Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Spurs are not the only club keen on Eze apparently...

Crystal Palace 'slap £60m price tags on Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise' amid interest from Man United, Woolwich and Chelsea... with the Eagles braced for summer bids for star duo​

• Eberechi Eze has been consistently linked with a move away from Crystal Palace
  • Winger Michael Olise is a top transfer target for Manchester United and Woolwich
  • Arne Slot needs to be his own manager. Replacing Jurgen Klopp is an impossible job. Don't try to emulate him - Listen to the It’s All Kicking Off! podcast
By DAVID WOOD

PUBLISHED: 00:40 BST, 26 April 2024 |

Crystal Palace have reportedly warned Premier League rivals they will have to pay over £60million for both Eberechi Eze and Michael Olise.
The Eagles are safe from relegation having secured a club-record 12th season of Premier League football.
But they are braced for summer bids for two of their most productive players, 25-year-old attacking midfielder Eze and winger Olise, 22.

Olise is a top transfer target for Manchester United and Woolwich, while Chelsea attempted to sign the French winger last summer.
Manchester City have a long-standing interest in Eze.
Eze

Not the sexiest name out there but I'd rather we went for Summerville than activating Werner's buy clause. Very little dynamism up front, we were running around in circles against Scum.

15-20m difference in valuation. Rotate with Son at LW and get another striker in.

Last edited:

Seen Doue mentioned a few times in here.

Seems like a young gun with a high ceiling.

I think it probably ends up that we go after Williams to start and then pussy out of a "bidding war" and move for Summerville. I really like Summerville but we need to be honest that he is exactly the type of profile this club has always signed and will likely be 2 seasons away from being the p;layer we need NOW to raise our ceiling. And that's if he makes the steps to get there.

HUGE summer to gauge who this club really wants to be. I'm not optimistic.

Not the sexiest name out there but I'd rather we went for Summerville than activating Wenger's buy cause. Very little dynamism up front, we were running around in circles against Scum.

15-20m difference in valuation. Rotate with Son at LW and get another striker in.
Summerville instead of Werner and another top line forward? That would be ambitious. Will we do it?

Doubt anyone actually believes we will have the budget for that.

Werner is a bit of a litmus test on whether we're serious. Make it permanent then we're not. It would be a typical Tottenham doing a deal because the price is right situation without much thought on the improvement it brings us. He might be ok squad filler, he's done alright but didnt we get Solomon for that. It would still be a £15m hit to the budget and a foreign trained player spot used.

Werner is a bit of a litmus test on whether we're serious. Make it permanent then we're not. It would be a typical Tottenham doing a deal because the price is right situation without much thought on the improvement it brings us. He might be ok squad filler, he's done alright but didnt we get Solomon for that. It would still be a £15m hit to the budget and a foreign trained player spot used.
Absolutely

A serious club wouldn't touch him

We won't be able to resist

Looking more and more like we need someone to sit in front of the defence. Bissouma should have been that guy, but since becoming unwell at AFCON, he’s not been great.

We ship far too many goals, but I’m struggling to think of who could upgrade our back five, so the number six is the place where the money should be spent. Fuck knows who (I don’t watch enough football to have an opinion), but i look at teams built on a Kante or a Rodri and think it’s a rather obvious hole in our plan.

Looking more and more like we need someone to sit in front of the defence. Bissouma should have been that guy, but since becoming unwell at AFCON, he’s not been great.

We ship far too many goals, but I’m struggling to think of who could upgrade our back five, so the number six is the place where the money should be spent. Fuck knows who (I don’t watch enough football to have an opinion), but i look at teams built on a Kante or a Rodri and think it’s a rather obvious hole in our plan.

Annoyingly, we've only conceded 31 goals from open play all season.

With 12 of those coming when we played Emerson and Davies as a centre back pairing.

Incredibly frustrating with regards to set pieces.

Wenger's buy cause
i

Annoyingly, we've only conceded 31 goals from open play all season.

With 12 of those coming when we played Emerson and Davies as a centre back pairing.

Incredibly frustrating with regards to set pieces.
Seems like the number is a lot higher to be honest (but that’s still a goal a game). We just seem loose there. Do we even give up those set pieces in the first place with a more solid midfield? First goal yesterday started with tippy tappy in our own box and would a better number six have got us up the field easier? Would he have helped cover the ball through for the second? Sounding like a superhuman, but maybe possible?

Granted, we do need a bit of cash spent up front too though.

Seems like the number is a lot higher to be honest (but that’s still a goal a game). We just seem loose there. Do we even give up those set pieces in the first place with a more solid midfield? First goal yesterday started with tippy tappy in our own box and would a better number six have got us up the field easier? Would he have helped cover the ball through for the second? Sounding like a superhuman, but maybe possible?

Granted, we do need a bit of cash spent up front too though.

We'd limit the chances teams have against us by being able to keep the ball and keeping the ball further from our goal.

When you've got Johnson, who isn't the best technically or Werner who again likes to beat his man and waste a chance or Son up to who can't hold the ball up, the ball is always going to come back towards us and because we play high, teams can counter.

Watch Woolwich and City. They're as high as us. But they're offence is a lot more comfortable in possession and usually limit their opponents chances because of it. Every now and then, a ball over the top will cause those teams problems but it's alot less over the course of 90 minutes than ours.

The better our attackers, the more fear our opponents have, the more chances we'd create, the less chances we'd concede.

Our front three has been a problem all season. Probably just as much as set pieces over the course tbh.

Back
Top Bottom