Timo Werner

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Werner is a no brainer for the price, he is generally always fit, works hard and has pace and provides assists and the odd goal. Will be invaluable both off the bench and when others are being rested maybe after big CL games

I go back and forth on it but if you look at him simply as an upgrade on the collective Perisic, Gil and Solomon it makes sense.

Persic wages gone, take what we can get for Gil. No idea what will become of Solomon.

Ideally you want 2 new starters in our forward line.

Son -- CF -- RW
(Werner) - Veliz - (Johnson)

Kulu and Solomon also in the mix.

If we get a top class CF and flog Richy we should be okay with one of the young strikers as emergency cover. We would always have the option of Son/Werner through the middle anyway.

Personally I would activate the buy clause. He is a great squad player. We need to go for better but I am very happy with him staying (as a squad player).

There's #notowerner campaign on X from some of our fans because they don't want us to sign him, God we really do have se pathetic clowns in this fanbase 🥴

But I thought it was #backange

There's #notowerner campaign on X from some of our fans because they don't want us to sign him, God we really do have se pathetic clowns in this fanbase 🥴

But I thought it was #backange
I can see a whole 9 posts using that hashtag

5 of them in 2022 or earlier

:pocheyes:

#fraud
#grandstander
#ok

I thought I heard on a pod cast that he has had two goals and five assists in 11 games.
What has kulu done in those 11 games?
He is a decent squad option for next season for 15 million.
I hear the argument that we should put the money into a bigger name and a better player . We could and he then does his knee and is out for the season…. As happened to sess, peresic and Solomon. That can happen.

I'd definitely keep him - very useful squad player.

We'd still need to sign another top quality wing-forward as competition for Brennan etc.

Spot on.

Signing him wont even dent our balance sheet. It's a no brainer. We saw what can happen with injuries / suspensions etc.

He is lacking finishing , we all know, but he is also a nightmare for defences and has proven himself in Ange's system.

As soon as you're playing a "modern" high press we've seen time and time again, not least from Liverpool and City, that you need to pretty much have 6 good forward players for the 3 roles. They need to rotate not only between league/fa cup/champions league but also substitutions around the 70th minute.

Even more so now that every game is usually 95-100 minutes long.

So getting one of those rotation players for the absolute cut price we're getting? And that player also being hungry, fit, great mentality, loved by the coach?

Come on, we can't afford not to buy him!

The guy making the OP is right though.

We get Werner in early, which is fine in itself. But that releases the pressure and leaves room for the one we really want to flop because the selling club are unreasonable or the player wants high wages...It's the "we tried" pattern.

When was the last time we backed out on a transfer only then not to fulfill the position?

There is no doubt we could and should do better than Werner. But, as others have said, for the cost involved he seems to me to be a good signing. Some of his approach play has been excellent, skinning full backs and getting in crosses for assists and setting up chances that with better finishing from others, should have resulted in more goals. On a rotation basis and as a squad player under Ange I think he will continue to do well and improve.

As long as we accept his limitations in front of goal where faced with real golden scoring opportunities he often morphs into a combination of Soldado/Janssen/Sissoko. On these occasions, if the side netting was the goal he’d be a 30 goal a season player.

When was the last time we backed out on a transfer only then not to fulfill the position?

Eh?

We were meant to be bringing in 2 CBs for about 5 summers in a row.

We were after a Bastoni level CB and Lenglet on loan but ended up with just Lenglet on loan.

Just this summer we were chasing 2 CBs. the story coming out of POk was that we might even end up with VDV AND Tapsoba at one point. We ended up with 1 CB.

This kind of stuff about signing one doesn't mean we won't sign 2 is classic.

I guess i'm in the minority here, but i think Timo has been really good for us!

Of all the wingers we'we got, he's the one that regularly takes people on, and actually beats them.

Sonny, BJ, and Deki often hesitates, stops play, and passes backwards or sideways. Things we hate when we play a low block.

Sure he sometimes put crosses into row Z , but more often than not they are good.

We all cry out for wingers that takes people on and beats them, Timo does just that. So i can take that he is not a goalscorer and that he puts some crosses into the stands.

It's a no-brainer for me.

Last edited:
Eh?

We were meant to be bringing in 2 CBs for about 5 summers in a row.

We were after a Bastoni level CB and Lenglet on loan but ended up with just Lenglet on loan.

Just this summer we were chasing 2 CBs. the story coming out of POk was that we might even end up with VDV AND Tapsoba at one point. We ended up with 1 CB.

This kind of stuff about signing one doesn't mean we won't sign 2 is classic.

Fair enough.

Back
Top Bottom