Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Thats funny. All the Levy apologists have been telling us for years to be patient.
The new stadium would give us the revenue to compete for the best players,, they said.
Now your'e saying it's gonna hinder us?

It clearly will to some degree as we still have to pay back the loans. Did you forget how long Woolwich had to juggle sales with purchases for before they paid off their gaff?

It'll make a big difference now we are finally in our new place but we still have debt levels to pay John

It clearly will to some degree as we still have to pay back the loans. Did you forget how long Woolwich had to juggle sales with purchases for before they paid off their gaff?

It'll make a big difference now we are finally in our new place but we still have debt levels to pay John
Tbf the stadium itself really doesn't mean we're going to move up into the top tier. Sure it will give us the platform to do so, but there is still the need for the ownership to actually invest the new found wealth and revenue into the playing staff. Whether ENIC actually do this remains to be seen.

You mention Woolwich. When they moved into their new place they were promised the world yet look at the state of them now, simply because their owners refuse to put any real tangible money into the playing staff.

Now of course our case may very well be different and perhaps ENIC will use this base to bring the best possible talent to the club and produce the best on field team possible. But I think fans putting this down as a certainty to happen just because we've moved into a bigger stadium need to tread carefully seeing as there is really no hard evidence at all of this being ENICs style in neigh on 20 years of ownership now.

Now of course our case may very well be different and perhaps ENIC will use this base to bring the best possible talent to the club and produce the best on field team possible. But I think fans putting this down as a certainty to happen just because we've moved into a bigger stadium need to tread carefully seeing as there is really no hard evidence at all of this being ENICs style in neigh on 20 years of ownership now.
That is, and always has been the keyword, and with the exception of last season, when nobody but the club's transfer group know why we didn't sign anyone (and I maintain, if Pochettino was such an innocent victim in that window, tricked and lied to by Daniel Dastardly, then why didn't he walk*), I've never seen anything else. It's just some clueless fuckers on this site judge this by comparing Joe Lewis personal wealth to the russians, and therefore why hasn't he spent the same money. Ignoring that it's all been loans.and whatever the source, no club should be borrowing money to pay players and agents . It's quite proper that we don't.( Personally, this is what I think people mean with the much derided "doing it the right way".

*The only answer anyone has ever made to that question that I've seen is "for the money". In which they must thing he's only for the cash, and therefore shouldn't be upset if he does go . Cos if he goes, it'll be for more money

That is, and always has been the keyword, and with the exception of last season, when nobody but the club's transfer group know why we didn't sign anyone (and I maintain, if Pochettino was such an innocent victim in that window, tricked and lied to by Daniel Dastardly, then why didn't he walk*), I've never seen anything else. It's just some clueless fuckers on this site judge this by comparing Joe Lewis personal wealth to the russians, and therefore why hasn't he spent the same money. Ignoring that it's all been loans.and whatever the source, no club should be borrowing money to pay players and agents . It's quite proper that we don't.( Personally, this is what I think people mean with the much derided "doing it the right way".

*The only answer anyone has ever made to that question that I've seen is "for the money". In which they must thing he's only for the cash, and therefore shouldn't be upset if he does go . Cos if he goes, it'll be for more money
I've personally never seen someone claim Poch stayed for the money, but I'm open to correction.

I don't think resigning was ever in his head last Summer, despite how let down he may or may not have felt, simply because he had just signed a new deal, is a man of his word and has built up such a rapport with the fan base(and on a personal level with Daniel Levy quite clearly) that there was never any chance of him walking.

However there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we fail to back him and land his major targets once again this Summer, next season will very likely be his last.

You mention Woolwich. When they moved into their new place they were promised the world yet look at the state of them now, simply because their owners refuse to put any real tangible money into the playing staff.

Ozil, Aubamyang, Lacazette, Sanchez, Mkhyterian, Xhaka, Mustafi were all rather significant investments.

I've personally never seen someone claim Poch stayed for the money, but I'm open to correction.

I don't think resigning was ever in his head last Summer, despite how let down he may or may not have felt, simply because he had just signed a new deal, is a man of his word and has built up such a rapport with the fan base(and on a personal level with Daniel Levy quite clearly) that there was never any chance of him walking.

However there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we fail to back him and land his major targets once again this Summer, next season will very likely be his last.
"Fail to back him"

We have a transfer committee. This is common knowledge and has been openly admitted by the club. The members of this committee are Daniel Levy, John McDermott, Pochettino and Steve Hitchen

It would, in my opinion, be incredibly naive and bordering on moronic, to believe that this committee do not decide on the players, the maximum fee to be bid, and what the salary offered should be (within a range including bonus structure etc) If Pochettino gels we ain't going for his main targets, he gets plenty of input on who we do sign.

Can we shut up for once about the soding stadium.

How does a club on 350m turnover (Juve)

Afford Ronaldo for 100m plus his salary. Then go and buy De Ligt for 70m. Ramsey on stupdi wages and be in for Ndombele and Pogba?
Because they make you an offer you cannot refuse!

