Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah, this was a tactical hammering but only Sherwood's 5th game in charge at this level. It's the kind of game that a good coach would learn from and take forward so I'm sure we'll find out before the end of the season whether he's got what it takes to evolve and adapt.

I agree. The "problem" is that for Sherwood, he has basically no time to learn, to make misakes and to grow. He has to be "That good" now. Else he will be out the door in 5 months time.

I cannot imagine for a second Levy has written off this season, he will still have expectation. And if we whimper out Sherwood will be finished.

To be honest, I quite suspect if Sherwood does a credible job through this season and earns a shot at next season as well he will still be sacked if someone like van Gaal is on offer...

Hi guys, new to the forum so hello to all of you.

I am actually quite happy we have TS in comparison to AVB, as I don't like watching boring football but agree he's learning on the job and it will take time. Perhaps a bit naive going toe to toe with Woolwich away without the likes of Sandro, Vertoghen and Paulinho out there but I don't buy into some of the doom and gloom sentiment, the midfield performance in the second half at least was good, particularly when we switched to a 4-5-1 like formation (with Eriksen in the hole behind Ade) it wasn't awful, not like the Man City, Liverpool, West Ham humiliations, although our strike force seemed to have a big off day.

I personally hope Sherwood opts for a formation like 4-5-1 with Sandro, Vertoghen, Chirches, Paulinho and Eriksen and maybe Ade up front with Townsend on the left and Lennon on the right, I believe this would be both defensively and offensively balanced. A strong spine, speed down the wings and midfielders who are good in and around the box.

I glad we have a manager who plays the ‘Spurs way’ and just hope that he is given the time and has the skill to make a real go of it, anything’s better than AVB. I am curious as to whether you think TS needs any new players; personally I am only worried about the forwards and the left back position. If Berbatov wasn’t such a dick I would say get him and get Benny back from QPR.

Saw this on a 'pool forum, pretty funny tbh
vgpvtv.jpg

haha, wtf for a second I actually thought those sticks were real.

the midfield performance in the second half at least was good, particularly when we switched to a 4-5-1 like formation (with Eriksen in the hole behind Ade) it wasn't awful, not like the Man City, Liverpool, West Ham humiliations, although our strike force seemed to have a big off day.

Hi mate , welcome.

I don't disagree with what you are saying, however the bit highlighted above is a little misleading. For a period of time we played against 10 men due to theo's injury. So naturally you would expect the performance levels to look better.

Yeh maybe but even before that out midfield was not awful, Soldado was invisible though. Just a bit concerned playing 4-4-2 when we don't have the quality up front, if we had Sheringham and Klinsmann I would not mind but Ade and Rob aren't in their league. On the other hand Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela, Sandro, Holtby so on and so on are great midfielders, if we have so many in abundance then we only really need a target man and we can try and play a Woolwich style where midfielders are constantly breaking into the box, Eriksen and Paulinho do this naturally. Still early days just hoping we can have a bit of stability as I think we have a very talented squad.

Yeh maybe but even before that out midfield was not awful, Soldado was invisible though. Just a bit concerned playing 4-4-2 when we don't have the quality up front, if we had Sheringham and Klinsmann I would not mind but Ade and Rob aren't in their league. On the other hand Eriksen, Paulinho, Lamela, Sandro, Holtby so on and so on are great midfielders, if we have so many in abundance then we only really need a target man and we can try and play a Woolwich style where midfielders are constantly breaking into the box, Eriksen and Paulinho do this naturally. Still early days just hoping we can have a bit of stability as I think we have a very talented squad.

Yeah 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 for me unless weaker teams then play Bobby as well.
Lennon-Sandro-Paulinho-Eriksen-Townsend
Adebayor

Sandro-Eriksen-Paulinho
Lamela-Adebayor-Townsend

Just watched his interview on Football Focus.
Can't argue with his confidence, seems to know the right things to say.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25696281 (UK Only I think?)

In summary he says AVB did a good job, but wants attacking and entertaining football. Says he will 'show the boys who is boss' on matchday. Only downside is that he's taking his management style from Dalglish... Jeez.

Too right shit first half for all of the issues around tactics this and tactics that sometimes a manager needs to give them a good kick up the arse.
Definitely, I'm glad he did that. Should've been cleared up so we're ready to play at kick off though really! we were lucky to escape that first half..

Comparison so far.

Sherwood 5 matches 13 points 11 scored 4 conceded.
AVB 16 matches 27 points 15 scored 21 conceded.

