Top 10 Club Legends

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I am going to stick to players I saw play
In no particular order
1. Pat Jennings
2. Glenn Hoddle
3. Steve Perryman
4. Gary Mabbutt
6. Paul Gascoigne
7.Ledley King
8.Chris Waddle
9.Harry Kane
10 Ardiles & Villa....Yes I know I am cheating
Special mentions to John Pratt ,Terry Naylor, John Duncan.Darren Anderton, and Ray Clemence
EDIT
And Alfie Conn

Last edited:
Mister Greaves was a great player, but he was also a cunt apparently. Both during and after his career. I mean, why would a football club not include it's all time goal scorer in their wall of fame? OK, he's there now but you get the point.

Why would I include Benny over our top goal scorer? Did you ever see Benny galavanting around the place with fags, booze and women? Did he come across as being a cunt because he wrote lol after every tweet?

Mate, like I said, it's easy to cross over between best player and legend. If this was a best player list Jimmy would be in it, but it's not.
Apparently......

Benny was an ok player, full stop, for me and did nothing (IMHO) to deserve either status.

But I believe that Greaves did, both on the pitch and how he served the club.

Never heard anyone say anything derogatory about him as a person though, so that's news to me.

Apparently......

Benny was an ok player, full stop, for me and did nothing (IMHO) to deserve either status.

But I believe that Greaves did, both on the pitch and how he served the club.

Never heard anyone say anything derogatory about him as a person though, so that's news to me.

To even use the c**t word and Jimmy Greaves in the same sentence shows me one huge quality of the poster....ignorance...then to add to it 'apparently' only enhances my original opinion....blind ignorance
I have no need to defend the man, his record speaks for itself. To try to do so would do him an injustice. Anyone who considers him not to be worthy of the title 'legend' only displays an utter and contemptible disregard for what this club is built on and represents.
I implore any member who was ever lucky enough to see this genius play or simply agrees with my comments to post and show 5purs 5purs how irresponsible and ill advised his opinion is.

Last edited:
That’s the problem with history. I know next to nothing about him other than him being a famous captain of ours.

I’d love to see this thread turn into an appreciation thread for past players. I enjoy reading about talents from our past.

On a personal level, Nicky Barmby was a hero to me when I was about 14 years old. He broke into the side at 18, and looked like the real deal. It never really happened for him (damned shin splints), but for a few months he was our wonder kid.
Yeah, I see your point
He was part of the '67 squad, won the Uefa cup twice ('72 and '84) along with 2 FA Cups and 2 League cups.
Played 866 times for us and quite possibly never had a bad game
Played in nearly every position possible
He was never a "flair" player, and never tried to be. He said it was easy for him, in the '80s as all he had to do was get the ball and give it to Hoddle. What he did, he did very well.
An absolute professional.
Only got 1 England cap, which I think the FA tried to turn into a "B" cap. It was where England played 2 internationals on the same day IIRC and the manager at the time (?) insisted both sides got a full England cap.

Bale was absolutely devastating for a season and a bit, but he’s not quite a club legend.

No way Modric. Probably the best CM I’ve seen here myself but he openly disparaged us and blatantly thought of the club as a stepping stone.

Mrs P has it right . Legends are different from the best players to pull on a Spurs shirt. Bale was devastatingly brilliant , on his own could win a game ,arguably the best player l have seen but never a legend and don't have to be players only.

1. Bill Nick
2. Arthur Rowe
3. Danny Blanchflower
3. Glen Hoddle
4. Greaves
5. Dave MacKay.
6. Steve Perryman
7. Pat Jennings
8. Keith Burkinshaw
9. Gazza
10. Kane ( if he stays longer and the club win silver he could be higher)

Cult hero , Alfie Conn
All time dickhead traitor, Campbell.
Most talented but never a legend , Bale .
Moody cunt award, Berbatov .
Likeable manager EL TEL
Best chairman , Wale and Bearman.
Worst owners ? Sugar
Best supporter, Morris Keston
Best famous fan , Warren Mitchell .
Coolest fan , lan Dury , Jude Law
Cleverest fan , Peter Cook
Clever dick fan , Joe Flash (wolfie)
Intellectual fan , Trevor MacDonald , Barns Wallis or Frank Whittle .

Last edited:
No way is Modric a legend, not for me. Take away what he has become, one of the best players in the world, since leaving us, and look only at his time with us and although he was excellent, he didn't do nearly enough to be considered a legend even before you add his attitude toward us. Add that in and he doesn't even come close.

Worst owner? The Scholar regime nearly ended us a club.

As others have written big difference between great players and legends. A great player was Klinsman who could not wait to clear off after one season and then went full on sentimental about what the club meant to him, absolute mercenary, great player but no time for the bloke.

