The Race For 7th

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This table says a lot about Daniel Levy’s stewardship more than anything else. 6 out of 11.

And I see the “miracle” nuno / conte dual manager season is in there too.

And people doubt him.

My chairman!! :levywhoa: :levywhoa: :levywhoa:
It also says it's dumb as it's set 26 games into a 38 game season.
It was 2.6ppg after 10 games, so why not use that? Then the pro-Enic brigade can all touch themselves.
Or let's go and lose the next 12 games and drop down to 1.3ppg so we can rip even more into ENIC Era Spurs.

I think for 4th we have to win, for 5th place yeah a draw is fine.

I think we haven’t won a single away game against a top half side this season and we have 5 of those in our run in. With Woolwich and City at home as well, we have really tough games.
Drew away to Arse and City and played very well in both. Drew away to United, didn't play brilliantly but overall the better team.
Yet to play Liverpool, Villa, Spam or Newcastle away yet.
So in actual fact, we've played the (current) top 10 away - P5 W0 D3 L2
Could be better but could also be much worse.

Given the thread title, relevant to report that Spurs are in 5th place with 50 points and :

- 8 points ahead of 7th placed Wham with a game in hand on them too
- 10 points ahead of 8th placed Newcastle with a game in hand on them too.

So with a game in hand on both, with 11 games left for both, its getting to be too tight for Spurs to be competing for 7th !

We are also 6 points clear of 6th placed ManU with a game in hand, which is a decent position to be in !

Looking upwards :

Villa are only 5 points ahead in 4th place, and we have a game in hand on them.
Woolwich are only 8 points ahead in 3rd place.

So 4th is still very possible, but 3rd might be a stretch.

Given the sentiment at the time the thread was started of aiming for 7th and the average score (given by village idiots admittedly !) for last summer window of 4/10 we are nicely ahead of plan !

Just need to get back to scoring goals and conceding very few if any !
We have 5th best defence and 6th best attack so I suppose we are where we should be in 5th.
Interesting couple of weeks with all the euro competitions down to last 8 at the end of next week. The extra CL place will be a lot clearer by then.
Confident we can take Villa on, we just have to cut out the stupid mistakes giving goals away.

I think we'll finish 5th, and I don't expect anything from VP at the weekend. My pre-season thought was 6th-8th - I assumed more from the red mancs, barcodes and fascists, and Brighton to a degree.

Fwiw, I think the title will be won by either the goons or the scousers, which in real terms amounts to which hole would I rather you take me up. Blue mancs 3rd - I would rather them win it as I care not for what they win now, given they've had the riches of whoever.

In various threads I see a lot of 'what ifs' and 'but this and that'. I think you can apply those terms to most teams. To have expected us to seriously compete with the top 3 in Ange's first season was, with respect to those of you who thought it possible, naïve and then some. We are still someway off that level, and whilst I love the way we played at the start of the season, I don't ever that's sustainable for a serious challenge - we don't have the 2-players-per-position man city had when they were winning in style. We're not yet at the 1-player-per-position level.

Happy with 5th, with the caveat that Villa are this season's joker-in-the-pack.

We seem to have the mindset that we are not doing too well lately.
Spurs last 10 games….W6. D2..L2…….20pts
Villa. W5. D2. L3…….17 pts.
Villa fixtures include 2 v Sheffield Utd and one v Burnley. Home draw with sheff and last min home win over Burnley. Lost at home to Newcastle, Man U and Chelsea (Cup). Just got past Luton on Saturday.
Villa are not that good, if we turn up we win.
Also looking at Villa financial results out today , lost 119m 22/23. CL money(if it happens) will not be in their figures for 23/24. They won’t be that much inside FFP.
There have been rumours of a big sale in the summer, might be a bit if truth in that. They have sold a few of their younger players, all HG, which helps the profit. Chukwumeka, Aaron Ramsey and Cam Archer. All for decent money.
Meanwhile we are just counting the pound notes. I noted their revenue to be only 217m. About 300 behind us.

