Title in your lifetime?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do you honestly think Spurs will win a league title in your lifetime?

• Total voters
Honest question, and this is sincerely not meant as a troll. Occasionally, when people say that we could win the title, I'm glad people see us as contenders, but deep down, I don't really believe that we'll really do it. Maybe it's just that I'm 41 now and I've never seen us win a league title, and the closest I can remember was in '87. Obviously, I'd love us to win one, but if it ever happens I think it would be more surprising than expected for me. I'm not generally a glass half empty kind of person either, just have gotten used to the idea of never winning it. I can't imagine fans of any of the other top 6 teams thinking this way. Just wondering if this is a very Spursy outlook and is common to most of us, or if younger supporters are more optimistic?

I feel I should input a line from Journey "Don't stop believing" with all the money in the game it is getting harder but 1 or 2 years champions league would turn us into challengers. I never thought I'd see spurs unearth a world class player like Bale. Imagine if we get 1 more Bale with our new signings and that dream may occur and we'll all be dancing in the high road.

I'm 23 so i do believe and hope i get to see us winning the title. Whether this happens in the following years or later in the future remains to be seen, but i do think it is within our grasp to win the league. Call me an optimist i guess...
And let's not forget: It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory

I grew up a Boston Red Sox fan, which for a long, long time was very Spursy. Even when they finally won the World Series, every true fan, deep down, fully expected the Red Sox to blow it in the end, even with two outs in the ninth inning.

They won. It can happen. Spurs are on the right track. And hopefully I've still got a long, long time to live.

Honestly glad to see that so many are optimistic. A bit surprised that it's so one-sided so far. I think this current crop under AVB could push us close and I like the direction we're going. I guess the dross of the 90s turned me into a cynic, if I'd grown up watching the side of today I'd probably be more gung ho.
:parker:

I like the way we're going and the way that the club has certainly learned (more easy to spot recently) how to address problem areas, both in terms of signings and just tactics. The only things left in my opinion are a ruthlessness and a winning mentality. We're close though and I can see it happening in the next few years if nothing happens to rock the boat too hard

I grew up a Boston Red Sox fan, which for a long, long time was very Spursy. Even when they finally won the World Series, every true fan, deep down, fully expected the Red Sox to blow it in the end, even with two outs in the ninth inning.

They won. It can happen. Spurs are on the right track. And hopefully I've still got a long, long time to live.

I'm a Red Sox fan too :thumbup: Still, in true spursy style I voted no, but deep inside me hope springs eternal :avbpray:

Probably to my stupid naivity, I'm hoping we can compete for a title next season. We are a striker and a backup GK away from a complete squad. We have enough depth and talent. The players aren't fully accustomed to each other yet and don't know their roles entirely. Give them this season to work it out. Next season will be AVB's third season, his philosophy and game style should be more or less complete. We have the players and next season they will have played together for a year, and I don't expect any major deals next summer from us. This season - Hope for second, expect third, settle for fourth. Next season - Hope for first, expect second, settle for third.

I'm from Chicago and a diehard cubs fan so I am about as pessimistic as it comes for sports fans. That being said, I'm 19 so there is a lot of time for them to win something. I think that we could pull it out one year.

@ Sanchez18 Sanchez18 why should we be expecting 3rd when we're not at all an established CL team?

I think we have a clear squad advantage on Woolwich and arguable talent advantage on United. Set expectations high. Expect third because on paper we are the third best team. Then it becomes real football, not on paper. We can still finish above Woolwich and United if we handle lower level teams just like we did against Norwich.

See, I take the opposite inspiration from the Sox. Once Duquette had everything in place (1999), I knew that the team would be a persistent challenger for the AL crown, which meant that a WS was in reach (the addition of the Wild Card helped immensely, too). Patience and faith in the plan were the key virtues. Sure, I crawled into a shell after Aaron fucking Boone, but that shell lasted only that night, since I was absolutely convinced the Sox would be back in the ALCS in 2004. I had no doubts--the team was too good and too well run not to. Of course, that 2004 ALCS was beyond insane… but it did not feel, to me, like the Sox were catching lightning in a bottle for one shot at glory (like the White Sox in 2005). The team was built to succeed. And they did again in 2007. And then they underwent more turnover, had two hilariously bad collapses during the turnover, and are now, again, the best team in baseball.

I've said all along (and I think @ Smoked Salmon Smoked Salmon has echoed these thoughts) that the PL doesn't work (anymore?) on a lightning in a bottle model. Clubs don't challenge for the title overnight. It takes a ton of investment just to make the leap into the top 4! So I think Spurs are, like the early 00s Red Sox, a very well run club that is moving on up toward being a persistent threat for the title. And one year, things will align themselves just right, and we'll get that extra bit of luck to put us over (since luck plays a role in every title unless you're Barça or Celtic these days).

Break into the top four for a few seasons. Then into a legit title race for a few seasons. Then it'll happen. We just have to keep our positive trajectory.

Not a very Spursy/Curse of Bambino outlook I know, but my Red Sox fan friends and I always knew that winning a title was best pursued as a multi-year project, not as something that could be derailed by something as fickle as a curse.

I think we have a clear squad advantage on Woolwich and arguable talent advantage on United. Set expectations high. Expect third because on paper we are the third best team. Then it becomes real football, not on paper. We can still finish above Woolwich and United if we handle lower level teams just like we did against Norwich.
no

Back
Top Bottom