Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Arguing that being a higher tier competition wouldn't aid our recruitment is just silly. Cmon now.

You just like being a contrarian.

I am sorry I don’t think it has much impact at all. Chelsea have no issue signing whoever with or without the CL or Europe for that matter. If they can skirt FFP it looks like they will be getting Osinhen in the summer. We have been in the CL multiple times yet most had absolutely shit transfer windows. Last season out of the CL we had our best window in ages.

Transfers are mostly money driven and convincing players of the project unless you are Real Madrid then its name value.

I am sorry I don’t think it has much impact at all. Chelsea have no issue signing whoever with or without the CL or Europe for that matter. If they can skirt FFP it looks like they will be getting Osinhen in the summer. We have been in the CL multiple times yet most had absolutely shit transfer windows. Last season out of the CL we had our best window in ages.

Transfers are mostly money driven and convincing players of the project unless you are Real Madrid then its name value.
I agree... All this stuff about "wanting to play CL football" ...we WERE, for consecutive years, and STILL hardly made and top drawer, marquee signings.

I'd have more respect for any player who, on signing on the dotted line to play for €H£L$£A in the Conference League, to simply come out and say: "it's always been my dream to get paid £200k a,week for kicking a ball around! !

I'm giving you factual based evidence of the last two years of when we were in the CL compared to when we weren't in it and you've completely dismissed it, what do you want me to do? :confused:

When you have teams like West Ham and Newcastle signing good players from CL teams when they had no CL pull themselves it tells you that the CL pull is overstated.

Players follow the money these days, Prem pays the most out of any league hence why you have players going from CL teams to teams like Notts Forest.

As for us we already beat Barca to the signing of Romero when we were in the Conf League, Bayern to Dragusin even though they offered more money, that comes down to smart recruitment and having a plan, for example - Woolwich built 90% of their current playing squad without CL football, Utd bought absolute dross last Summer with CL.
Totally agree. I've been saying for ages that being in the CL doesn't mean you get access to better players.
I know footballers arnt the brightest, but I'm pretty sure they can figure out that it's entirely plausible to join a team In the CL and then not be in it the following season

Totally agree. I've been saying for ages that being in the CL doesn't mean you get access to better players.
I know footballers arnt the brightest, but I'm pretty sure they can figure out that it's entirely plausible to join a team In the CL and then not be in it the following season

Money and success are also linked. I know you have idiots like Man United who spend on crap but mostly teams that spend big like City, Chelsea or more recently Arse do well. Money and ambition have become to be seen as one. Put the money down and the player will think the club is serious.

Money and success are also linked. I know you have idiots like Man United who spend on crap but mostly teams that spend big like City, Chelsea or more recently Arse do well. Money and ambition have become to be seen as one. Put the money down and the player will think the club is serious.

Pay the highest wages = get the best players.

Don't pay the highest wages = sell your best players.

It's that simple and the CL has fuck all to do with really attracting players.

What it might do is give you more money to pay attractive wages. In our case, CL money gave us collateral to build a stadium which is meant to allow us the chance to offer better wages. Maybe our wage bill went up but what we offer in terms of wages is still well below what the best players will want. For that reason we will continue to have one of the best stadiums in the world but are very unlikely to have a team filled with the best players in the world.

Yeah it's not even a controversial statement, Ange literally said the same thing back in March

The CL is relevant from an income perspective but I think the reason we haven't attracted players is our lack of ambition.

Players go to teams like Chelsea & Newcastle (aside from the money) because they believe their owners are going to pump money in until they are successful. Might not happen immediately but that is what the owners are aiming for.

Meanwhile we seem fairly content bobbing around 5th-3rd in the table and our lack of success has been a meme. Unfortunately that mentality permeates through the whole club.

The CL is relevant from an income perspective but I think the reason we haven't attracted players is our lack of ambition.

Players go to teams like Chelsea & Newcastle (aside from the money) because they believe their owners are going to pump money in until they are successful. Might not happen immediately but that is what the owners are aiming for.

Meanwhile we seem fairly content bobbing around 5th-3rd in the table and our lack of success has been a meme. Unfortunately that mentality permeates through the whole club.

Yeah lets just ignore the money part shall we, I mean it's not important is it. 😆

Back
Top Bottom