Title in your lifetime?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you honestly think Spurs will win a league title in your lifetime?

• Total voters
I'm from Chicago and a diehard cubs fan so I am about as pessimistic as it comes for sports fans. That being said, I'm 19 so there is a lot of time for them to win something. I think that we could pull it out one year.

Look no further folks. This is a man who has experienced a blighted fanhood right here. If a Cubs fan can believe, we don't even have time for hope in our assured impending successes.

Last edited:
I'm from Chicago and a diehard cubs fan so I am about as pessimistic as it comes for sports fans. That being said, I'm 19 so there is a lot of time for them to win something. I think that we could pull it out one year.

Well Spurs have also never been cursed by a goddamn goat. At least I hope not, I don't think I could deal with two of those in my life as a supporter.

Look no further folks. This is man who has experienced a blighted fanhood right here. If a Cubs fan can believe, we don't even have time for hope in our assured impending successes.
Well, when it comes to baseball, I'm a Braves fan. We won the world series in my lifetime and we win the eastern division virtually every year.

Spurs have won a number of important trophies in my lifetime and I don't see why the league won't be one of them. I think we have an excellent shot at it this season never mind when I'm old and grey.

We've got this far without having a billionaire take us over, so I continue with the hope that we can win the league without one. Honestly, I think that's the only way though. Chelsea and Man City never looked like winning the league until they got all the money.

How about this? If Spurs win the title, does anyone expect it to be with us as favourites at say, March? Or would we be underdogs pipping others to the post?

We're gonna win it this year! :adegrin2:

Ade to score 40 goals! :avblol:Bale to be shit at Madrid and come back in Jan for £1m! :avblol:Harry Kane to be new world record player! :avblol:Ledley King to have a leg transplant and return to action! :avblol:AVB to develop a nervous twitch! :avblol:Levy to re-grow his hair!:avblol: Us to win the league with 115 points!

I can feel it. It is written! The stars, they are aligning!

What could go wrong?:gallas:

Look no further folks. This is man who has experienced a blighted fanhood right here. If a Cubs fan can believe, we don't even have time for hope in our assured impending successes.
The only reason I say that I think we'll win sometime is because I will (hopefully) live 50+ more years. Anything can happen in that time. My hope is minuscule at best though.

Well Spurs have also never been cursed by a goddamn goat. At least I hope not, I don't think I could deal with two of those in my life as a supporter.
Its a very painful full of disappointment. I do not recommend it. Now that the Cubs completely suck its a little easier because I don't have any expectations. But watching the Cubs and Spurs has probably taken 10+ years off my life because of nervous endings. My heart probably hates me for it.

In the foreseeable future (until 2020), I can see us winning the Europa League, and any of those English Cups (FA, Capital One). The League, I'm not so sure.

But who cares? After we qualify for the Champions League this season, we'll beat Barcelona in the finals 4-1. No biggy. :harrysmile:

We still have a lot of development in the squad before we can even start to think about challenging long term, let alone be mentioned in the running. I'm not talking about development in creating a team of who we have on the roster either, as that can be done with any Tom, Dick or Redknapp.

I'll run through the positions and show where I believe we need to improve. Using what I believe our best formation is, a 4-2-1-2-1

GK: Lloris, Friedel & Gomes
We have a world class number one, we have a suitable back up keeper at the moment, but this is for one season, another if we have to. We need to bring in a young ambitious keeper who can challenge Lloris for his spot.

LB: Rose & Naughton
Rose is on his way to becoming a great left back for a team trying to finish 5/6th, he is no way a league winning left back in training. He lacks concentration and has a fiery temper of every small man feeling the world on their shoulders. His little mistakes cost us dearly, within a couple of seasons these will be trained out of him, but he is not ready for where we are no, let alone where we want to be, and, he is first choice. Naughton needs to be sold and a top left back brought in making Rose back up. Someone who can go forward and have a final ball and still chip in with defense.

RB: Walker & Naughton
Walker has a great run for an athlete, but he seems to want to run then stop for people to acknowledge that he did something worth while, then give the ball away. As much as I love Aaron Lennon, Kyle has the same problem, no imagination of what to do when he gets himself into a good position, getting there is not the problem. With Naughton backing up two positions we are very bland for natural wing backs, the same as left back, we need to bring in a powerhouse right back to make Walker second string.

