The effects of growing as a club: Spurs' becoming less Brittish

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Remember, you don't have to sell. Thats what makes the limit good. You wouldn't be faced with ridiculous valuations. If you want to make big bux, sell over seas. The player has the right to refuse. Either way the local development would increase and so would the quality of the british brand

We didn't have to sell Bale/Modric/Berbatov etc. but they still went. Don't think it would work mate. The bigger clubs would still be the attraction and players would cause a fuss to get there. It's gone too far and I doubt that it could be clawed back now, players do what they want.

Remember, you don't have to sell. Thats what makes the limit good. You wouldn't be faced with ridiculous valuations. If you want to make big bux, sell over seas. The player has the right to refuse. Either way the local development would increase and so would the quality of the british brand
There comes a point for any player where it is impossible to reuse an offer. 85 million was the price for bale. The rich teams will always be able to buy the best players and if there is a cap, then they'll just be able to buy the best English ones. Besides, having a cap won't make the bad British players better. As long as British youth is poor, the senior ones will be too. Making teams have a cap will just force them to play bad players in the end. They'll just be British.

No cap for for selling to foreign, just buying foreign and proice limit in selling britishbto british, Eg: west ham want naughten. We cant say 100 mill thanks. They offer 10mill, We simply refuse. It isn't perfect but it means better chance to retain british players, instead of looking offshore. there will still be players like david silva if that is the path you want to take but atleast teams can't swy it is becauseb British are too expensive

Last edited:
No cap for for selling to foreign, just buying foreign and proice limit in selling britishbto british, Eg: west ham want naughten. We cant say 100 mill thanks. They offer 10mill, We simply refuse. It isn't perfect but it means better chance to retain british players, instead of looking offshore. there will still be players like david silva if that is the path you want to take but atleast teams can't swy it is becauseb British are too expensive
What if they really needed RB, Naughton was their only adequate option and they already filled their international quota and can't buy anymore internationals? If they offer us 15 million, it would be almost impossible to turn down that much for a player like him. Otherwise, they could get a player like Sebastian Corchia for around 5 million who is younger and will probably be much better than Naughton. Its all about supply and demand. If you put a cap on international players, the demand for English ones will go up, and then their prices. English player prices are already too high as it is anyways.

Look at Swansea for an example of how a cap would kill some teams. They've saved so much by going abroad. If they spent that much on English players, their team would be nowhere near as good as it is now. They got Michu for 1.5 mil, Chico Flores cost them 2.5 mil and is a solid player, Jose Canas was free, Pozuelo looks solid and they got him for less than 500k. If they spent that 5 million on English players, they'd be nowhere near as good. Danny Graham went for that much not too long ago.

Used to give a fuck but then I realised it's not the British players that are playing darts and getting their hair cut on Tottenham high road. The likes of Sandro and Benny are easier to relate to as a supporter.

Huddlestone or Sandro? I know which one I have more respect for. Simple answer get better. The over all blame of lack of decent British players starts when they are kids and are told 'if in doubt boot it out, kick him into next week etc' then said parents shouting a load of bollocks on the sidelines undermining the coach with their drivel. Then the lack of technique training and explanation of why kids make mistakes and what they can do to improve.....After all that then I blame UK coaches and their archaic approach. This was rife when I was growing up and have pretty much re learnt everything I knew when I got into my twenties learning from the continental and was a much better player for it.

Back
Top Bottom