Swiss Agro or ungracious hosts

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Went to the game this evening with my lad in the east lower and some of season tickets had given up their allocation.

Next to us was a small group of Basel fans. One of their number got very excited with their excellent start and when they scored the second he jumped up.

Cue pandimioum from the spurs fans and a successfull campaign to get the stewards to throw them out. They hasn't behaved badly just revealed their affiliation.

Now I have followed spurs across Europe and often got tickets in the general stands. Even though I have chanted for spurs I always been treated with sheepish smiles and post match handshake.

These fans weren't chavski or goons taking the piss. I must admit I fealt that some of the spurs fans acted like Gits a bit of leeway for foreign guests as long as they don't go overboard should be fine. What do you lot reckon

Went to the game this evening with my lad in the east lower and some of season tickets had given up their allocation.

Next to us was a small group of Basel fans. One of their number got very excited with their excellent start and when they scored the second he jumped up.

Cue pandimioum from the spurs fans and a successfull campaign to get the stewards to throw them out. They hasn't behaved badly just revealed their affiliation.

Now I have followed spurs across Europe and often got tickets in the general stands. Even though I have chanted for spurs I always been treated with sheepish smiles and post match handshake.

These fans weren't chavski or goons taking the piss. I must admit I fealt that some of the spurs fans acted like Gits a bit of leeway for foreign guests as long as they don't go overboard should be fine. What do you lot reckon

Pretty poor IMO but I can understand the frustration. Still a bit low brow though.

Just wet them afterwards if we lose.

Completely agree. Spurs fans calling the stewards to kick them out as well seems a bit hypercritical. I'm sure a similar number of spurs fans will be in the Basel end next week but will probably be treated well by the home supporters.

If we had sold out White Hart Lane, fair enough, but the attendance was only just over 32,000...

We need to just out-sing them, not get them kicked out after travelling over from Switzerland!

It depends on the situation. Simply clapping the goals should not lead to being thrown out, but..

If you're a guest you should also behave like one. There is a reason why there is an area for the away fans and that is where they can go mental. Sitting with the home fans means that you should keep a lower profile and respect the feelings of the home crowd, it's part of the package of not getting the 'right' tickets and you should not act surprised if home fans respond angrily, we're passionate fans.

If I was sitting in the 'wrong' crowd I would keep a low profile myself.

I was in West Upper (I know) in the corner and there were tonnes of them scattered around being intentionally lairy and antagonistic.

Some bloke a few seats down from firmly but relatively politely told 4 of them in front of him to calm down and show some respect and a bit of a stand off ensued. The stewards intervened and eventually found them seats towards the back which seemed to be full of Basel fans. As they walked off, the last of the 4 laughed right in this guys face and was pushed away and actually fell down some stairs. The stewards then ejected the spurs fan, who was basically defending himself from someone invading his personal space (although he was in no danger).

Appreciate the sentiments of the posts above - I think it's ridiculous when we as home fans are put in the situation not to react. I've been to more away games where I've had to sit in the non-spurs end (due to loyalty points - another issue) and even against Woolwich you show them the respect and don't celebrate brazenly and keep your head down. If I'd behaved like some of them tonight away from home, I'd have expected a slap or worse.

They did outsing us completely tonight - more than any other European opposition (wasn't at Maribor so don't know about them)

The guys next to us were not chanting or mouthing off to spurs fans mearly clamping each other and one sold up

Hardly throw them out behaviour. The way some spurs turned on them was over the top grown men shouting for stewards I was embarrassed for my 8 year old who couldn't understand the fuss

The guys next to us were not chanting or mouthing off to spurs fans mearly clamping each other and one sold up

Hardly throw them out behaviour. The way some spurs turned on them was over the top grown men shouting for stewards I was embarrassed for my 8 year old who couldn't understand the fuss

Sounds like they behaved well then and didn't deserve being thrown out. It's all about celebrating with respect imho.

If you go in oppo ends you either shut up or be mouthy and expect to get a kicking/get thrown out. Group of about 4 of them were in block 30 celebrated when they went 2 up got a couple of pushes and were then taken out by the stewards.

We're not Chelsea.

I am saddened to hear this.
I was at the polish game a few years back where they practically invaded us there was plenty going on in the stands but they held firm and we looked like idiots.

Distressing night all round. I don't like to think that these fans go home thinking we are thugs or cry babies.

As minty says we should have sold out.

interesting to hear the different perspectives and how football fans are handled in the UK, versus how Australian Football (our National game) are handled here. At all games fans openly sit spread out and near opposition fans, however whilst there are specific ends, one of the great things I love about our game is the fact that two fans can openly yell at the game (for the their team) and have banter, then at the end of the match shake hands and say good bye (night) without it becoming a cue for stewards or security to be called.

seems very over the top... why didnt the spurs fans react and start out supporting the basel fans???

The stewards intervened and eventually found them seats towards the back which seemed to be full of Basel fans.

I've seen that a few times now. Anyone know what it is?

A little rectangle at the top of West upper, slightly right of centre (closer to Park Lane) sectioned off by stewards?

Back
Top Bottom