider this season a failure. Not taking advantage of no Europe to win a domestic cup. I remember our Cup runs in the Eighties and 1991. We raised our game in the cup and were winners. In 1991 Gaza our best player had injury problems and missed several league matches but played and made the difference in the FA Cup. This would not happen nowadays and Kane who left because of our lack of a trophy was left on the bench in early round cup matches.
I now consider winning a trophy more important than getting CL football. However the whole attitude at the club including supporters needs to change for that to happen. We have 3 matches a week this week but had 1 of those been a cup match I doubt we would have seen such a strong team played. Mourinho said when here there was no bonus for winning a cup but clearly in getting CL and if it has not changed then it must. Fans on cup match threads pick teams including kids/ fringe players to rest first teamers. Clearly not interested in cups.
Whilst money is important it is not the only consideration as MU have the money but since Fergie retired have underperformed. I hope Ange is the man to take us forward but his insistence on no plan B and recent performances suggest other teams have worked out how to defeat his style. We do seem to be recruiting better players but desperately require another regular goal scorer to replace Kane’s goals.
To summarise I am not excited about the top 4 race but still want to end up as high as possible. However our poor cup runs mean this is not a good season Whatever the outcome.

From the BBC 😆
"It also has Liverpool as favourites after recent results, and Gracenote head of analysis Simon Gleave says the difficulty of Woolwich's next five fixtures - against four top-half teams plus Chelsea, with three away from home - is a key factor."

:sonpoint:

How much money do you think we need to spend to compete with City - who have been allowed to breach all the financial rules.

We have NET Spend of half a billion quid over the last 5 years. Only topped by United, Chelsea and Woolwich. United and Chelsea are good examples that you can't spend yourself out of trouble.

Until City are punished, the EPL title is out of reach; and for everyone else; it's a top 4 race.

I'm not convinced there has been enough public outrage over City's cheating. A media campaign and a boycott to force urgent action was needed - but City had the $$$ to make the story go away very quickly.

I personally would like to be in the EL as the away trips are better. For example I remember when we played in Georgia when we had around 70 odd fans. Five of us in a pub there, 2 of us complained about food arriving late then when we got back we had the violent shits for a week (as they must have put something in it...). Those are what it is all about. (I have so many memories I could write a book).

I have never rated the CL it's just about money in the grand scheme of things. Sure I'm glad I've been to pretty much every big ground now with Spurs in it but give me the EL.

That said I think we will qualify for the CL. We'll finish between 9th and 24th in the new CL league stage and go into the knockout play off round which we'll squeeze through and then lose in the Last 16. Then we can concentrate on qualifying for the CL again so we can repeat it all in 2025/26.

I posted similar comments to the thread poster a few weeks back. In the days before we were challenging for CL I still wanted to win every match and end up the highest possible whether that was 10th instead of 11th. So I would be happier if we finished 4th than any lower.
However with the pathetic Cup runs i would still consider this season a failure. Not taking advantage of no Europe to win a domestic cup. I remember our Cup runs in the Eighties and 1991. We raised our game in the cup and were winners. In 1991 Gaza our best player had injury problems and missed several league matches but played and made the difference in the FA Cup. This would not happen nowadays and Kane who left because of our lack of a trophy was left on the bench in early round cup matches.
I now consider winning a trophy more important than getting CL football. However the whole attitude at the club including supporters needs to change for that to happen. We have 3 matches a week this week but had 1 of those been a cup match I doubt we would have seen such a strong team played. Mourinho said when here there was no bonus for winning a cup but clearly in getting CL and if it has not changed then it must. Fans on cup match threads pick teams including kids/ fringe players to rest first teamers. Clearly not interested in cups.
Whilst money is important it is not the only consideration as MU have the money but since Fergie retired have underperformed. I hope Ange is the man to take us forward but his insistence on no plan B and recent performances suggest other teams have worked out how to defeat his style. We do seem to be recruiting better players but desperately require another regular goal scorer to replace Kane’s goals.
To summarise I am not excited about the top 4 race but still want to end up as high as possible. However our poor cup runs mean this is not a good season Whatever the outcome.
I have highlighted 1 sentence in the above to say that I have always considered winning a trophy more important than getting CL football.

