Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I’m more concerned about our defending during set pieces, even at 2-0 up I always panic if we give up a corner. Not sure about how to eliminate this but our CB’s don’t seem as aggressive to the first ball as they should be

I’m more concerned about our defending during set pieces, even at 2-0 up I always panic if we give up a corner. Not sure about how to eliminate this but our CB’s don’t seem as aggressive to the first ball as they should be

Our fullbacks are also just terrible at defending set pieces, and Winks is awfully tiny for a defensive mid. We have a lot of problems beyond just our CB's when it comes to set pieces.

Our fullbacks are also just terrible at defending set pieces, and Winks is awfully tiny for a defensive mid. We have a lot of problems beyond just our CB's when it comes to set pieces.
I think if we get a really commanding CB then the others will settle around him. In the same way Dawson looked England class when playing with King but not so if King was out. Toby, Jan & Sanchez would then be competing for 2nd cb role although Jan could play the 3rd Cb/LB role.

Maybe, just maybe.......Poch was the bad egg
Maybe, just maybe he was.

Although it does beg the question why Toby is still here, I mean why didn't he just go and fuck off. Why did Poch play him at all?

All said and done right now absolutely none of that matters does it? Poch isn't our Manager, Jose is. Toby is still a Spurs player and hasn't signed a new contract which in a little over a month he can leave Spurs on a free.

The question still remains is it good that we looking to be signing him up to a new deal? Or should we be rebuilding with the next phase under Jose? (Doesn't mean that we won't do that in addition).

Let's talk about what's good for Spurs as things stand right now, that's all that matters.

Maybe, just maybe he was.

Although it does beg the question why Toby is still here, I mean why didn't he just go and fuck off. Why did Poch play him at all?

All said and done right now absolutely none of that matters does it? Poch isn't our Manager, Jose is. Toby is still a Spurs player and hasn't signed a new contract which in a little over a month he can leave Spurs on a free.

The question still remains is it good that we looking to be signing him up to a new deal? Or should we be rebuilding with the next phase under Jose? (Doesn't mean that we won't do that in addition).

Let's talk about what's good for Spurs as things stand right now, that's all that matters.
It’s impossible to know what’s good for Spurs at this stage as we don’t know whether certain players were the issue or the manager was.

If Jose can get Eriksen and Toby and Rose back to their best and committed and willing to sign then that’s what’s best for Spurs I guess.
Might not be the case. Maybe they were the cunts all along, but they are what we have right now and I’m willing to see what happens.

I rather that, than drop them forever in some kind of ridiculous salute to the old manager.
Kane said it’s day one for everyone.

So be it.

It’s impossible to know what’s good for Spurs at this stage as we don’t know whether certain players were the issue or the manager was.

If Jose can get Eriksen and Toby and Rose back to their best and committed and willing to sign then that’s what’s best for Spurs I guess.
Might not be the case. Maybe they were the cunts all along, but they are what we have right now and I’m willing to see what happens.

I rather that, than drop them forever in some kind of ridiculous salute to the old manager.
Kane said it’s day one for everyone.

So be it.
That's kind of what I've said.

Quite how you have come to the conclusion from my post that you think I'm intimating we should drop players as a salute to the Old Manager is quite fucking bizarre!

That's kind of what I've said.

Quite how you have come to the conclusion from my post that you think I'm intimating we should drop players as a salute to the Old Manager is quite fucking bizarre!
Just feels like people want players dropped for what went on under Poch.
If they sort themselves out under Jose, is all that matters now

Fee we need a real world class centre back next to him though if he’s going to stay. Seems to have lost some of his positional awareness.

Good to see he can still hit those Hollywood long balls though.
Lost positional awareness, speed, heading ability and braveness.

Constantly comes out of the backline and leaving players free to run in behind the other defenders.

But hey, in Toby's world it's still 2017 and he hasn't been at fault time and time again this season...

Lost positional awareness, speed, heading ability and braveness.

Constantly comes out of the backline and leaving players free to run in behind the other defenders.

But hey, in Toby's world it's still 2017 and he hasn't been at fault time and time again this season...
Not a fan? You should have said.

You back to being his biggest fan?

He cost a goal against Olympiakos, was beaten very easily against Spam and through weak defending, let Bournemouth in at the death.

