The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Last night was awful to our chances of top 5 getting CL. Both Woolwich and City out, and one against a German team.

And tonight Hammers will probably be eliminated against a German team.

I turns my stomach, but i guess we have to keep our fingers crossed for a Villa win, and a Hammers turnaround tonight.
Spam are out. Liverpool are going out.
5th isn't enough and tbh, I'm mystified why the media have been acting as though it's in the bag for so long when clearly it was never in the bag.

Stick with me on this...but this is better. Now it's very clear and we can see the test. We win four of the remaining games and we get ECL. We can see who the ones up for the battle are and are therefore useful in the journey we undertake. We'll also see the ones who need ruthlessly culling. There must be no more sacred cows either, if any of the fan favorites come up short bin them.

Agree.

Sell or sign a player to challenge for their spot and don't be afraid to give them the spot over said sacred cow.

If we do we wont get through. We'll have to play our strongest XI. Doing what you suggest is why we havent ever done well in he competition.

That's got nothing to do with why we haven't done well in the competition.

What your advocating is burning out the squad in a potentially 50+ game season.

We need to build a competitive squad for four competitions. Not put the same squad in all four competitions and then moan at them and the manager for not succeeding.

Vicario
Porro - Dragusin - Van de Ven - Udogie
Bergvall - Bissouma - Donley
Kulusevski - Veliz - Johnson
Is more than strong enough to beat shitty little teams from Greece and Austria. It doesn't even have to be that team, Donley and Bergvall can rotate and you add Sarr or Bentancur in there too. I imagine van de Ven won't play each time either. If you don't want to start Veliz, then sure start Son or the new striker we bring in the summer. And tbh, rotating full backs is also crucial, they get through alot of work.

But it's absolutely imperative we make sure of our squad is used in this competition. It's draining.

Taking that competition seriously isn't just about playing your strongest team. It's about having the right mindset and mentality for the competition.

Sure, get to the latter stages and begin to use your stronger eleven. But you need this squad to be match fit and match ready for all situations.

Just go all out in every competition we are involved in to win it. Spurs are in the driest of droughts and to go to a final of a cup competition again would be wonderful for all of us, the team and the club. Shame Levy/ENIC don’t and haven’t seen this..,

If the squad isn't up to the level that they can start ahead of their counterparts in certain games, then we're in much bigger trouble than initially thought and we've got alot of work to do in the summer to even be competitive in these comps.

Starting our strongest eleven in every single game because "we're in a drought" is a sure fire way of making sure we stay in said drought.

Every single team rotates some aspect of their team in these European group fixtures because it's a great way of getting your squad match fit and for it to stay competitive.

I just hope we can use the Europa League groups to blood in the likes of Donley and get good looks at Bergvall, Veliz etc.
We’ve tried that and it always results in us getting knocked out at the group stage (Europe) or first round (domestic cups).

Maybe in the League cup, but other cups we should go strong from the start and try to win the thing.

We’ve tried that and it always results in us getting knocked out at the group stage (Europe) or first round (domestic cups).

Maybe in the League cup, but other cups we should go strong from the start and try to win the thing.

Only when we've basically rotated pretty much the whole eleven (which I only remember twice happening. Redknapps last season and Conte/Nuno). Which I didn't advocate once.

We've rotated plenty of times in the Europa League and got through. Especially in Poch's first season where he used it as a competition to give Harry Kane minutes, which he used to break into the league first eleven.

We've shown in the past that playing the strongest team doesn't guarantee anything either. We played pretty much our strongest team against Gent during the 16/17 season (our best season of the last 30+ years) and got knocked out.

This competition has always been about the teams mentality towards it. Not the personnel on the pitch. Ange needs to drill into whatever eleven he puts out there the importance.

Mixing the likes of Donley or Bergvall in a team consisting of first teamers that make up the eleven this season isn't disrespecting the competition or a recipe for getting knocked out. It's managing the squad and actually showing these guys you're going to get chances, go and take them.

