Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Of course he does, which is why Fitch is essentially asking, "To what extent?" A manager will always get a say, but Sherwood is effectively an interim manager on a longer leash for the time being, so people will wonder just how much say he does have.
It's worth remembering that he's also a member of the transfer committee .

Why don't we need Holtby - young player with great potential - far more than someone like Chadli for example or even Sig

Not really going to compare our need for Holtby to that of Berbatov, Modric and Bale are you?

I think Siggy has shown what a player he can be in the PL at Swansea, but will probably never be more than a utility player for us. He, like Holtby could get regular football at another club.

I wouldnt mind which one left, but I think one needs to. I dont see much difference to be honest.

Chadli is a player I rate, and offers something totally different to those two, namely crosses, and winning headers at corners.
Id really like to keep him, and let him and Townsend battle it out for LW, and eventually see Eriksen behind Ade.

As I said earlier, Im not sure how much potential a 23yr old will fulfill at the level we require, if he hasnt even nailed down a first team spot yet. He got game time under AVB, and did a decent job, but we have much better, and he shouldnt be starting.

Again, its him that wants out.

Last edited:
We showed them respect. They didnt show us any.

The difference is, we needed them.
Funny isn't it that berbatov is now at Fulham and has tried to engineer a move to the scum but by the sound of things the peado ain't interested. I hope he gets stuck there and feels the joy of relegation. We could pick up a very talented striker for just two million who would more than replace Defoe but the thought of cheering berbatov, not good.

not sure if this has been posted already but a quick explanation of sherwood's formation/tactics from the man himself

Speaking to former Spur Garth Crooks on BBC Football Focus this past weekend, the Tottenham boss went into further detail about a tactical ideology that is pragmatic to say the least.

"I like to play an offensive style. I like attacking players to play in attacking areas of the field and I like defenders to be responsible at the right times. I don't buy into formations too much. Players win football matches, not formations. I think that's where I try to put my point across to the players. It's not about how we set you out on the board, or on a TV screen. Its about what we're asking you to do on the field of play"

Before Sherwood, alot of people were very happy to win at any cost, playing any way and all that mattered was 3pts.

With Sherwood, the way we are winning is now a major concern to many of those same people.

Odd

For me, it's the role they play in the Levy cycle.

New, likely foreign manager with a 'system' or a 'project' = a step up. So you show more patience and are perhaps more flexible in your thinking and perhaps kid yourself that the good times are around the corner.

New extended interim manager, likely English or tactically simplistic (apparently) = style matters because there is an assumed glass ceiling.

Perhaps it isn't fair but that's certainly how I view it. Do I think Sherwood will take us to the next level? Probably not. Do I think AVB could have? Yes - and he may have had an idea as to what to do next.

On a separate note, I'm concerned what happens if Sherwood DOES take us to the Champions' League. Levy is left in a bit of an Abramovic situation - does he fire the successful manager who wasn't meant to succeed to replace him with Van Gaal (or whoever)? Or does he stick with him, miss out on the next 'step up' manager and potentially have to draft in a new manager by November?

not sure if this has been posted already but a quick explanation of sherwood's formation/tactics from the man himself

Speaking to former Spur Garth Crooks on BBC Football Focus this past weekend, the Tottenham boss went into further detail about a tactical ideology that is pragmatic to say the least.

"I like to play an offensive style. I like attacking players to play in attacking areas of the field and I like defenders to be responsible at the right times. I don't buy into formations too much. Players win football matches, not formations. I think that's where I try to put my point across to the players. It's not about how we set you out on the board, or on a TV screen. Its about what we're asking you to do on the field of play"

I was rereading The Glory Game the other day and Bill Nicholson says almost exactly the same thing.

Nicholson states, "I regret the day that the theories of 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 came in. People think one is an attacking formation and the other defensive. There's no such thing. It misleads people, including players. Players think they are to defend rather than attack. It makes so-called defensive midfield men think he should always drop back rather than push forward, even when he's got the chance. I never talk about 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. It restricts thinking."

Almost prophetic, innit?

;)
For me, it's the role they play in the Levy cycle.

New, likely foreign manager with a 'system' or a 'project' = a step up. So you show more patience and are perhaps more flexible in your thinking and perhaps kid yourself that the good times are around the corner.

New extended interim manager, likely English or tactically simplistic (apparently) = style matters because there is an assumed glass ceiling.

Perhaps it isn't fair but that's certainly how I view it. Do I think Sherwood will take us to the next level? Probably not. Do I think AVB could have? Yes - and he may have had an idea as to what to do next.

On a separate note, I'm concerned what happens if Sherwood DOES take us to the Champions' League. Levy is left in a bit of an Abramovic situation - does he fire the successful manager who wasn't meant to succeed to replace him with Van Gaal (or whoever)? Or does he stick with him, miss out on the next 'step up' manager and potentially have to draft in a new manager by November?
Levy takes Timmeh aside and says "Timmmeh my boy, I have a great investment oppertunity for you, but the club wants to relocate you overseas"!! ;);)

I was rereading The Glory Game the other day and Bill Nicholson says almost exactly the same thing.

