Tonight has really opened my eyes to the issues we face.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Never really thought I woukd say this but u must wounder what kane is starting to think at this point in his career deep down
We just need to be grateful he has a lack of ambition when it comes to winning things or is just very loyal & naive.

We will certainly see who is good and who isn’t under Mourinho. My personal view is that the squad isn’t balanced, we have overall a good attacking set but poor/average defensive.

attacking

Lo Celso
Ndombele
Winks??
Sissoko??
Son
Lamela
Kane
Lucas
Eriksen - even though he is fucking off
Dele
Sessegnon

defensive

Toby
Verts
Dier
Davies
Sanchez
Aurier
Wanyama
Rose
KWP
Foyth

Even with Eriksen going and Lamela injures we should have enough in attack for now. The defensive side however is a mess, Dier and Wanyama’s legs are gone, Toby and Verts our best defenders are getting old, our full backs are at best average in a world where full backs are very important. Foyth looks really talented but young and reckless.

you can’t really get the best out of Ndombele or Winks or Sissoko or Lo Celso when we don’t have a decent DM to allow them freedom to play. At the moment our midfield looks like England with Gerrard and Lampard, the balance doesn’t work at all. And without a DM we also look vulnerable.

I kind of get the feeling Mourinho is playing 4 attackers as well as Winks and Sissoko in a Brazilian we will score more than you attitude. Otherwise I’d imagine Lucas would have been dropped for Lo Celso or Ndombele to beef the midfield.

to me this is typical Spurs. We always seem 2-3 players away from a decent balanced side. I gave Levy a pass during the stadium build phase but come January we need to be spending big and spending on the right players otherwise we are a flawed team and if you have a flaw other teams will always take advantage.
I think it's far more complex from our position (outside of the dressing room) than what you've listed.

Our number one issue is attitude. Poch brought it up, some players have brought it up after games and now Jose has. It's hard to identify who's not doing what on the pitch. But this team has now become soft, we've gone from winning the first and 2nd balls to losing them in practically every game we now play. We can bring in Messi and things will not change.

Whilst our attacking unit is great against dross against a well-drilled team they simply are not functioning. Our defence used to be great but you have to look to why it was great, this wasn't down to specifically great players it was down to the fact we defended high up the pitch, it started with Kane pressing with Dele, Eriksen, Lamela and whoever else was on the field at the time.

If we need to improve our defence we need to improve how our forwards press the oppo, then how the midfield play behind this (are we trying to have our forwards turn over the ball high up the pitch? Or do we want them to force a hurried ball into midfield for the press to commence there?). Right now there is nothing from midfield and nothing from attack.

Assuming we will not buy until the summer window (at least this is a realistic assumption given to what actually happens in recent past windows for ALL PL clubs), we simply have to fix the attitude of this side. Jose was brought in to "freshen up" this team. Well on last nights display and in significant chunks of his other 3 games, he simply hasn't done this yet. We are a totally reactive team and worryingly one that doesn't have the mindset to dig in, pick ourselves up are prepared to go toe to toe with the oppo.

For all of the criticism on Winks, he was a player last night that displayed an attitude. His foul on James showed this, he sprinted. Our problem is a collective attitude, collective fight, without gaining this we can talk until we are blue in the face about the technical deficiency of players 'x', 'y' and 'z'.

Many of our players now have a loser mentality from the Poch days.

Losing that many cup semis and quarter finals is probably gonna have a mental effect down the line.
As a club we've had a losing mentality since ENIC took over.

I watched the game with a manu mate and he couldn't believe the way they started! Said it was their best start and performance of the season!

that we made a very poor United

They're not that poor. They're just not at their historic standards. They've lost once at home all season. Rashford is electric, Fred looked good in midfield - their defence is a bit shit. They're actually a very similar team to us.

We're rubbish away from home.

I've no idea why people thought this would be a walkover.

They're not that poor. They're just not at their historic standards. They've lost once at home all season. Rashford is electric, Fred actually looked good in midfield - their defence is a bit shit. They're actually a very similar team to us.

We're rubbish away from home.

I've no idea why people thought this would be a walkover.
I didn’t think it would be. OT not a happy hunting ground for us. United are shit at the moment though mate. We simply didn’t turn up. We made them look very good because of this. Rashford tore us a new one all night. Our midfield was non existent. We handed them literally everything on a plate.
it was horrible to watch and it was all self inflicted.

Ah, yea, Spurs cannot afford to buy talented players. Too expensive, too difficult.
Remarkable giant, that is Leicester with endless pockets and cashflows could build a team that breaks into top 3 but poor little Spurs couldnt.

What a load of crap.

It is getting really boring and predictable to see the mood swings in here taking 180 degree turns game after game. Football is team sport and sometimes only some changes can have remarkable impact.
Remember how things changed when we brought Alderweireld?? 1 player, 12 mil eur. And overnight we had pretty much the best defense in the league.

We have proven players, we have potential and we have talent. I believe that changes to few key changes could help to turn around things. Get in a good DM for a start, and we'll see ...
I have been saying this for the last year or so needed to invest more - not after one game - we either need to invest wisely like Leicester have and buy good young talent, or work out a way to buy quality players to improve the squad which I believe we may not be able to afford with the debt that occurred from building the new stadium. Our squad was full of talent a season or two ago, but age, a lack of business in s few transfer windows, player attitude and injuries have all caught up with the team.

I think it's far more complex from our position (outside of the dressing room) than what you've listed.

