Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Two exceptional wingers would take us to another level
100%

I think we need on ready-to-go, top line winger/wide playmaker that can start immediately from the left, and another rawish project.

Both have to have excellent 1v1 qualities - and the ability to instigate quick combinations, particularly down the left.

Emotion is still clouding people's judgement and they want to replace the guy who traded in choking on Jacob's crackers for choking on Pretzel's ASAP, even though the Ange approach isn't reliant on that kind of player at all.

It should be clear that it's our approach play that's the major issue - mainly caused by the increasing evidence that we are worse than mediocre out wide, without a single player who can consistently beat opponents 1v1 or combine at to open up defences.

Brennan Johnson will be a great end product player but as an individual he struggles to beat anyone once faced up. However he is brilliant sniffing out space and anticipating chances. If tap-ins are so easy why are none of the other wingers getting them?

Son & Richy are clearly strikers, who both look much happier in the middle than out wide. When Striker becomes an obvious area of weakness, we should address it, but not when we've still got 2 guys who've produced a combined 25 goals (1 pen btw!) goals over the season from the 9.

Kulusevski can only survive long term under Ange if he moves centrally - a choice has to made between him and Lo Celso this summer.

Werner is a late 20s player that will always be erratic. Too late to change him. One of the funniest elements of football fandom is when fans believe that a long-established player with bad habits will miraculously change, but a young developing player can't do so (See Brennan). If we sign him, it should be strictly as a squad player.

Bryan Gil - I like his IQ and skill, but at this point it's obvious that lacks the physical qualities to be a prem winger.

Solomon is a crock and has become massively overrated in absence.

Can someone with good monetary understanding about our club's situation help me out?

So I heard the news, we're in debt (obvs, the stadium still has ~£650m to pay) and we posted losses of almost £90m. We're the 6th biggest turnover in world football. But we're in financial fair play credit to about £400m or something like that.

So, we're paying off a loan with favourable rates over a long time, no biggie.
We're in FPP credit because we don't overspend, understood.
We're posting losses because while we made £500m or so, we spent more on that on new players and player wages. OK.

So where does that leave us in summer? Does amortisation and debt just play a part of our summer signings or will we be clear of debt by summer and ready to pay again?

I read we are in a good position compared to a lot of clubs, so hopefully we'll get some good deals on anything we do pay for, but I thought we were profitable since covid closures ended?

Does anyone who isn't an accountant even understand all this? I'm just taking talking-head quotes at their word at this point.

100%

I think we need on ready-to-go, top line winger/wide playmaker that can start immediately from the left, and another rawish project.

Both have to have excellent 1v1 qualities - and the ability to instigate quick combinations, particularly down the left.

Emotion is still clouding people's judgement and they want to replace the guy who traded in choking on Jacob's crackers for choking on Pretzel's ASAP, even though the Ange approach isn't reliant on that kind of player at all.

It should be clear that it's our approach play that's the major issue - mainly caused by the increasing evidence that we are worse than mediocre out wide, without a single player who can consistently beat opponents 1v1 or combine at to open up defences.

Brennan Johnson will be a great end product player but as an individual he struggles to beat anyone once faced up. However he is brilliant sniffing out space and anticipating chances. If tap-ins are so easy why are none of the other wingers getting them?

Son & Richy are clearly strikers, who both look much happier in the middle than out wide. When Striker becomes an obvious area of weakness, we should address it, but not when we've still got 2 guys who've produced a combined 25 goals (1 pen btw!) goals over the season from the 9.

Kulusevski can only survive long term under Ange if he moves centrally - a choice has to made between him and Lo Celso this summer.

Werner is a late 20s player that will always be erratic. Too late to change him. One of the funniest elements of football fandom is when fans believe that a long-established player with bad habits will miraculously change, but a young developing player can't do so (See Brennan). If we sign him, it should be strictly as a squad player.

Bryan Gil - I like his IQ and skill, but at this point it's obvious that lacks the physical qualities to be a prem winger.

Solomon is a crock and has become massively overrated in absence.

Agree

Brennan can beat players 1v1 though. Did it to Kyle Walker and others but is young so still plenty of improvement to come there

Can someone with good monetary understanding about our club's situation help me out?

So I heard the news, we're in debt (obvs, the stadium still has ~£650m to pay) and we posted losses of almost £90m. We're the 6th biggest turnover in world football. But we're in financial fair play credit to about £400m or something like that.

We're posting losses because while we made £500m or so, we spent more on that on new players and player wages. OK.

So where does that leave us in summer? Does amortisation and debt just play a part of our summer signings or will we be clear of debt by summer and ready to pay again?

I read we are in a good position compared to a lot of clubs, so hopefully we'll get some good deals on anything we do pay for, but I thought we were profitable since covid closures ended?

Does anyone who isn't an accountant even understand all this? I'm just taking talking-head quotes at their word at this point.

See accounts thread.

We signed Veliz instead who scored 1 goal and can’t even get on the bench in Sevilla

Signing young players is complicated and they don’t always process in a straight line

Orban has yet to score for Lyon and is getting sub minutes at best as well.

3 in 26 in total for him this season.

I’d also add in the Caveat that the general trend is that players of Orban’s body type/skillset develop faster than a player who has that of Veliz’s.

Orban has yet to score for Lyon and is getting sub minutes at best as well.

3 in 26 in total for him this season.

I’d also add in the Caveat that the general trend is that players of Orban’s body type/skillset develop faster than a player who has that of Veliz’s.

I'm not here saying he would have been a better signing for that young striker role.

I'm just saying it's hard as evidenced by both of them and all these smart arse twats using Orban as some kind of cheap points score haven't got a clue how hard it is to profile the right young attacker and then for that player to then deliver on their potential.

- No where near £400m credit for FFP, but we do have decent headroom, much better off than most clubs and will continue to be that providing we are 'sensible'
- Losses include big sums for amortisation and depreciation, excluding those decent cash contribution. But we will have stadium debt for next 20+ years, but low interest of circa 3% locked in so minimal impact on squad spend.
- I expect maybe £150m gross squad spend in summer (similar to last summer) provided we can shift some squad players and those loaned out no longer expected to return to squad.

More detail in thread 'Financial Results Year Ended 30 June 2023' but if you don't understand accounts or finance that thread won't help you ! But hopefully above 3 bullet points summarise what you want to know

I'm not here saying he would have been a better signing for that young striker role.

I'm just saying it's hard as evidenced by both of them and all these smart arse twats using Orban as some kind of cheap points score haven't got a clue how hard it is to profile the right young attacker and then for that player to then deliver on their potential.

Thankfully we have fully qualified staff members who know what they're doing and thankfully it looks like their knowledge is paying off :thumbup:

- No where near £400m credit for FFP, but we do have decent headroom, much better off than most clubs and will continue to be that providing we are 'sensible'
- Losses include big sums for amortisation and depreciation, excluding those decent cash contribution. But we will have stadium debt for next 20+ years, but low interest of circa 3% locked in so minimal impact on squad spend.
- I expect maybe £150m gross squad spend in summer (similar to last summer) provided we can shift some squad players and those loaned out no longer expected to return to squad.

More detail in thread 'Financial Results Year Ended 30 June 2023' but if you don't understand accounts or finance that thread won't help you ! But hopefully above 3 bullet points summarise what you want to know
Thanks, that's clarified it a bit. Cheers!

I would be surprised if Ange wasn't looking to dip into the free contract 2024 market with PL players like Adarabioyo and Kelly perfect for bolstering the defence. Another worth a look would be Argentinian international and Real Betis defensive midfielder Guido Rodriguez.

Back
Top Bottom