Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you believed that Poch deserved the full blame for our poor run of form, you were probably way too unfair to him. Likewise, if you think that it was all on the players and he was blameless, you were blinded by your affinity for Poch.

If you think that with Mourinho coming into this and grinding out three wins on the bounce that all of our issues were fixed, your expectations are likely way too high and haven't been realistic about some of our deficiencies.

The cracks were still visible in the past two games, the wins were just able to paper over them.

I am not traditionally a fan of Mourinho but I am giving him a chance to show a new side of him, and to give him the time to do what needs to be done to address our issues. He has an outstanding base of players to work with but there are clearly weaknesses in the squad. January will be a very interesting time for us, and despite this loss I'm feeling more optimistic that I have in a long time.

But he MUST and I mean, MUST get top four and a trophy next season, anything less is unacceptable.

You need to relax. You veer from being desperate to get Poch out, lauding Mourinho as the saviour to now being the first to lay down an 'unacceptable marker'.

After one loss.

This team needs a complete rebuild. Might take one season, might take three, might take longer. But we need to get out of this 'we're owed Top 4 football' stuff.

Stop worrying about where we are in the table and focus on the quality of football we play.

What we've had for the last five seasons, is a manager and supporting team, who compelled the squad to give about 120% of what they naturally could IMO.

Look at Luke Shaw, now a bit part player at what 23/24?

Look at Rose, Alderweireld, physically undermined by the previous regimes mortgaging tomorrow for a win today.

It happens to all Bielsa's teams, run out of gas Feb-March bus-conductor bus-conductor watches a lot of French footie, he will know this pattern happens with this excessive intensity and elite fitness mantra which Poch formed from his tutelage.

What we need IMO, is the fitness team from Juve (if memory serves or was it AC Milan?), who buy up 30-33 year olds and get another 2-3years out of them. Because they will understand these players in varying forms have Lactic/Uric/Arachidonic Acid excesses at their points of weakness (previous injury sites, sites they compensate for muscular/skeletal weakness etc), as the high intensity creates an excess of Acid waste which only certain phsiologies can cycle at super high levels (which intensity training + games induces).

We need an elite recovery team, to bring the physical age of our players back down as far as is possible IMO.

These backed up metabolic residues will always manifest in this 'lack of intensity' or 'slow' starts, we have seen for over 18months almost consistently, and for 5years on/off (remember the latter season collapses in the first to seasons, just like Bielsa teams always suffer).

People complain about Kane, that proves the point, a club supporter, loves us, is he really choosing to amble around more like a championship player, rather than a Drogba like performance we saw at Spam? Of course not, his body has backed up performance residue, which compels the autonomic nervous system to make him unable to be 'at it'.

I pray that Mourinho does not do the Poch thing, of making them pay by more intensity for poor performances, it's just insanity. I hope he makes them all take rest, rest, rest. Massage the shit out of them, not massacre them.

NOTE : I AM NOT BLAMING POCH, HIS FITNESS EXPERTS SHOULD HAVE SEEN THIS DEVELOPING.

Last edited:
Sacking Poch is one of the biggest mistakes we have ever made. Trust me.

A whole years worth of fixtures put us rock bottom of the form League. I have no doubt in what Poch is capable of but to not look at the here and now would be reckless.

Quick question.... if form had continued like it had for 11 months prior to his sacking, when would you have pulled the plug? January? March? We averaged a point per game for nearly a whole calendar year, do you know where that kind of form can lead to and take a team? Where's your cut off point to say it ain't working if the club have as you believe jumped the gun?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why people are so shocked by what happened or is currently happening - Poch over achieved with what he had. Our squad is fundamentally flawed and requires a serious overhaul - one I believe the club can not afford.

Ah, yea, Spurs cannot afford to buy talented players. Too expensive, too difficult.
Remarkable giant, that is Leicester with endless pockets and cashflows could build a team that breaks into top 3 but poor little Spurs couldnt.

What a load of crap.

It is getting really boring and predictable to see the mood swings in here taking 180 degree turns game after game. Football is team sport and sometimes only some changes can have remarkable impact.
Remember how things changed when we brought Alderweireld?? 1 player, 12 mil eur. And overnight we had pretty much the best defense in the league.

