Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The only unknown between Toby and De Ligt is whether De Ligt could handle the EPL. He's quicker, more mobile, more attacking with the same range of passing, a harder tackler and would be a better bet for a high defence.

If he was as good in England as he is in Holland, he'd be better than Toby.
And if Marcus Edwards trained and played to his potential he wouldn't have been loaned out.

Now that Toby has shown us he's the true proffessional many of us allways thought him to be, It's quite amusing to look back in this thread.
Some of the insults, negativity, and downright melting towards one of our greatest current players was so out of proportion its embarrising.
Big helpings of humble pie to all the culprits. You know who you are.
:tobyarm:

Now that Toby has shown us he's the true proffessional many of us allways thought him to be, It's quite amusing to look back in this thread.
Some of the insults, negativity, and downright melting towards one of our greatest current players was so out of proportion its embarrising.
So.

If Toby doesn't sign a new deal and leaves next year on a free/minimum of 25 mil it is not him stringing us on but the club being incompetent?

Just putting it out there. It takes two to make a deal (or in football a full on circus at times).

Toby seems a nice lad and is putting in his shifts. But if he still leaves next summer then certainly it can't all be the club's fault?

Last edited:
The only unknown between Toby and De Ligt is whether De Ligt could handle the EPL. He's quicker, more mobile, more attacking with the same range of passing, a harder tackler and would be a better bet for a high defence.

If he was as good in England as he is in Holland, he'd be better than Toby.
If my aunt had bollocks tbh

I'd like him but not in place of Toby. Why sell a world class centre back to buy a potential world class centre back? We got a few years of mistakes and learning.

So.

If Toby doesn't sign a new deal and leaves next year on a free/minimum of 25 mil it is not him stringing us on but the club being incompetent?
No. It would be the maturity of a contract both party's were happy to put their signatures to....No stringing along. No incompetence.

And if Toby acts like the Pro we know he is, he will have fulfilled his side of the deal. And the club will still nearly double their money.

And in the meantime if we offer new terms Toby finds amenable, he'll sign a new deal and see out his career at NWHL.

Super words.

Though had Man Ure actually bid for him it might have been more interesting.
If Toby wants to keep being a footballer this season, he has no option but to knuckle down.

Do you really think nearly two years without club football would be what he wanted?

No. It would be the maturity of a contract both party's were happy to put their signatures to....No stringing along. No incompetence.

And if Toby acts like the Pro we know he is, he will have fulfilled his side of the deal. And the club will still nearly double their money.

And in the meantime if we offer new terms Toby finds amenable, he'll sign a new deal and see out his career at NWHL.
Admirable there John. So I’m guessing you won’t be going for Levy’s throat if Toby does leave next summer? Because it’s something that has come to its natural end, with the blessing of all the parties that matter (Toby, Poch & Levy)
That’s a very mellow approach on a sunny Sunday. COYS

Admirable there John. So I’m guessing you won’t be going for Levy’s throat if Toby does leave next summer? Because it’s something that has come to its natural end, with the blessing of all the parties that matter (Toby, Poch & Levy)
That’s a very mellow approach on a sunny Sunday. COYS
What I'm saying is that by not yet signing a new contract Toby is not necessarily the cunt many were making him out to be.
Why should he sign a new deal if he doesn't find the terms favourable? So long as he knuckles down and gives 100%, for the duration of the contract Levy was happy to offer him we can have no complaints. And he has never shown any indication he wouldn't give his best. So all the abuse and criticism earlier in the thread was completed unjustified.

What I'm saying is that by not yet signing a new contract Toby is not necessarily the cunt many were making him out to be.
Why should he sign a new deal if he doesn't find the terms favourable? So long as he knuckles down and gives 100%, for the duration of the contract Levy was happy to offer him we can have no complaints. And he has never shown any indication he wouldn't give his best. So all the abuse and criticism earlier in the thread was completed unjustified.
And by the same token, if Poch & Levy are happy for him to see out his contract & leaves next year, any abuse/criticism levelled at Levy would be completely unjustified too?

Poch clearly did or else he would have played him, no?

And what abuse did he actually get? Spurs fans getting upset with him because he wanted to leave the club? He's only still with us because no-one thought he's worth £75m and £200k pw.

Poch clearly did or else he would have played him, no?
I don't buy that. I think last season with his extended injury coupled with how well Jan and Davinson were playing together, it was more a case of "Don't fuck with something that is working," especially when Toby was most likely not match fit. He didn't have the luxury of letting him get match fit during meaningful matches at the end of last season.

I'd agree with that. My reading of the situation was not that Toby wasn't giving his best, just that his best at the time wasn't good enough to trouble the status quo.

What upset me most about the episode was Roberto Martinez's comments as a national manager apparently criticizing the way his players club was handling the situation. It wasn't needed and in my view was very unprofessional. Even if it was in answer to a direct question. He should have just swerved it in my view.

I don't buy that. I think last season with his extended injury coupled with how well Jan and Davinson were playing together, it was more a case of "Don't fuck with something that is working," especially when Toby was most likely not match fit. He didn't have the luxury of letting him get match fit during meaningful matches at the end of last season.
We will never know the truth to that. But we do know he wasn't selected during exactly the same period he was heavily linked with a move away from the club and him rejecting to re-sign for the club.

Back
Top Bottom