The Squad - Who stays/goes?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the first time I’ve felt genuinely hopeless about what positive changes can be made to this squad. Obviously I've felt fed up at our failings for a while, but am embarrassed to say this has been the point when I finally realised the true severity of the endless cycle we're in.

Over the last 5 or so years how many comments to the effect of “if we just shift the dead wood and get 2-3 top signings in key positions, we’re right in it!” have been written on this forum? It’s fucking depressing. There's systemic barriers in place deep within the fibres of the club that prevent us from, firstly, being able to accurately identify our issues and secondly, swiftly and affectively fix them.

The only way we're going to find another purple patch of joy, as we had under Poch, is by sheer luck. We either stumble upon another Bale/Kane level talent from nowhere or we just tumble into mid-table purgatory.

A lot in football is down to luck and circumstance, but it shouldn't be our one and only hope.

No matter how much we write about it here - it's extremely unlikely anyone smart enough is going to be allowed to cut swathes through the squad and implement their vision. They also wont be afforded the necessary time or money to do so. Players like Ndombele and Winks are going to be with us until their contracts just wither away.
Absolutely bang on, my friend. Well spoken

How many time we said rebuilds since 2016/17? Why don't you get it, it won't happen. Give up, our squad this season is weaker than last season and the previous seasons. We have only 2 players in temperamental Romero and aging may leave Kane, you may say we have youngsters but these are speculations nothing more.
It is NOT working with this current regime, they will not change the way the club is run, till new owners.

Why would you do that........?

Rather than offer them some more player on 'special'?
Add in Gil and Royal then £18 million would be acceptable. All not good enough and having poor players like that about is one of the reasons we are not consistent. There’s no pressure from the players on the bench so the ones that start always know they’ll play. Get the dead wood to fuck.

Imagine a massive exodus

Lloris
Sanchez
Tanganga
Rodon
Lenglet
Reguilon
Sessegnon
Perisic
Winks
Lo Celso
Hojbjerg
Ndombele
Son (It might be time..)
Danjuma
Moura
Yes this exodus in one single transfer window is definitely happening his summer together with £750m cash to spend on new players.

Kane makes clear in no uncertain terms that he will not sign a new contract and will leave Spurs next summer if not permitted to do so this summer.

Manchester United table a bid for 80 million pounds.

What do you do?
Sell, let the guy get what he deserves, trophies. He has much more chance anywhere else, he has zero chance at Spurs. I hope he goes to Mancity.

Get rid of;
Lloris (free)
Tanganga (£7m)
Sess (£10m)
Sanchez (£8m)
Perisic (free, mutually end contract)
Lenglet (loan ending)
Lo Celso (£10m)
Ndombele (loan out, nobody will buy)
Hojbjerg (£15m)
Lucas(free)
Gil (£12m)
Rodon (£4m)

Reguilon (£8m)
Winks (£6m)

The bold ones are probably the only realistic ones to sell for those prices. Winks is only if another Italian team wants him.

Selling players is just not easy. Many of these players would probably have to take pay cuts and will reject the transfer.

Reguilon has played 4 matches all season and his only contribution is a red card. I doubt anyone will match our wages for him. He’ll just be loaned out until his contract expires.

The bold ones are probably the only realistic ones to sell for those prices. Winks is only if another Italian team wants him.

Selling players is just not easy. Many of these players would probably have to take pay cuts and will reject the transfer.

Reguilon has played 4 matches all season and his only contribution is a red card. I doubt anyone will match our wages for him. He’ll just be loaned out until his contract expires.
I agree, it is a lot harder to sell than people think. But the listed prices are very cheap compared to their transfermarket values which are already pretty low. The big thing is if we can agree to pay a wage buyout for players just to move them.

We can compensate some wages of these players and get the transfer fees quoted above. Sanchez would surely cost 10M. PEH is easily 30M to another PL/BuLi club. Gil and Rodon won't be sold (most likely that Dier goes to a mid/lower table PL side). Lo Celso is also likely to stay, depending on the manager.

I agree, it is a lot harder to sell than people think. But the listed prices are very cheap compared to their transfermarket values which are already pretty low. The big thing is if we can agree to pay a wage buyout for players just to move them.
Maybe if we get lucky. That’s just my opinion and it could be wrong. Hopefully we can sell a few of them. I’ve definitely seen people list far more unreasonable prices.

One thing I’m pretty sure about is we have almost no chance of selling ALL of them. I’d be happy with 4-5.

We can compensate some wages of these players and get the transfer fees quoted above. Sanchez would surely cost 10M. PEH is easily 30M to another PL/BuLi club. Gil and Rodon won't be sold (most likely that Dier goes to a mid/lower table PL side). Lo Celso is also likely to stay, depending on the manager.
Sanchez has 1 year left on his contract and makes 3.3m/year. So true if he had to take a pay cut to 1.5m/year, we could maybe get 12m and give 1.8m to Sanchez. But just seems difficult. But not impossible.

STAYS
  • Frase
  • Austin or Whiteman
  • Big Ben
  • Emerson (play as CB/RCB?)
  • Porro
  • Spence
  • Udogie
  • Roddy
  • Skippy
  • Pape
  • Biss
  • Kulu
  • Gil
  • Kane
  • Parrott
GOES...forever!
  • Levy
  • Paratici
  • Hugo
  • Austin or Whiteman
  • Dier
  • Sanchez
  • Tanganga
  • Lenglet
  • Rodon
  • Reguilon
  • Sessegnon
  • Winksy
  • N'Dombele
  • GLC
  • Moura
GOES...loan deal
  • Devine
  • White
  • Other talents from our academy who won't get a proper chance with us
UNDECIDED
  • Perisic (maybe a modern HC would see him play like with Croatia/Inter)
  • Romero (fucking walking red card)
  • Hojbjerg
  • Danjuma
  • Sonny (past it or just shit season?)
  • Richy (gimme 40-50mil and he's out)

Back
Top Bottom