Legends for me

Blanchflower
Mackay
Greaves
Mabbutt
Perryman
Chivers
Gilzean
King
Hoddle

But the list is endless, ardiles, Anderton, Les and Clive Allen, john white, villa, brown, miller, Roberts, mullery, peters......
Hallelujah, someone else who thinks of Klinsmann as I do. No time for someone who sold us out to the extent that the side he was in fell apart pretty quickly. And then came back to us, only because no-one else wanted him. Me, bear a grudge? Absolutely!

Cant believe Assou-Ekotto isnt getting the fame that he deserves here!
Not going to lie, given my age I only really started supporting the club in the late 2000s (when I was about 8 and my uncle introduced me to the club). Disco Benny is still one of my favourites, absolutely loved that guy. Out of who I've seen play the list would basically just incorporate the best players from the last 10-15 years. Well and truly aware of the historical club legends though. Special shout out to Walter Tull, the third black player to play league football (i think) and then went and fought in the war during his prime. I know he isn't particularly a club legend but I think that guy deserves legend status just because of what he went through personally. Might not be top 10 or anything but he deserves a lot of praise for what he did as a human and it's good that our club is associated with him in some capacity.

Historically I'd have a top 3 of Greaves, Bill Nic and Hoddle.

Proper commentary too!! Talking you through the game, not a fucking irrelevant stat is spoken.

That first time forward pass by Mike England to Gilly. We need more of that these days.

Also Jimmy Pearce’s lay-off was meant for Steve Perryman (who backs off) but Mullery comes charging through and keeps the momentum of the attack going, leaving Perryman in space for the 1-2 Lovely stuff. That lovely bit of football was 48 years ago. I’d like to think that some of our newer fans appreciate that fact.

Notice the ref ducking out of the way when Perryman picks up the ball from Peters. You wouldn’t see that these days from the self-important, self-obsessed ‘look at me’ cunts.

Last edited:
That first time forward pass by Mike England to Gilly. We need more of that these days.

Also Jimmy Pearce’s lay-off was meant for Steve Perryman (who backs off) but Mullery comes charging through and keeps the momentum of the attack going, leaving Perryman in space for the 1-2 Lovely stuff. That lovely bit of football was 48 years ago. I’d like to think that some of our newer fans appreciate that fact.

Notice the ref ducking out of the way when Perryman picks up the ball from Peters? You wouldn’t see that these days from the self-important, self-obsessed ‘look at me’ cunts.
Never got to see Mike England play, by all accounts he was one of the best defenders of his generation. I'm sure most of us Spurs have all been told this but mention his name outside of Spurs circles and all you get is blank faces.

Never got to see Mike England play, by all accounts he was one of the best defenders of his generation. I'm sure most of us Spurs have all been told this but mention his name outside of Spurs circles and all you get is blank faces.

Was chatting to the old man about this, his view is Mike England was the best centre back he has seen in a Spurs shirt. Since then only King and Vertonghan can be compared.

Gilzean was the best header of a ball he has seen and if Steve Perryman and Hoddle were playing now they would have 100 caps for England each.

Mind he also thinks Dembele has never been good enough so it's all subjective!!

I'd suggest most of even our older posters will actually only name players who played from 1960's onwards, which is logical, but not necessarily fair to players from the first 80 years or so of our club's history.
I was just thinking the same thing and off the top of my head:

Bobby Buckle
Vivian Woodward
Fanny Walden
Jimmy Dimmock
Bill Nicholson
Danny Blanchflower
Jimmy Greaves
Steve Perryman
Glen Hoddle
Graham Roberts

My hey-day was the 1980s so picking crowd favourite Graham Roberts reflects that - as well as the fact that he's remained Spurs through and through. My dad grew up watching Arthur Rowe's team so I'm well versed on how great Bill Nic was as a player, as well as manager. My dad also waxes lyrical about Ted Ditchburn, Len Duquemin and Tommy Harmer. I'd also like to give an honourable mention to Chris Hughton.

So it's easy to cross over between best player and legend, as this thread shows. A best player list doesn't necessarily include legends, well not in my book. Legendary status verses player brilliance. I don't think a player has to be seen as brilliant to quantify being a legend. Anyway, in reverse order...

10 Rafael van der Vaart
09 Jan Vertonghen
08 Paul Gascoigne
07 Danny Blanchflower
06 Benoit Assou-Ekotto
05 Graham Roberts
04 Osvaldo Ardiles
03 Glenn Hoddle
02 Bill Nickolson
01 Arthor Rowe (not one person has mentioned him! Pffft!)
Benny?
No Greaves?
Each to their own - but you're not the only one to omit him. Not sure why such a prolific goalscorer over so many years wouldn't be considered either great or legendary, in club footballing terms.

I don’t think Gazza, Lineker or Waddle were around long enough to be legends. Great players though.

Fair enough. It’s interesting to see the different definitions of legends.

Ricky Villa was long before my time, but his cup-winning goal is certainly legendary. Ginola wasn’t playing for us that long, but a lot of people consider him to be the shining light in a dark era.

VDV was with us for two seasons, but certainly left a bigger impression on some compared to Paul Allen.

Back
Top Bottom