Absolutely content with either scenario, I wouldn't say I'll be happy to finish 5th but if we finish 5th so be it, it's what we deserve and I'm not looking at that as a massive disappointment, would prefer CL though obviously.
I’m the same but we should always strive to be the best we can be. I just don’t get it when I hear people saying not getting champions league is a good thing. Is it fuck because it might be the difference in getting a player in. It’s the same when we are happy to keep players that won’t make us better or even worse hinder us when they play.

Last night was awful to our chances of top 5 getting CL. Both Woolwich and City out, and one against a German team.

And tonight Hammers will probably be eliminated against a German team.

I turns my stomach, but i guess we have to keep our fingers crossed for a Villa win, and a Hammers turnaround tonight.
Hammers might surprise them tonight. They’ve been out celebrating and might think the tie is done. If the hammers score early they could cause them problems.

It's about finding the balance, obviously you don't want to rest your full 11 for the group stage lol but you kind find a place for someone like Donley or Bergvall if we are playing at home to AEK Athens or someone like that.

More games for us next season the better, we'd make much better use of the squad. This season has been a bit shit because we'll end up playing around 42 matches in every comp, next season should be well over 50.

Hammers might surprise them tonight. They’ve been out celebrating and might think the tie is done. If the hammers score early they could cause them problems.

You don't get any points for qualifying. So West Ham just winning 1-0 and going out would be fine. Just means we'd need Leverkusen to get knocked out in the next round though.

Same with Liverpool. Can win 1-0 on the night and they'll get England points in the coefficients.

Issue is, that's where it ends. We'd need Dortmund and Bayern to lose in the next round. Leverkusen too. And Villa to go all the way.

If we end up in the Europa League next season we should be looking to play a strong XI in every game and maybe blooding a couple of the likes of Bergvall, Donley, Veliz etc. As ever it's about finding the balance.

Badly want to see us having a crack at a cup next season and if we take a competition like Europa seriously we would actually have a good chance in it. But we need to respect other teams by playing good players.

Europa league will be a good watch if we get it if you look and most the leagues around Europe some top teams are going to be in it and some lovely places to play where not been before

Stick with me on this...but this is better. Now it's very clear and we can see the test. We win four of the remaining games and we get ECL. We can see who the ones up for the battle are and are therefore useful in the journey we undertake. We'll also see the ones who need ruthlessly culling. There must be no more sacred cows either, if any of the fan favorites come up short bin them.

100%

Let's see how much the players and which ones want that champions league qualifying bonus now...

With Woolwich and Man City going out last night and likely Liverpool and West Ham going out tonight will mean Italy and Germany will get 2 of the extra Champions League places next year. A third for Spain probably so where does the 4th go?

That's got nothing to do with why we haven't done well in the competition.

What your advocating is burning out the squad in a potentially 50+ game season.

We need to build a competitive squad for four competitions. Not put the same squad in all four competitions and then moan at them and the manager for not succeeding.

Vicario
Porro - Dragusin - Van de Ven - Udogie
Bergvall - Bissouma - Donley
Kulusevski - Veliz - Johnson
Is more than strong enough to beat shitty little teams from Greece and Austria. It doesn't even have to be that team, Donley and Bergvall can rotate and you add Sarr or Bentancur in there too. I imagine van de Ven won't play each time either. If you don't want to start Veliz, then sure start Son or the new striker we bring in the summer. And tbh, rotating full backs is also crucial, they get through alot of work.

But it's absolutely imperative we make sure of our squad is used in this competition. It's draining.

Taking that competition seriously isn't just about playing your strongest team. It's about having the right mindset and mentality for the competition.

Sure, get to the latter stages and begin to use your stronger eleven. But you need this squad to be match fit and match ready for all situations.

We tried rotating before and we couldnt win a game. Son and kane always had to come on. I'm not going to go through all the games. We all remember them. The second string is never good enough.

We tried rotating before and we couldnt win a game. Son and kane always had to come on. I'm not going to go through all the games. We all remember them. The second string is never good enough.

I blame that on poor recruitment though, our squad planning has been a bit shit over the years let's be real.

Back
Top Bottom