Nicholson states, "I regret the day that the theories of 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 came in. People think one is an attacking formation and the other defensive. There's no such thing. It misleads people, including players. Players think they are to defend rather than attack. It makes so-called defensive midfield men think he should always drop back rather than push forward, even when he's got the chance. I never talk about 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. It restricts thinking."

Almost prophetic, innit?

or maybe sherwood was reading the same book...
jokes aside i actually like the idea behind his comments..makes perfect sense..

From F365

Tim Sherwood might not possess the managerial credentials Tottenham fans were hoping for following Andre Villas-Boas' departure, but the early evidence of his tenure suggests he brings a new cause to the club - and one worth celebrating.

For too long Spurs have been a moth to the flame in the race for the top four, consumed by the money and status of the Champions League only to be denied by the glass ceiling below fourth. The heavy spending in the summer highlighted a crippling focus on the short term that rendered Villas-Boas' start to the season unacceptable, but under Sherwood it might be possible to find solace in the development of an identity that affords greater focus on the club's youth system.

It must be said, of course, that qualifying for the Champions League still remains a distinct possibility after Sherwood's haul of 13 points in his first five matches. However, it is clear that the new manager is not merely looking at what he can achieve in the remaining 17 fixtures. His impressive start has quickly eased fears over his unexpected promotion, but it is Sherwood's long-term vision for the club that offers real encouragement to supporters left in limbo by two decades of chopping and changing.

While Nabil Bentaleb's selection ahead of Etienne Capoue against Crystal Palace raised a few eyebrows at White Hart Lane, Sherwood's faith in the youngster is something to be championed and points to a long-awaited and much-needed new direction. As interim manager, Sherwood expressed that he would only consider the position full-time if he was given assurances over a renewed focus on the club's youth policy and it appears he has the courage of his convictions.

"If something happened on a longer term with me it (the youth set-up) would be addressed," he said before his appointment on an 18-month contract. "The last thing we would want to do is stunt their growth because there are some top young players down there ready to step up.

"I don't want this job for five minutes. That's no interest to me. Are we going to move it forward or not?"

Bentaleb's promotion has been at the core of Sherwood's intentions and the 19-year-old has impressed in his four matches thus far - including a substitute appearance at Old Trafford and a first start in the FA Cup defeat to Woolwich. It is clear that he is a raw talent, but it seems he is ready to be moulded by his first-team experience, rather than broken. His inclusion has been seen by many to be an opportunistic ploy by Sherwood to boast his previous work as Spurs' technical co-ordinator, but that accusation has been vehemently denied by the manager.

"A lot of these new players I don't even know. I've had three days training with them. It's about the heat of the battle and knowing who you can trust, and the kid's ready to play," said Sherwood after handing Bentaleb his debut against Southampton.

"At Southampton, with the greatest of respect, their youngsters get a chance. When you're at a club like Tottenham spending £110m in the transfer window, it's difficult to get an opportunity. But I knew what I was going to get. He trains like every day is the last day in the world, listens and has a fantastic attitude."

It is perhaps rather strange that Sherwood has been so forceful in his opinions during his first month in charge, but having been employed by the club for five years he has been in the perfect position to observe the mistakes of previous managers and the boardroom regime. In recent seasons it has been claimed that the gap to Woolwich is closing in north London, but the Gunners' enduring focus on developing their own talent provides a stark contrast with Spurs' principal plan to draw up a new approach as soon as the current blueprint begins to fail.

Never has that been more evident than during a summer of enormous spending that confused ambition with transfer market splurging. Hindsight has revealed that the club would have been better sitting on the money gained by Gareth Bale's sale to Real Madrid to assess targets in greater detail, but some spectators are already pointing out gaps in the squad that need to be plugged in January. The irony has not been lost on Sherwood.

"We don't need any players in," he said. "We've got a few injuries, but that's the last thing we need: players."

As rumours circulate that Capoue, Nacer Chadli and Lewis Holtby could follow Jermain Defoe out of the exit door, it seems Sherwood will continue to place his faith in Bentaleb as well as several other youngsters pushing for a first-team promotion. Zeki Fryers was awarded his first Premier League start in the 3-0 win over Stoke while pacy midfielder Ryan Fredericks has also been involved in six of Sherwood's seven match-day squads.

The question now is whether supporters are prepared to show patience in the new manager's approach. It will be difficult to blood young players and achieve the instant success that is craved, but failing to secure fourth may not feel so catastrophic if among those who missed out are several of Spurs' own products. The end has justified the means for too long at White Hart Lane and suggestions that Villas-Boas' sacking was hastened by the manager ignoring the 'Tottenham Way' were met with justified derision.

However, should Sherwood be given time to implement his plans, the idea of a new identity presents fans something to unite behind, rather than crossing their fingers in the roll of the dice for fourth.

Matthew Stanger

Sherwood's comments on Capoue..
“I’ve got a certain amount of trust in other players before some others, but the longer I’m with them on the training field, the more I’m getting to know them and the more I’m getting attached to some of the new players as well.

