The Blame Game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who shoulders the blame?

• Total voters

Pairsy1882

Super Jan's Nan
I am interested to know where everyone thinks the blame lies for our failings this season, please not that I am not calling the season a failure because I actually think we are right about where we should be.

Does the blame lie with Levy, for his reluctance to spend money on the players that our original manager, this season (AVB), wanted, for sacking AVB and hiring Sherwood?

Is it Baldini's fault for going after the wrong players and catering to Levy's desire for young players who he can sell on for a profit?

Is it AVB's fault for playing drab a dreary football and not turning up against the big teams, for isolating Ade and Benny?

Is it down to Sherwood, for his tactical incompetence, for sitting in the stand and giving questionable post match interviews?

Or is it simply a case of the players not turning up for the majority of our games this season.

More controversially is it that fans fault for having unrealistic expectations and for not getting behind the players at The Lane.

Perhaps it is a combination of all of them, what do you think?

Players. I was watching them in the tunnel before the game and I shouted at the tele "Show some fucking passion then you cunts"

I said to my brother that we'd lost the game before a ball had been kicked and I was bloody right.

I am interested to know where everyone thinks the blame lies for our failings this season, please not that I am not calling the season a failure because I actually think we are right about where we should be.

Does the blame lie with Levy, for his reluctance to spend money on the players that our original manager, this season (AVB), wanted, for sacking AVB and hiring Sherwood?

Is it Baldini's fault for going after the wrong players and catering to Levy's desire for young players who he can sell on for a profit?

Is it AVB's fault for playing drab a dreary football and not turning up against the big teams, for isolating Ade and Benny?

Is it down to Sherwood, for his tactical incompetence, for sitting in the stand and giving questionable post match interviews?

Or is it simply a case of the players not turning up for the majority of our games this season.

More controversially is it that fans fault for having unrealistic expectations and for not getting behind the players at The Lane.

Perhaps it is a combination of all of them, what do you think?

There's no one person to blame. No one of those selections has been good. There's no single fault which makes it even more difficult to fix.

Everyone has short memories if we're to lay any blame at Baldini's door. He was the guy who made our summer effective, getting deals done sharply, where as Levy leaves until last minute. Weather the players were correct or not (I still think most are good), them not bedding in was out of his control.

We thought they were good then, a combination of settlement issues, poor team performance and mismanagement have hampered their development.

*edit* I voted Levy as I feel he pushed AVB too soon and deliberately hampered Harry's last window not backing him financially.

Everyone has short memories if we're to lay any blame at Baldini's door. He was the guy who made our summer effective, getting deals done sharply, where as Levy leaves until last minute. Weather the players were correct or not (I still think most are good), them not bedding in was out of his control.

We thought they were good then, a combination of settlement issues, poor team performance and mismanagement have hampered their development.

I am only playing devil's advocate but surely it would have been better if we had have signed the players that AVB wanted, see Moutinho, Hulk, Damaio, rather than the players that we did. Perhaps Baldini is partly to blame for that failing.

Source...

Even AVB himself said at the Zenit unveiling that it was a contractual breach. CBA looking for it, shouldn't need to as anyone who keeps themselves unbiased and well informed should know that he wouldn't have been sacked for two bad games

Perhaps not but do you think that all of those people are to blame, what is the underlying issue?

Lack of experience I'd say. Managers, players, DOF, and we all know Levy isn't exactly one to keep his head in a tense situation. No one to pull us up by the scruff of the neck when things have gone wrong.

We panicked in the board room when they knew Bale was going. They panic on the field whenever anything goes wrong. No one has the experience to settle everyone down and right the ship.

Even AVB himself said at the Zenit unveiling that it was a contractual breach. CBA looking for it, shouldn't need to as anyone who keeps themselves unbiased and well informed should know that he wouldn't have been sacked for two bad games

I hadn't seen that, I tend not to pay too much attention to what our former managers are doing. The truth is, none of us know for certain what went on, despite what AVB has said. Would he really readily admit that he was sacked, again?

I am only playing devil's advocate but surely it would have been better if we had have signed the players that AVB wanted, see Moutinho, Hulk, Damaio, rather than the players that we did. Perhaps Baldini is partly to blame for that failing.
True, but:

We were competing with PSG for Moutinho (a battle we'd have never won)
Hulk - don't remember much about this one
Damaio - that was destined to never happen
William - can't compete with Chelsea's money
Villa - this was a fuck up, but apparently down to Levy haggling over 500k?

See your point though

Players - for being useless emotionless passionless cunts
Levy - for hiring Sherwood when he blatantly needs to get some managerial experience first
Sherwood - for agreeing to take the job (although I suppose I can't really blame him) when he deep down knows he hasnt got the skill for it
Fans - some sections of the fanbase for not giving certain people a chance from the get go
Your mum.

Lack of experience I'd say. Managers, players, DOF, and we all know Levy isn't exactly one to keep his head in a tense situation. No one to pull us up by the scruff of the neck when things have gone wrong.

We panicked in the board room when they knew Bale was going. They panic on the field whenever anything goes wrong. No one has the experience to settle everyone down and right the ship.

What would you do differently next season? New manager? Stick to buying young prospects or bring in some older heads?

Back
Top Bottom