I will add that if the thought of Spurs playing the best teams doesn't excite you anymore then you prob need to find a new hobby.

The worst parts of this season have been the long breaks between matches.

Get them filled with midweek nights against Madrid or Juve or Bayern instead of random teams.
Absolutely fucking this
We have some weird fans

I think every serious fan wants us to be in the Champions League.

But that doesn’t mean you can’t want us to actually win a trophy as well. I don’t see why the 2 are mutually exclusive. We just announced revenues of half a billion plus so the notion a club with our finances can’t compete on multiple fronts is absurd.

What I don’t like is celebrating top 4 as though it’s a trophy. It’s not, just accept it for what it is.
I think it was more about finishing above Woolwich last time and taking it from them.

It is still targeted at the ‘normal fan’. It’s the normal fan that has changed. We have a new normal.
Football has seen explosive global growth. It was always a global sport of sorts but played and supported locally.

First Division clubs owned by the local millionaire have given way to globalized mega-clubs or groups of clubs owned by sovereign states who see growth through further global outreach. Money corrupts and the kind of money that football generates means a lot of corruption. It hasn’t been a working class game in the UK for a generation or more unless you support it at the grassroots level.

I also think if you could remove social media this second and it never existed modern football would be immediately better.

This is an interesting thread. Winning the CL would have been unbelievable but it is a pretty hideous competition now being about who of the sheikhs, oligarchs, etc happens to have the biggest budget and lawyers (right now City) to win it.

I look at Sevilla and all of their trophies. They know they’re not Real Madrid or Barcelona. But they get a lot of glory. Us winning the EL a few times along with some FA Cups would be superb. And the trips in the EL are fun, as has been commented.

I certainly don’t see CL qualification as a big deal this season. Maybe it helps to secure and attract players, but I’d rather we’re not over stretched next year by unrealistic hopes and ambitions. The Poch, Mou and Conte era of devaluing domestic cups, trying to be one of the big global clubs, was miserable and ended up a total failure.

This is an interesting thread. Winning the CL would have been unbelievable but it is a pretty hideous competition now being about who of the sheikhs, oligarchs, etc happens to have the biggest budget and lawyers (right now City) to win it.

I look at Sevilla and all of their trophies. They know they’re not Real Madrid or Barcelona. But they get a lot of glory. Us winning the EL a few times along with some FA Cups would be superb. And the trips in the EL are fun, as has been commented.

I certainly don’t see CL qualification as a big deal this season. Maybe it helps to secure and attract players, but I’d rather we’re not over stretched next year by unrealistic hopes and ambitions. The Poch, Mou and Conte era of devaluing domestic cups, trying to be one of the big global clubs, was miserable and ended up a total failure.
Our track record in the EL and ECL is ridiculously shit. Went out to Genk and Partisan Belgrade on our last two appearances in EL, and in the group stage of the ECL. A few EL wins and FA cups would be great but not seen much evidence that it's a focus on the league that is stopping us.

Navel gazing?
Not the easiest thing for some of us...

most-obese-man_650x400_81490762542.jpg

Our track record in the EL and ECL is ridiculously shit. Went out to Genk and Partisan Belgrade on our last two appearances in EL, and in the group stage of the ECL. A few EL wins and FA cups would be great but not seen much evidence that it's a focus on the league that is stopping us.

Agreed on the last point - for me it’s been more of an attitude thing, thinking we’re in the realm of a Real Madrid when we need to first build a winning mentality. Of all of Poch-Mou-Con, Mourinho probably got that the most. And he got us to a EFL final before ludicrously being sacked.

Last edited:
Agreed on the last point - for me it’s been more of an attitude thing, thinking we’re in the realm of a Real Madrid when we need to first build a winning mentality. Of all of Poch-Mou-Con, Mourinho probably got that the most. And he got us to a EL final before ludicrously being sacked.

No he didn't.

He got us to the LC final; but then Poch got us to one too AND a CL final.

Back
Top Bottom