CB: Dawson, Kaboul, Vertonghen, ChubbaChubs & Fryers
Vertonghen and Kaboul are our best pairing, when fit, I have no doubts at the back when they play, however... When we play any of the others here we play like a mid table team at the back. Dawson needs to be sold, he is a great player... for the likes of Fulham, Bolton etc.. He panics, he's slow and isn't comfortable on the ball. Great defense splitting passes though. Fryers is too young to even get a mention in a league winning team, needs to go on loan to gain experience. Chiriches is a player who likes to play the way AVB is wanting us to play, however I do not see him as the main to take us to the next level, time will tell if he gets his fish market license to work in London. We need to bring in two ball playing defenders who are quick in pace and are hard in the tackle that knock bother Kaboul and Verts to the bench.

DMC: Paulinho, Capoue, Dembele & Sandro
We have bought very well in this position, I think this is one of the best defensive make ups of a midfield structure in all of the league, we need to balance either Sandro or Capoue with either Paulinho or Dembele. Have a brutal tank holding with a pit-bull fairy to bring the ball forward. My favourite combination would be Sandro & Paulinho, more so than who they are or what they can do, with the world cup coming up, them playing together for a starting role in the Brazilian team would give them reason to be the anchor the team depend upon.

AMC: Erikson, Holtby & Sigurdsson
Erikson showed what he is made of whilst playing jet lagged from Argentina and just coming into the team and league, he has a lot more in him than we've seen, once he's settled he'll be back to what he is known to do, at twenty mother fucking one. Holtby seems to get overlooked all the time, what was the point in buying him if we don't play him enough? He is my sub for this position as I like how he plays with space but doesn't have the passing ability of Huddlestone, let alone Erikson. I don't like Siggy, he has no end product. I'd sell Holtby and Siggy and bring in another world class player with Carroll playing more of a role after his much needed loan spell for development.

AMR: Lamela & Lennon
I haven't seen Lamela play properly yet for Spurs, that doesn't mean to say that he is not a quality player, I'm just waiting to see how he blends into our team. Lennon was my favourite player last season over everyone, I believe moving from challenging for 4th and moving into the top 4 means that we need a player who can go somewhere as well as Lennon does, but be able to finish off the move with something, anything, a goal every now and then, an assist maybe, something?! But no, he just runs and runs, then starts again. We need sufficient back up for Lamela.

AML: Townsend & Chadli
I did not expect Townsend to have such an impact as he has already this season, although I do believe he should be curbed a bit in his enthusiasm, the reason being is simply because of the amount of stupid shots he takes. I think AVB has asked him to put Bale's shoes on to soften the blow of a like for like player that clearly isn't the same player. Townsend will be a much better player if he looks up for team mates before shooting, or if he's going to shoot, at least be in a position to trouble the keeper. I'm not so sure about Chadli, he's going to need a lot of time blending into the team then league. Do we have the time to wait for such a transition?

CF: Soldado, Defoe & Adebayor

If we play with a creating AMC then either of these players will be good enough this season, the only reason the pair from last season were shit last season was because they weren't fed well enough. Look at Soldado, in his first three league games he wasn't given the ball enough by a creative man in order to attempt to score, let alone actually score. With Erikson playing the way he played, and that's not even a good performance from the man, we are going to get goals from our strikers, even playing Ade. If we are looking to get rid of Ade then I believe paying him off the £1m as it saves us money rather than letting him rot in the reserves.

22 man squad plus youngsters is what we need, and a lot of improvement is needed in most areas in order to believe we can attempt a title push, won't be happening this season, with the right acquisitions over the January sales and off season next summer, we'll start a title push within a couple or three seasons. To actually obtain it will take more from the mental game than the attribute side.

Well, when it comes to baseball, I'm a Braves fan. We won the world series in my lifetime and we win the eastern division virtually every year.

Spurs have won a number of important trophies in my lifetime and I don't see why the league won't be one of them. I think we have an excellent shot at it this season never mind when I'm old and grey.

Word, Braves fan here myself.

Back
Top Bottom