He added: “All I can say with regards to Etienne Capoue is that he’s never caused me a minute’s problem here. We have a good relationship. He realises that I’ve used Nabil Bentaleb in front of him – not only him but Lewis Holtby and a few other players in the midfield area – because I knew the young boy and I trusted him.

“Etienne has played, he played at Old Trafford, and he’s been asked to play in reserve games to keep up his fitness, along with other players.

“The fact is I’m still getting to know some of these new players and I know the other ones better.”

Where have we heard that phrase before

Sherwood - When asked if he was willing to let players go, he said: "Yes, absolutely. As long as they're the players I don't want to take us forwards, then I'm happy (to sell them).

Sorry but this is not on. For starters, Tim Sherwood is not the manager to take us forwards and anyone who thinks he will be in charge at the start of next season should think again, therefore he is in no position to decide which players he wants to take us forward. If players want to leave because they aren't played enough or because Sherwood doesn't even know much about them (which by the way is ridiculous for a 'professional' coach) then so be it but the likes of Holtby and Capoue are good players so surely loan them out if they HAVE to go and let the manager next season decide if he wants them or not.

I cannot believe our plan after sacking AVB was to employ Tim Sherwood long term, he surely is just temporary whether he likes it or not. Sure he is doing okay but this is mainly due to the freedom the players have on the pitch compared to the tactics of AVB but he seems to have little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2.
Bring in Van Gaal in the summer and thank Sherwood for helping us through a tough period, do not even consider letting him have a say in transfers. Ridiculous.

Sorry but this is not on. For starters, Tim Sherwood is not the manager to take us forwards and anyone who thinks he will be in charge at the start of next season should think again, therefore he is in no position to decide which players he wants to take us forward. If players want to leave because they aren't played enough or because Sherwood doesn't even know much about them (which by the way is ridiculous for a 'professional' coach) then so be it but the likes of Holtby and Capoue are good players so surely loan them out if they HAVE to go and let the manager next season decide if he wants them or not.

I cannot believe our plan after sacking AVB was to employ Tim Sherwood long term, he surely is just temporary whether he likes it or not. Sure he is doing okay but this is mainly due to the freedom the players have on the pitch compared to the tactics of AVB but he seems to have little tactical knowledge other than all out attack in a 4-4-2
See, the thing is that Levy has put himself in a difficult position. I'm still not convinced by Weasel, but while he's getting results I'm happy to sit back and try and look at things objectively. But the fact is that inexperience is not just about tactics on the pitch, it's the whole job of being manager. Whether or not it's Levy's plan to ship out Weasel at the end of the season, the fact is that he has to be seen to back Sherwood otherwise we come out looking ever more absurd for sacking AVB without a backup plan. So I think we could very well see Sherwood messing around with the squad because otherwise the daggers will be out for Levy immediately for undermining Weasel before he's really had a chance to be judged long term.

But I agree with you, this notion that he's playing youth players over the summer signings purely because he knows them better absolutely beggar's belief. It's comments like this that betray his extreme inexperience. That's not to say I think think there is no talent in players like Bentaleb, I absolutely do, but what the fuck has Sherwood been doing for all the years he's been at the club? He's supposedly been to and watched every single first team game over god knows how many years. So why doesn't he have an idea about the senior players and what they can do? Or does he need to know them as mates before he'll play them? This kind of attitude worries me greatly, and the idea of shipping out players after only 6 months seems beset by the worst kind of short termism. Hopefully it won't happen- well, that is unless Weasel has been ordered to sell before he can buy, that wouldn't be a first now would it?

See, the thing is that Levy has put himself in a difficult position. I'm still not convinced by Weasel, but while he's getting results I'm happy to sit back and try and look at things objectively. But the fact is that inexperience is not just about tactics on the pitch, it's the whole job of being manager. Whether or not it's Levy's plan to ship out Weasel at the end of the season, the fact is that he has to be seen to back Sherwood otherwise we come out looking ever more absurd for sacking AVB without a backup plan. So I think we could very well see Sherwood messing around with the squad because otherwise the daggers will be out for Levy immediately for undermining Weasel before he's really had a chance to be judged long term.

But I agree with you, this notion that he's playing youth players over the summer signings purely because he knows them better absolutely beggar's belief. It's comments like this that betray his extreme inexperience. That's not to say I think think there is no talent in players like Bentaleb, I absolutely do, but what the fuck has Sherwood been doing for all the years he's been at the club? He's supposedly been to and watched every single first team game over god knows how many years. So why doesn't he have an idea about the senior players and what they can do? Or does he need to know them as mates before he'll play them? This kind of attitude worries me greatly, and the idea of shipping out players after only 6 months seems beset by the worst kind of short termism. Hopefully it won't happen- well, that is unless Weasel has been ordered to sell before he can buy, that wouldn't be a first now would it?

I suspect that Levy will make it absolutely clear, if he feels that Sherwood wants X, Y and Z gone, that the onus is on Sherwood to achieve what AVB couldn't last year in an attractive way. That is the only way he will stay beyond the end of the season AND the only way he gets control over ins and outs.

Back
Top Bottom