Sherwood 2.6 pts per match AVB 1.69 pts
Sherwood 2.2 goals per match AVB 0.94 goals
Sherwood 0.8 conceded per match AVB 1.31 goals

So in summary we are currently gaining an extra point per match, scoring more than double and conceding almost half we did despite having only half a squad available to us.
Wasn't pretty first half today, but no worse than standard fayre at home under AVB, and showed the benefit of playing 2 up top and getting players in the box. Showed he can turn the game around.
But in the main has shown that it was 100% the right decision to replace AVB, and is showing that we do have a decent team, but were previously just being hindered.

We are on a roll now, he might just be able to salvage something out of this season, which was all but lost, and with the squad in turmoil prior to his appointment.

Last edited:
Comparison so far.

Sherwood 5 matches 13 points 11 scored 4 conceded.
AVB 16 matches 27 points 15 scored 21 conceded.

Sherwood 2.6 pts per match AVB 1.69 pts
Sherwood 2.2 goals per match AVB 0.94 goals
Sherwood 0.8 conceded per match AVB 1.31 goals

So in summary we are currently gaining an extra point per match, scoring more than double and conceding almost half we did despite having only half a squad available to us.
Wasn't pretty first half today, but no worse than standard fayre at home under AVB, and showed the benefit of playing 2 up top and getting players in the box. Showed he can turn the game around.
But in the main has shown that it was 100% the right decision to replace AVB, and is showing that we do have a decent team, but were previously just being hindered.

We are on a roll now, he might just be able to salvage something out of this season, which was all but lost, and with the squad in turmoil prior to his appointment.

this is a tough comparison..besides playing an out of form man utd away, we've had a relatively easy run post-AVB...lets see what we do against city at home and or the rest of the season before jumping to conclusions

this is a tough comparison..besides playing an out of form man utd away, we've had a relatively easy run post-AVB...lets see what we do against city at home and or the rest of the season before jumping to conclusions
Agree as well difficult to compare avb has played the tougher games but Sherwood has had an injury nightmare when we have all our players back and we play the top teams we will see glad we are playing attacking footy now though.

Agree as well difficult to compare avb has played the tougher games but Sherwood has had an injury nightmare when we have all our players back and we play the top teams we will see glad we are playing attacking footy now though.

sure, sherwood has had some injuries and has brought more attacking football back to WHL but avb's win percentage is the best of any tottenham manager, so a quick 4 game comparision dosnt offer really any worthwhile conclusions...it does look promising though

I honestly don't think many fans could have sat throught much more of avbs drab football. What I've seen so far in sheerwoods side is promising. Sure it'll probably all go tits up but we'll know know soon enough.

By the way I was delighted when we signed avb but was happy when he went. IMO he was found out and if I was him I'd be be signing up next years Paris dakar as soon as.

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I just saw this!!

Tim rap for lazy Spurs
EXCLUSIVE: TOTTENHAM boss clashed with a number of stars — including summer acquisition Capoue
By CHARLIE WYETT
Published: 7 hrs ago

TIM SHERWOOD has accused some of his Tottenham stars of being lazy and unprofessional.
To read more of this article sign up for Sun+ today.

... I can't read the whole article as I would need to pay.
But if this is true, could this be why Capoue and Holtby are not getting as many minutes?

I mean I did notice, TS mention it in a couple of interviews that he would take desire over ability all day long.
However, while it obviously is worrisome that our players are acting such, but on the contrary isn't it a bit unwise and maybe edgy that TS had come out to say this? Shouldn't he just handle it behind curtains?

Anyway, we can't still tell much as we need more info, plus that it's the Sun.
Oh and while Holtby clearly doesn't strike me as someone with a lack of desire, he may be unprofessional though. Maybe this ITK posted on SC a few days ago does have some truth:

I got on the train after the west ham cc game the other week and a couple of old guys got on after us. They were the coach drivers for the spurs 1st team. I got talking to them and they were saying how childish the footballers were. They mentioned Holtby as a complete child who was constantly messing around a pranking on the bus when they had to go to away matches. They said that he was always throwing sweets and other players. Ruining other peoples stuff and generally being a prat. They also said that BAE was a total lunatic. They said that one day he refused to get off the coach until he had finished watching a film on his iPad. There was half an hour left. They also said that the gambling that went on was ridiculous. And the money that exchanged hands was scandalous.

I know this is not earth shattering news but maybe gives insight into:

A) why they might send Holtby out on loan. Maybe they feel he needs to grow up a bit
B) why they don't want BAE in or around the team anymore.

Back
Top Bottom