But hey, lets blame Dav for all that
Not really his biggest fan, no. Willing to give him a few games to see if he can get back to where he was, but doubt he can. Willing to give every player the benefit of the doubt right now. Not sure what you gain by constantly battering the guy though. But it appears to please you and who am I to tell you what to post?

Not really his biggest fan, no. Willing to give him a few games to see if he can get back to where he was, but doubt he can. Willing to give every player the benefit of the doubt right now. Not sure what you gain by constantly battering the guy though. But it appears to please you and who am I to tell you what to post?
Ok, last post on here (until his inevitable new contract).

I loved Toby, best defender in the league and all round star, but things changed, and changed massively.
It wasn't his fault he got injured against Madrid, but in his absence his replacement did a great job and didn't warrant being dropped. That wasn't good enough for Toby, he came back agitating that his World Cup place was at risk and he had no idea why he wasn't getting picked. When this didn't work out, he went to Martinez and got him to run to the press asking why Spurs weren't playing Toby and how Dav wasn't up to the job. All the while Toby was fucking about with a new contract and then starting making it clear he wanted to leave. That never materialised, but he got back in the team as a shadow of the defender he once was. Still making it plain he wanted to leave, but now performing at a level way below what he once did and causing problems for the team. How often did players get in behind our backline because Toby dropped out of the line while the rest held it? Sounds petty, but at top level football, is a massive weakness the opposition can exploit.

In his first 3 years Toby was probably at fault for one goal and could have done better at 2 or 3, last season was very different. At fault for 3 or 4, could have done better in 9 or 10. Look at injury time against City in the CL as an example of what I mean by Toby holding the line, he was two yards behind the defensive line and almost played Aguero on (his effort to stop Sterling was also quarter assed at best). Then in the off season it looked as though he could get away, but sadly, for him he got stuck here. His performances since then have been utter shit. The Bayern match was possibly the worst performance by a Spurs defender I can remember.

Through all this Toby has been a massive mouthpiece and seems to have a view and opinion on everything. Especially his delight at escaping Spurs for a few days to play for Belgium. Now there has been a few transfer windows and no one has been interested in Toby, you just know come the 1st February is no one has been in for him, he'll be only too delighted to sign a new contract with us under the guise of "Playing for Jose......" yadda, yadda. The fact of the matter is that if there was a rat bastard in the pack, his name wasn't Christian or Danny, it was Toby.

Ok, last post on here (until his inevitable new contract).

I loved Toby, best defender in the league and all round star, but things changed, and changed massively.
It wasn't his fault he got injured against Madrid, but in his absence his replacement did a great job and didn't warrant being dropped. That wasn't good enough for Toby, he came back agitating that his World Cup place was at risk and he had no idea why he wasn't getting picked. When this didn't work out, he went to Martinez and got him to run to the press asking why Spurs weren't playing Toby and how Dav wasn't up to the job. All the while Toby was fucking about with a new contract and then starting making it clear he wanted to leave. That never materialised, but he got back in the team as a shadow of the defender he once was. Still making it plain he wanted to leave, but now performing at a level way below what he once did and causing problems for the team. How often did players get in behind our backline because Toby dropped out of the line while the rest held it? Sounds petty, but at top level football, is a massive weakness the opposition can exploit.

In his first 3 years Toby was probably at fault for one goal and could have done better at 2 or 3, last season was very different. At fault for 3 or 4, could have done better in 9 or 10. Look at injury time against City in the CL as an example of what I mean by Toby holding the line, he was two yards behind the defensive line and almost played Aguero on (his effort to stop Sterling was also quarter assed at best). Then in the off season it looked as though he could get away, but sadly, for him he got stuck here. His performances since then have been utter shit. The Bayern match was possibly the worst performance by a Spurs defender I can remember.

Through all this Toby has been a massive mouthpiece and seems to have a view and opinion on everything. Especially his delight at escaping Spurs for a few days to play for Belgium. Now there has been a few transfer windows and no one has been interested in Toby, you just know come the 1st February is no one has been in for him, he'll be only too delighted to sign a new contract with us under the guise of "Playing for Jose......" yadda, yadda. The fact of the matter is that if there was a rat bastard in the pack, his name wasn't Christian or Danny, it was Toby.

Shit post

Back
Top Bottom