It was 2.6ppg after 10 games, so why not use that? Then the pro-Enic brigade can all touch themselves.

Wasn’t it our best ever start since the double winning season? Hail Levy!!

This ten games “home alone” box should be on sale in the club shop.
Posh-Wanker-Wank-Sock-Gift-Ideal-Present-for.webp

Villa fixtures include 2 v Sheffield Utd and one v Burnley. Home draw with sheff and last min home win over Burnley. Lost at home to Newcastle, Man U and Chelsea (Cup). Just got past Luton on Saturday.
Also looking at Villa financial results out today , lost 119m 22/23. CL money(if it happens) will not be in their figures for 23/24. They won’t be that much inside FFP.
There have been rumours of a big sale in the summer, might be a bit if truth in that. They have sold a few of their younger players, all HG, which helps the profit. Chukwumeka, Aaron Ramsey and Cam Archer. All for decent money.
Meanwhile we are just counting the pound notes. I noted their revenue to be only 217m. About 300 behind us.

Swings and round abouts. You've done last 10
Last 5 Villa have taken 4 wins and a loss for 12 whereas we have taken 10 points

The next 5 are interesting.
Villa have us, Spam away, Wolves at home, City away and Brentford at home
We have Villa, Fulham (A) Luton (H) Spam (A) & Forest (H)

I would say that if we beat Villa, our next 4 games are marginally kinder than theirs.
Plus the game in hand.
Plus the fact they have jollies across Europe coming up.

We just have to keep all our key players fit and sort out our tepid slow build up play.

Last 5 Villa have taken 4 wins and a loss for 12 whereas we have taken 10 points
I'm not overwhelmed by those 5:

27. Round
LutonAston Villa2:3 (0:2, 2:1)details02.03.2024
26. RoundAston VillaNottingham4:2 (3:1, 1:1)details24.02.2024
25. RoundFulhamAston Villa1:2 (0:1, 1:1)details17.02.2024
24. RoundAston VillaManchester Utd1:2 (0:1, 1:1)details11.02.2024
23. RoundSheffield UtdAston Villa0:5 (0:4, 0:1)details03.02.2024

Wins over Sheff Utd (woohoo), Forest (woohoo) and a last min winner at Luton when they were being battered.

Fulham had the better of a 1-2 loss.

Bit meh really.

27. Round

Wins over Sheff Utd (woohoo), Forest (woohoo) and a last min winner at Luton when they were being battered.

Bit meh really.

Whereas.....
We laboured to wins aginst Brenford and Brighton, drew with Everton and looked like we were playing for a 0-0 against Palace for over an hour and lost at home to 10th placed Wolves.
No argument that Villa's results were nothing special, but let's not pretend we're battering teams week after week.

Whereas.....
We laboured to wins aginst Brenford and Brighton, drew with Everton and looked like we were playing for a 0-0 against Palace for over an hour and lost at home to 10th placed Wolves.
No argument that Villa's results were nothing special, but let's not pretend we're battering teams week after week.
See how they look after Ajax away Thurs.

They've got injuries, played many more games than us

Also worth noting that over those 10 game, Woolwich only have 2 points more than us. And they're considered the form team

27. Round

Bit meh really.

Conceding 5 in their last 3 against Luton, Forest & Fulham bodes well.

They were pretty crap for roughly 60mins of the Luton game..... Luton were dominant.

Drew away to Arse and City and played very well in both. Drew away to United, didn't play brilliantly but overall the better team.
Yet to play Liverpool, Villa, Spam or Newcastle away yet.
So in actual fact, we've played the (current) top 10 away - P5 W0 D3 L2
Could be better but could also be much worse.

Well yeah it could be worse. But because we’ve cocked up so many home games against lower teams we are going to have to notch a couple of away wins. There just aren’t enough “easy” games left for us to get away with not beating anyone decent away from home.

Back
Top Bottom