Surfer flag

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mike England and Cyril Knowles are true Spurs legends. They are in my all-time Spurs XI.

I doubt that anyone could name a better centre back or left back to have played for Spurs. They are all-time greats and any flag of this ilk should have them on. I'm afraid whoever designed the flag has a weak grasp on Spurs history.

Also no way should either Villa or Ardilles have bigger font size than Glenn Hoddle, Glenn is one of the biggest Spurs legends ever, far bigger than Ardilles or Villa. He is of course in my all-time XI, neither Villa or Ardilles are. The latter a truly great player BTW, the former is not even in our top 20, though a top bloke and scorer of THAT amazing goal of course. Hoddle though was Spurs through and through, supported us a kid, came through the youth ranks, our finest-ever home-grown player, and better than Ardilles was for Spurs and way better than Villa.

Now opinions obviously vary as to were the best players, but England Knowles and Hoddle being more of a legend than Villa or Ardilles are non-negotiable for me.

Also the idea that we don't have that many brilliant players in our glorious history to make up a flag, is absolutely stunning to me. We have a fantastic, fantastic history of brilliant players. Sometimes I do despair about some of our fans. But if someone doesn't know that England and Knowles are legends that have to be on any such flag, well clearly some 'don't know their history'.

I wonder if they would even know what song that line refers to :)

Last edited:
That is not the finished design, the names are not final and nor are the sizeings. It hasn't even been proof read or anything and is just 1 of seven designs that trust members and contributors will be given the chance to vote on.

Oh and the reason that Freund is on there is because he's actually in the clubs hall of fame - he certainly wouldn't be one of my choices.

Even I, a dumb Yank, know that Cyril fucking Knowles should be on the thing.

Thats really my only qualm. Its a fucking flag not a letter asking to change our colors to red or move to Stratford.

Will it change the atmosphere? No. Will it look cool? Possibly. Its not really that big of an issue.

I'm more concerned with the fact we might be sharing the new ground with a fucking American Football team. Fuck. That.

I'm not a massive fan of the design, not against the idea of a surfer though. Could look good if it's done right.

Mugging off someone for trying to make a positive difference is proper shitty. Don't see any of you coming up with any better ideas.

We don't need a crowd surfing flag. It won't do anything for atmosphere. Yes it may look good on the telly for a couple of minutes before the match if the design is good but what about when we are 60 minutes in to the match and spurs are 0-0 at home to Hull and the Lane is silent....what will we do, get the flag out again?

There are 2 issues the club need to address.

1. The club and it's stewards currently proactively try to sit down fans who stand up and make an atmosphere. It's the most ridiculous policy that needs to be sorted quickly. The club should be actively encouraging fans to stand and up and sing and support the players, not force them to sit down and watch the game quietly. Even our own fucking manager is complaining, why won't somebody at the club realise this? (On top of this the club should be pushing for a safe standing terrace at the new stadium, it would be incredibly short-sighted of Levy if he doesn't do this).

2. A new concession price needs to be introduced for U21's. Back in the 70s and 80s, the terraces would be packed full of 15-25 year olds who would make most of the noise. Now it's packed full of middle aged blokes, the same blokes who were 21 back in the 80s. To think you can be 16 years old, still at fucking school and if you and a few of your mates want to go and watch Spurs West Ham in the PL the minimum you will have to fork out is £48 each. Disgraceful.

One thing I noticed about West Ham's away support a couple of weeks back was just how many young lads there were in the crowd. I was standing in Block 35 right next to them and 18-25 year olds seemed the be the most predominant demographic. I then turned round to look at the average age of the Spurs around me and it looked like all the dad's of the West Ham fans! It's a worrying sign when you think about another 20 years down the line.

Not sure having names on a flag works. Not like anyone will be able to read/see them from a distance.

A quote would be better. Or just the THFC badge.

Not sure having names on a flag works. Not like anyone will be able to read/see them from a distance.

I agree, use one of the Blanchflower or Nicholson quotes.

Maybe the "..about going out to beat the other lot, not waiting for them to die of boredom" quote. AVB might get the hint ;) !

The names would actually be "ghosted" onto a dark blue background so unless you were underneath it or the TV camera focused in very closely you wouldn't be able to see them.

Anything other than a dark blue background (ie white) and it would get filthy really quickly.

Also people need to know this isn't just a surfer and that's it - we (I'm personally not even involved in the atmosphere group) are talking about a whole package of changes designed to build up atmosphere before kick off - music will play a big part of that too.

But there is no perfect recipe, it's going to very much be a case of trial and error and consultation with fans has to play a big part in that. If something doesn't work after 2 or 3 tries then we move on to something else.

1882 will play a massive part on this too and as we continue we'll work with them to find a permanent home within the stadium.

The key goal here is to gain enough momentum and influence that this group is the 1st place the club turn to regarding atmosphere in the new ground BEFORE we move into it.

If it's done properly it won't look forced or contrived and case studies from similar groups up and down the country are being sought

Just put "To Dare is to Do" or "Come on You Spurs" in all caps and that will definitely get the crowd going.

EDIT: of course the flag would need to be really big, similar to size of what chelsea have at their home games

Its typical that no one does anything.....then when someone does, they get slated for it, and then everyone knows how to improve it.

Why didnt anyone come up with the flag idea themselves if you got all these better ideas to put on it?

And flags wont help, nor will cheaper tickets. If people need to be mollycoddled into making noise at the footy, then the issue is beyond repair.

People and times have changed, so unless we bring standing back, and a 1980'/90's mentality to football, its going to get worse.

That, or give the public real football....because in todays game, if you pay 50-70 quid a ticket you are going to be more pissed off when some mercenary on 100 grand a week cant be fucked to stick his leg out, or have a shot.

Its not like before, when you turned up on the door, paid a few quid and pretty much got in everytime. Football used to be a sub culture. Now its like WWF.

Listen to the commentators theses days..everything they say is trying to sell the PL to people in other countries..cringeworthy explanations of the rules, and players etc..

And most fans now reading fucking heat maps and GPS tracking graphs before they decide if their team played well...then they come home, eyes wide and zombie like, get on the computer and type "The stats said we were good/bad".

Fuck football right now to be honest. Its shit, and when some people try and make an effort, they are shot down and called cunts. You wanna slate this idea? Like we all laughed the Scum with their hymn sheets.

Well guess what, The Emirates pisses on WHL today, and their away lot aint too shabby either.

TLDR, I dont give a fuck. And yes, I will be watching from my sofa, on a dodgy Iranian stream tomorrow. Deal with it cunts.

Rant over, for now

Rant over, for now

tumblr_m4czsl2c0J1qb5gkjo1_400.jpg

This thread is one of the problems with our atmosphere at the Lane.

Dont turn your fucking nose up at people trying to make a difference, embrace it. They're trying to do something for our club.

Back
Top Bottom