The effects of growing as a club: Spurs' becoming less Brittish

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

the way i see the problem, not necessarily in order:
1)the top national league is not under control of the national FA.
2)We don't need a successful England team to have full houses at a lot of clubs.
3)The EU employment laws
4)The inability of our clubs to have a cheeky gentlemens agreement over non english players (connected to 4. Most Italian sides, for example, seem to have plenty of italian players)
5)Early age coaching not up to scratch

The thing is, points 1-4 can be eliminated by sorting out point 5. If The FA's of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland got together they could sort out the issues easily.
Standardised coaching across the board, free coaching courses for trainee teachers, and a concentrated effort into showing the benefits of playing football well.

If our academy was gash i'd be worried but we've got a lot of potential coming through to supplement the signings and the signings should help the development of the potential.

The thing is, points 1-4 can be eliminated by sorting out point 5. If The FA's of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland got together they could sort out the issues easily.
Standardised coaching across the board, free coaching courses for trainee teachers, and a concentrated effort into showing the benefits of playing football well.
I would like to think so, Im just not so sure.
For me, number 1 is a real issue, because the FA cant really do owt about anything in the Premier League

I would like to think so, Im just not so sure.
For me, number 1 is a real issue, because the FA cant really do owt about anything in the Premier League

They don't need to really, there is already the Home grown rule (which is also tied into UEFA afaik.) All the FA need to do is ensure that the quality of players is there, if they are good enough they will get selected by premier league sides.

I'm British, and to be honest it does get to me a bit. I don't like it, but at the same time I think the problem is clubs charging massive overs for British talent. If British players weren't so expensive then the good ones would get more playing time. Look at someone like Rodwell at City. Even Jones and Smalling at United. These are players with huge potential who should be playing week in week out for the good of English football. It's not the club's fault either mind, big price tags have only been strengthened by the FA's conduct.

But you could write paragraphs on this. In short, it's not our fault, it's not other clubs' fault, not even the players' fault. I lay the blame solely at the feet of the FA.

British children are now totally used to the fact that the country has an immense influx of immigrants who are dedicated to improving their lives, by striving to be better than their circumstances. British children are being bred by lazy arrogant parents who do nothing to promote the same ethic and mentality in their kids, and as a consequence - they go back to their bedrooms with their laptops and their media boxes and their online gaming, and live out their sad existence doing fuck all - but moaning about the state of the country.
The parents need to kick the idle bastards out of the door and make them play in the streets and in the parks.

The great British footballers of the 60s and 70s were the poor kids whose entertainment after school was a street kickabout, trying to control a bald tennis ball. Even for me it was football, some more football and then a thick ear for playing football when i should be doing homework or going to bed.

As the immigrant population becomes wealthy and secure, their kids will fall into the same trap.

Britain needs to educate its parents, to start encouraging their kids to get off their fat pampered arses, and start finding some physical recreation - instead of vegetating in front of a TV or PC monitor.

Nationalism is something I would eradicate altogether if I had magic buttons. I'm always somewhat bamboozled by the passion, and wayward sentiment offered to imagined boundaries.

In short I support Spurs, not England's / Britain's Spurs

@ Streaky Bacon Streaky Bacon I think the point of the OP and similar conversations is that it is to the detriment of English football having so many foreigners.

Let's polarise the conversation a bit and look at Scotland ("hadaway and shite ya wee rag bastad" I hear @ AberdeenYid AberdeenYid shout... I promise to be gentle).

Scottish teams have spent years not just buying abroad, but third rate Europeans at that. Swelling their ranks with players that really don't warrant neglecting their own academies. The standard has dropped so far that Scotland not only has barely any talent in country, they don't export either and it is all because they focus on buying in players from the continent rather than seriously trying to develop... And look at their standard of football now. I'd rather watch Belgian, Portugeuse, Russian, Croatian or Ukranian football than Scottish. It's disgraceful the SFA have allowed it to happen.

If the Premier League starts running out of English players, it won't just be the national team that suffers but the league will suffer as we'll be completely reliant on buying in and we can all see the money being spent in Ligue 1, Bundesliga etc. trying to take viewers and revenue away from us. If the EPL isn't really English, will the interest remain the same?