We have proven players, we have potential and we have talent. I believe that changes to few key changes could help to turn around things. Get in a good DM for a start, and we'll see ...

A number 8 like Sissoko and like Ndombele. We have a clear Gerrard/Lampard situation in the team, players who do a similar role and don’t work. Watch Winks for England in his last game in his proper role.

Dier and Wanyama for whatever reason are broke and thus we have no effective holding player. so we ask Winks and Sissoko or Ndombele to cover the 8 and 6 role between them and it doesn’t work.

If we have a £60m budget and a top DM for £60 comes up we have to spend it on that guy. The team has no balance.

while Winks hasn’t been great as a DM he has still performed better than Dier who seems to be no longer mobile. Only short term solution for me is a Winks as DM till we buy a new one in a midfield 3 of Winks, Ndombele and Lo Celso and drop Lucas as the poorest performing attacking player. Alternative to Winks would be trying Foyth in the DM role, not sure Skipp is physically ready.

sell Dier and Wanyama and buy a good DM who is mobile in January. do that and the defence will be more solid and attacking players will be more confident.
Bingo. If you look at our midfield options, they break down this way...

DM = Wanyama, Dier
CM = Winks, Sissoko, Ndombele
AM = Lamela, Lo Celso, Dele, Eriksen

Obviously some of those players are more forwards than midfielders (such as Dele and Lamela), and I struggled to classify Lo Celso as AM or CM (since we haven't seen a lot of him).

But basically, our DM options are not good and we have three guys who can play CM. Ndombele is clearly the best, and then probably Winks. Those three are battling for one spot in our current setup.

Tbf 3 games in a week with a squad that has, allegedly, been overtrained with more than half the team playing every fixture didn't help

Many of our players now have a loser mentality from the Poch days.

Losing that many cup semis and quarter finals is probably gonna have a mental effect down the line.
As a club we've had a losing mentality since ENIC took over.

don’t disagree on Winks, he is a scape goat a lot of the time, he isn’t a DM. Attitude is one thing and one thing that can be fixed but when you have players at the club the way we have for such a long period it can go stale. Its

I still think even with attitude fix we won’t fix the whole thing. When you look at the top 4 right now with Liverpool or Leicester etc they don’t necessarily have greater depth but they have a mostly complete first 11, we don’t. In the modern game you are only as strong as your weakest link and we have 2-3 positions that are weak. It’s difficult for a team to press collectively with underlying weakness, you will never attack as well as you can with a weak defence or defend as well as you can with a weak attack.

the DM aspect of the team alone is an eye sore, it totally unbalances the whole thing. I suppose on a positive note should we buy a DM, CB and maybe a full back or two and should Mourinho get the remaining players into the right frame of mind it should be fixable. But that is depended on two things, Mourinho making the right choices with the squad and Levy getting his wallet out.
Barnes, Grey and Vardy (Perez too but has barely played) is not as good as our front three. But they work harder and are more aggressive than ours. Vardy who I think is a technically weak player, runs his arse off every game. Ndidi, Tilmans and Maddison work their arses off every game.

I'll caveat Leicester slightly in that they are not in Europe this year, because of this injuries are at a min, they have all week to recover and plan and prepare for the next game. They wouldn't be where they are today were they trying to compete in Europe also. I think they would be in and around the 6th placed positions, I'm sure they will finish in top 4 this season.

Our collective attitude is 180 degrees what it once was, I have no idea the cause but the deep concern is neither does Jose as he's publically backed these players and is routinely playing them. "Hopefully" he's been handing them out the rope to hang themselves on and hopefully he now has an idea at identifying the culprits.

Jose needs to fix the attitude and initiate a new one. It's the very reason what he was employed to do as per Levy's notes.

Cant expect Mourinho to come in and win every game until the end of the season and play well all the time.

Tonight is a symptom of the issues that have festered for at least a year with this squad, a bad performance was bound to happen sooner rather than later.

It's still Poch's team not Mourinho's so it's not going to drastically change in less than 5 games

Some of the melting on here last night after just four games was ridiculous

What did we expect ?

Jose has got a lot to do and will need time to do it

Back
Top Bottom