Can we shut up for once about the soding stadium.

How does a club on 350m turnover (Juve)

Afford Ronaldo for 100m plus his salary. Then go and buy De Ligt for 70m. Ramsey on stupdi wages and be in for Ndombele and Pogba?
If you want a genuine answer one thing is our Debt to value ratio of 37% compared to Juve's 9%.

"Fail to back him"

We have a transfer committee. This is common knowledge and has been openly admitted by the club. The members of this committee are Daniel Levy, John McDermott, Pochettino and Steve Hitchen

It would, in my opinion, be incredibly naive and bordering on moronic, to believe that this committee do not decide on the players, the maximum fee to be bid, and what the salary offered should be (within a range including bonus structure etc) If Pochettino gels we ain't going for his main targets, he gets plenty of input on who we do sign.
Committee ...lol . What world do you live in?

So if poch and the others think we should get NDombele for 70million they can outvote Levy 3 against 1 and the transfer goes through? Or is it Levy that will decide if he wants to spend the money or not. The Committee can merely say who we should get, in the end its Levy that chooses to back or not to back the manager as he is the one in control of the money not the other 3.

If you want a genuine answer one thing is our Debt to value ratio of 37% compared to Juve's 9%.

Thats a good answer.

Another way of looking at it is your star player should get no more than 3% of turnover. Which is 10.5m a year. 210k a week, which sounds about right. Thats what we pay Kane.

So how do they afford Ronaldo on 28m a year or whatever. Then Ramsey on what 15m a year. Plus all the others.

They had 65% wages to turnover before Ronaldo.
DpsTPjpWsAI2RDu.jpg:large

"Fail to back him"

Well firstly, I think Pochettino or McDermott or Hichen have little to no say in the monetary side of things and I'm pretty sure Poch has even alluded to this before. And why would they in fairness? What do they know about economics? Levy is in charge of negotiating and finances.

And secondly, if things are so tickety boo within this committee and our recruitment, as you seem hell bent on suggesting, what is your reasoning as to why Poch has continuously been harping on in the last year or so about how we need to start "acting differently" and "we need to stop thinking we can be so clever" with regard to how we operate in the market?

Well firstly, I think Pochettino or McDermott or Hichen have little to no say in the monetary side of things and I'm pretty sure Poch has even alluded to this before. And why would they in fairness? What do they know about economics? Levy is in charge of negotiating and finances.

And secondly, if things are so tickety boo within this committee and our recruitment, as you seem hell bent on suggesting, what is your reasoning as to why Poch has continuously been harping on in the last year or so about how we need to start "acting differently" and "we need to stop thinking we can be so clever" with regard to how we operate in the market?

Continuously been harping on? Just because you read the same interview more than once, doesn't mean he's been harping on.
Of course Poch wants us to be more decisive, and fortunately, due to being so clever in previous years, we're now in a position to act differently.

Committee ...lol . What world do you live in?

So if poch and the others think we should get NDombele for 70million they can outvote Levy 3 against 1 and the transfer goes through? Or is it Levy that will decide if he wants to spend the money or not. The Committee can merely say who we should get, in the end its Levy that chooses to back or not to back the manager as he is the one in control of the money not the other 3.
And you think they don't discuss it? You think Levy doesn't go into negotiation with out an idea of what his manager thinks a player is worth?

Thats a good answer.

Another way of looking at it is your star player should get no more than 3% of turnover. Which is 10.5m a year. 210k a week, which sounds about right. Thats what we pay Kane.

So how do they afford Ronaldo on 28m a year or whatever. Then Ramsey on what 15m a year. Plus all the others.

They had 65% wages to turnover before Ronaldo.
DpsTPjpWsAI2RDu.jpg:large
Ronaldo is a player and part of their marketing move (along with changing the badge and home kit from stripes) - its one where "shirt sales will pay for him" is somewhat true. Not shirt sales but increased sponsorship and exposure in their key growth market of Asia and US. They are publically traded and their share price jumped up when they bought him more than he cost.

This is not a policy we could or would easily replicate.

I think we will spend money this year so the conversation at the end of this window may have a different slant.

Continuously been harping on? Just because you read the same interview more than once, doesn't mean he's been harping on.
Of course Poch wants us to be more decisive, and fortunately, due to being so clever in previous years, we're now in a position to act differently.
Doesn't change the point he was making though, does it?

Also I'm not disputing the fact that we're now in a better position to act differently, I'm disputing the consensus among some on here that it's an absolute guarantee that we will.

And you think they don't discuss it? You think Levy doesn't go into negotiation with out an idea of what his manager thinks a player is worth?
A guess based upon player quotes would suggest we wanted Grealish at 15-20 M when the true cost went up to 40M Levy went back to Poch and we then went after De Jong for 50-55M. Poch would have been told of costs / values and his input is if he thinks the players are worth it.

Back
Top Bottom