Our number one issue is attitude. Poch brought it up, some players have brought it up after games and now Jose has. It's hard to identify who's not doing what on the pitch. But this team has now become soft, we've gone from winning the first and 2nd balls to losing them in practically every game we now play. We can bring in Messi and things will not change.

Whilst our attacking unit is great against dross against a well-drilled team they simply are not functioning. Our defence used to be great but you have to look to why it was great, this wasn't down to specifically great players it was down to the fact we defended high up the pitch, it started with Kane pressing with Dele, Eriksen, Lamela and whoever else was on the field at the time.

If we need to improve our defence we need to improve how our forwards press the oppo, then how the midfield play behind this (are we trying to have our forwards turn over the ball high up the pitch? Or do we want them to force a hurried ball into midfield for the press to commence there?). Right now there is nothing from midfield and nothing from attack.

Assuming we will not buy until the summer window (at least this is a realistic assumption given to what actually happens in recent past windows for ALL PL clubs), we simply have to fix the attitude of this side. Jose was brought in to "freshen up" this team. Well on last nights display and in significant chunks of his other 3 games, he simply hasn't done this yet. We are a totally reactive team and worryingly one that doesn't have the mindset to dig in, pick ourselves up are prepared to go toe to toe with the oppo.

For all of the criticism on Winks, he was a player last night that displayed an attitude. His foul on James showed this, he sprinted. Our problem is a collective attitude, collective fight, without gaining this we can talk until we are blue in the face about the technical deficiency of players 'x', 'y' and 'z'.

don’t disagree on Winks, he is a scape goat a lot of the time, he isn’t a DM. Attitude is one thing and one thing that can be fixed but when you have players at the club the way we have for such a long period it can go stale. Its

I still think even with attitude fix we won’t fix the whole thing. When you look at the top 4 right now with Liverpool or Leicester etc they don’t necessarily have greater depth but they have a mostly complete first 11, we don’t. In the modern game you are only as strong as your weakest link and we have 2-3 positions that are weak. It’s difficult for a team to press collectively with underlying weakness, you will never attack as well as you can with a weak defence or defend as well as you can with a weak attack.

the DM aspect of the team alone is an eye sore, it totally unbalances the whole thing. I suppose on a positive note should we buy a DM, CB and maybe a full back or two and should Mourinho get the remaining players into the right frame of mind it should be fixable. But that is depended on two things, Mourinho making the right choices with the squad and Levy getting his wallet out.

I can’t help thinking that if you put the main three new boys right into the middle of it that that act alone would freshen everything up and provide a new drive right in the middle of the field.
And I would add in benching Kane for a game or two.

I have been saying this for the last year or so needed to invest more - not after one game - we either need to invest wisely like Leicester have and buy good young talent, or work out a way to buy quality players to improve the squad which I believe we may not be able to afford with the debt that occurred from building the new stadium. Our squad was full of talent a season or two ago, but age, a lack of business in s few transfer windows, player attitude and injuries have all caught up with the team.

Agreed, but what's the point when Jose only plays the old donkeys. We've brought in two quality players in Lo Celso and Ndombele, but apparently they'll never get fit. My biggest worry is regarding our youth. I don't think Jose has got the best record here, and KWP, Skipp, Sessegnon, Parrott etc is nowhere near the starting XI

We simply didn’t turn up.

Not that I disagree with your broad point, but to be honest, when was the last time we did turn up? I don't mean win, I mean really grab a game by the scruff of the neck, control the midfield, shut out the opposition and take our chances.

Palace at home? Red Star away was good, but we were dodgy at points.

We beat Spam and Bournemouth by having better strikers, but as a team we were still poor for significant sections of both games.

I fully expect us to struggle away from home for the rest of season. I think, ironically, one of the things that will help us is that because teams aren't scared of us anymore, they will come and try to win. Burnley will be instructive because they usually park the bus. I don't think they will this time. They'll definitely fancy a point.

I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment, we've got several players that are out of contract in the summer and no funds or very little funds to replace them. Jose is the most decorated and experienced manager that we can get, if he's sacked it will be all downhill from there.

Well Kane could definitely leave, maybe Dele would if no top 4 and no trophies the season after next.

I think to say it is all downhill from there is a bit negative, but you could have a valid point.

So if that’s the case I’m glad we have an NFL team to look forward to!! No here.

THFC will carry on.

These players and any managers will move on.

Maybe our golden generation were more brass than gold and we punched above our weight. Or maybe they underachieved.

But if that was as good as it gets then at least we won’t be missing too much. A few top 4s and an AudiCup. We can do that again. One day.

Glory glory Tottenham Hotspur.

Agreed, but what's the point when Jose only plays the old donkeys. We've brought in two quality players in Lo Celso and Ndombele, but apparently they'll never get fit. My biggest worry is regarding our youth. I don't think Jose has got the best record here, and KWP, Skipp, Sessegnon, Parrott etc is nowhere near the starting XI
That is a fair point, I think Skipp is too lightweight though, would like to see Sessegnon either as a wing back or converted winger, Parrott is raw but at least deserves a place on.the bench as we have no other natural striker in our squad

Great post Incomplete_usernam Incomplete_usernam

I may have mentioned it before. But when the owners completely neglect our most promising team and manager in a generation by ducking out of two successive transfer windows it's bound to rub off on the attitude of the players.

Most on here won't acknowledge it, but the summer / winter of 18/19 has taken its toll and it'll take years to get us back to where we were before .

Yawnnn 🥱😴

Back
Top Bottom