Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Both Watkins and Bowen were gettable, and more than good enough to have been assets for us. Of course there were reasons and barriers but...

We got to somehow improve not just who we get buy but also how well we develop them once they join..

Gonna a sign off and leave this as where I'm at in terms of a good window:

Out:
Periphery guys (Tanguy, Rodon, Sess etc all the loan rangers)
Skipp
GLC
Hojberg
Don't sign Werner
One of Son or Richy

Maybe OUT
Bentancur
Kulusevski

IN
Williams
Zirkzee
Eze
Onana (or similar)
Philogene or Nusa or Bardgji
FB option
GK

Tottenham Transfer News: Spurs join Liverpool in Bilal El Khannouss race

Tottenham Hotspur are keen on signing the KRC Genk midfielder Bilal El Khannouss.

The highly-rated midfielder has been linked with clubs like Liverpool as well, and it will be interesting to see where he ends up this summer.

Go Away Garbage GIF by ZDF heute-show

Levy worried that someone is stealing his transfer target
@Ed Love the Bin Gif. Truth is the Bin is Empty.

@Parhfinder. Amazing how all these players get linked with clubs that never buy them. Just another ploy of Levy. No name players that are potential 'Masterclass' buys. If the Gamble pays off, Great. If the Gamble doesn't work out, he can always remind Fans.....but Liverpool also wanted him.

Both Watkins and Bowen were gettable, and more than good enough to have been assets for us. Of course there were reasons and barriers but...

We got to somehow improve not just who we get buy but also how well we develop them once they join..
Nobody here was crying out for Bowen when he was at Hull and the same with Watkins when he was at Brentford

Come the start of the season, if the club hasn’t invested heavily in improving the first team, fans really need to start reevaluating how they spend their weekends. ENIC have upped the prices across the board, charging a premium for a not-so premium product (the actual team). They’re expecting fans to pay almost the most out of any football club in Europe for the pleasure of watching a team that gets battered 4-0 by Fulham and Newcastle. (I said wolves because I’m an idiot and I’m also an idiot because we lost 3-0 to Fulham not 4-0. But we did lose to Wolves.

I won’t be wasting any more of my time supporting a club ran by people who value profit margins over silverware. They’ve got til mid-August. Otherwise I’m doneski.

Last edited:
They’re expecting fans to pay almost the most out of any football club in Europe for the pleasure of watching a team that gets battered 4-0 by Wolves

Didn't happen, fella.

and Newcastle.

Yes NC battered us; but we battered them too in the reverse game.

Come the start of the season, if the club hasn’t invested heavily in improving the first team,.......
They’ve got til mid-August. Otherwise I’m doneski.

Are you gonna put a minimum number on this ultimatum?

.......How much is enough?

Didn't happen, fella.

Yes NC battered us; but we battered them too in the reverse game.

Are you gonna put a minimum number on this ultimatum?

.......How much is enough?
Yeah fucked that one up. Got mixed up with Fulham. And got 4-0 mixed up with 3-0. Apart from that. Brain is working perfectly!

Figure wise, I dunno. A high transfer fee doesn’t guarantee a good player. Ndombele is exhibit A.

The ultimatum for me is that they assemble a team that can compete for the title. Like I said, they’re charging top dollar, fans should expect to receive a top product.

Figure wise, I dunno. A high transfer fee doesn’t guarantee a good player. Ndombele is exhibit A.

You said "invest heavily."

The ultimatum for me is that they assemble a team that can compete for the title. Like I said, they’re charging top dollar, fans should expect to receive a top product.

But you're not gonna know how fruitful our summer proves to be in August....... Potentially not even in January. (Also see your Exhibit A)

Not sure if it's been mentioned here before but if Hull get promoted through playoffs then Villa can activate a £15m buyback clause on Philogene. They're currently 6 points off playoffs but with a game in hand.

But if Hull don't then AV have no clause to speak of.....? Wacky.

Looks like, Ange will have to have a "make do" purchase on some of the summer buys.
The number one thing to make us better right now is a winger that can run, assist AND finish. Number two thing is a ST that can be effective against a low block.

We don’t finish enough chances and we fail to threaten enough against low blocks. Nobody is going to open themselves up against us except maybe top 4 until we can solve this because they know they can reliably beat us or take points this way.

Nobody here was crying out for Bowen when he was at Hull and the same with Watkins when he was at Brentford

I suspect there were only one or two who talked them up, agreed.

My biggest concern, despite us being 5th is that piece about player development. It's really hard to look at our players and to be able to pinpoint real and consistent improvement since joining.

Not at this stage laying that at the feet of Postecoglou and neither am I saying Bowen or Postecoglou would have necessarily been raging successes with us, but they are markedly better than they were, and both would now add quality for us. No doubt at all.

For all our talk of players not being good enough for us, what we must do is find players and then see them getting better both individually and within a team unit.

Not sure any of our players would be a Prem squad of 20 best players. Probably says a fair bit.

Gonna a sign off and leave this as where I'm at in terms of a good window:

Out:
Periphery guys (Tanguy, Rodon, Sess etc all the loan rangers)
Skipp
GLC
Hojberg
Don't sign Werner
One of Son or Richy

Maybe OUT
Bentancur
Kulusevski

IN
Williams
Zirkzee
Eze
Onana (or similar)
Philogene or Nusa or Bardgji
FB option
GK

Shadydan Shadydan giving this a laughing reaction and obviously I get why.

Surely you know I'm not silly enough to expect a list that long to happen. I even forgot a LCB like Tosin probs coming in on a free.

But doesn't it tell us everything we need to know about the realistic ambitions of this club that the squad can be short of that many positions to compete but we all know less than half of that happens?

realistically this is what I'm expecting in the summer:

OUT
same as above but Werner does sign.

IN
Eze
Gallagher
Tosin
maybe a FB and GK
maybe a FW but if it's dependant on Son or Richy coming off the wage bill and we get Werner in first, there is a very high chance the FW position ends up a "we tried".

Let's also be realistic and admit now that a summer like that has us firmly stuck in the same purgatory battle for 4th again. Maybe a Cup run to a SF.

Back
Top Bottom