Anyway, enough of that shit. More interesting is:

Carroll
Townsend
Walker
Naughton
Kane
Fryers

Oldest 23... Not bad really and there are plenty more knocking... So that's this thread done :adegrin:

The starting 11 are an important but small part of the club. The feel of the club will always be British, from the groundsman, tea ladies, to the accountants and youth teams. I wouldn't worry so much.

@ Streaky Bacon Streaky Bacon I think the point of the OP and similar conversations is that it is to the detriment of English football having so many foreigners.

Let's polarise the conversation a bit and look at Scotland ("hadaway and shite ya wee rag bastad" I hear @ AberdeenYid AberdeenYid shout... I promise to be gentle).

Scottish teams have spent years not just buying abroad, but third rate Europeans at that. Swelling their ranks with players that really don't warrant neglecting their own academies. The standard has dropped so far that Scotland not only has barely any talent in country, they don't export either and it is all because they focus on buying in players from the continent rather than seriously trying to develop... And look at their standard of football now. I'd rather watch Belgian, Portugeuse, Russian, Croatian or Ukranian football than Scottish. It's disgraceful the SFA have allowed it to happen.

If the Premier League starts running out of English players, it won't just be the national team that suffers but the league will suffer as we'll be completely reliant on buying in and we can all see the money being spent in Ligue 1, Bundesliga etc. trying to take viewers and revenue away from us. If the EPL isn't really English, will the interest remain the same?

Anyway, enough of that shit. More interesting is:

Carroll
Townsend
Walker
Naughton
Kane
Fryers

Oldest 23... Not bad really and there are plenty more knocking... So that's this thread done :adegrin:
Imo Scottish football is actually improving now that it's gone to shit financially. You see players like Mays, Mackay-Stevens etc getting a lot of game time.

'Soccernomics' is a good read if your into this stuff, by simon kuper.

I really like the idea that we're trying to bring in players from the youth or at the very least bring in some talent (be it english or foreign) that goes on to develop at the club. To me, just having 1 player come through that way is more important than having 3 or 4 english players on the pitch who we brought in from other clubs.

Ultimately though I just want to see players who aspire to be part of the club. Sure its a shame that caulker left, but dawson was willing to fight it out when he was 5th choice, whereas caulker wasn't willing to fight it out when he was 4th, hell maybe even 3rd considering kaboul's 'injury problem'.

Imo Scottish football is actually improving now that it's gone to shit financially. You see players like Mays, Mackay-Stevens etc getting a lot of game time.
It's the best thing that could have happened, they were moving in ever decreasing circles. Fresh start is what they need and a refocusing on developing grass roots footy.

@ WookieD WookieD you forgot Rose off your wee list bro...

there's really plenty of English talent still at the club and tbh the only one we've sold there that didn't need shifted was Caulker but if reports are to be believed he wanted a move

@ WookieD WookieD you forgot Rose off your wee list bro...

there's really plenty of English talent still at the club and tbh the only one we've sold there that didn't need shifted was Caulker but if reports are to be believed he wanted a move
Sorry dude, yeah, I was just going off who was on the pitch tonight... It gets better! Stewert seems to be rated by AVB, he's been very close to the first team... And that's not counting the lads at Swindon et al cutting their teeth. It really is exciting times.

Sorry dude, yeah, I was just going off who was on the pitch tonight... It gets better! Stewert seems to be rated by AVB, he's been very close to the first team... And that's not counting the lads at Swindon et al cutting their teeth. It really is exciting times.

yeah our academy is really starting to show the first signs of it's immense promise and great dimension :avblol:

I have mixed feelings about this. I've always been proud to see Spurs names in England teams/squads, and always liked to see 'homegrown' players in our teams, especially compared to that French team down the road. However, the signings we've made will (hopefully!) push us up another level, and I want Spurs to win trophies a lot more than I want England to win the World Cup.

We have nothing to be ashamed of. Tonight we played Carroll, Fryers, Kane - all representing Eng U21 next week, Defoe, Walker, and Towndsend Eng Full next week. Add to that Naughton and Rose and compared to other clubs we fare well.

We have nothing to be ashamed of. Tonight we played Carroll, Fryers, Kane - all representing Eng U21 next week, Defoe, Walker, and Towndsend Eng Full next week. Add to that Naughton and Rose and compared to other clubs we fare well.

Not forgetting Dawson our club captain and Lennon. I think we still have a good core of British if not English players.

Back
Top Bottom