Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rodrygo should be high/top of our list.

incredible player, would light up the PL.

Not sure we could convince him, tbh.
Rodrygo on our left flank would be amazing.

He had the time of his life last night against Athletic Club.

It would be very hard to pull off I think but it would be a statement signing for sure.

He was in media lately stating how his best position is LWF I think, how RWF is his weakest but he accepts playing there to help the team (think it was Mbappe related).

Haven’t seen enough to know, but he’d be too expensive I suspect anyway.

With Real having Bellingham 10 Vicinius likely shunted RWF to fit Mbappe LWF, Endrick sub initially (is he a 10? Looked it Vs England). It’s a 9 they still really need (unless Mbappe wants that role).

They will play Mbappe at 9 IMO. Vini LWF, Mbappe and one fo Rodrygo or Brahim Diaz at RWF.

Brahim Diaz is interesting. Playing really well for them and homegrown in the UK I think.

Would fucking love Camavinga is Aneclotti has pissed him off too much putting him at LB. Would be the prefect prem #6.

Our front three all have to play with their backs to goal against teams that sit in. There’s no space in behind to run into. The forwards must be able to take it in and link up. Richy and Sonny can’t really do that as centre forwards. You also need a centre forward who can hold the ball up when we are countering teams too. We can’t have a central striker that it breaks down with most of the time when it’s played into him in tight areas.
As this was about Toney earlier he is perfect for us. Look at the way he brings players into play with deft touches in tight areas. It’s class. He uses his head,chest,both feet and clever flicks which can open the game up in an instant. We don’t have that with any of our front players especially the ones that play centrally.
He plays off the cuff at times and can be unpredictable which is what we need when things are tight in the first halfs.
We need something different

Kulusevski is the best of our forwards with his back to goal and tbh the wide areas always seem to be where we end up linking play back to goal. Almost never see us play direct through the middle maybe I don't look out for it. I don't think Richy is bad at all for linking play. Is Toney slightly better? sure but not better enough that it's worth the trouble he'd cause.

Kulusevski is the best of our forwards with his back to goal and tbh the wide areas always seem to be where we end up linking play back to goal. Almost never see us play direct through the middle maybe I don't look out for it. I don't think Richy is bad at all for linking play. Is Toney slightly better? sure but not better enough that it's worth the trouble he'd cause.
Toney is on another level from Richy at holding the ball up mate. Richy is ok when there’s space and the game has opened up. He isn’t good at it against teams that sit in or at places like palace,Luton,Bournemouth away where it’s much tighter. He’s improved a lot since the start of the season but we need upgrades in the whole front line to improve.
Deki is going through a spell where he is the worst of all our front players at holding it up. I’m a fan of his but he’s been poor for a good while now.

Out of curiosity what trouble will Toney cause?

They will play Mbappe at 9 IMO. Vini LWF, Mbappe and one fo Rodrygo or Brahim Diaz at RWF.

Brahim Diaz is interesting. Playing really well for them and homegrown in the UK I think.

Would fucking love Camavinga is Aneclotti has pissed him off too much putting him at LB. Would be the prefect prem #6.
Camavinga has done very little at Madrid. I've also watched him a fair few times for France and more often than not he was wank.

Very much feels like the kid who looked a world beater at 17 but then things happened way too fast for him and it's gone tits up.

If we could've him on loan, why not. But no way I'm spending 60-70 mil on him. Same goes for Tchouameni.

Camavinga has done very little at Madrid. I've also watched him a fair few times for France and more often than not he was wank.

Very much feels like the kid who looked a world beater at 17 but then things happened way too fast for him and it's gone tits up.

If we could've him on loan, why not. But no way I'm spending 60-70 mil on him. Same goes for Tchouameni.

When I have watched him he's been press resistant and covers every blade. Can ping passes and win the ball back. I think Ancelotti fucked him a bit playing him all over the place.

Toney is on another level from Richy at holding the ball up mate. Richy is ok when there’s space and the game has opened up. He isn’t good at it against teams that sit in or at places like palace,Luton,Bournemouth away where it’s much tighter. He’s improved a lot since the start of the season but we need upgrades in the whole front line to improve.
Deki is going through a spell where he is the worst of all our front players at holding it up. I’m a fan of his but he’s been poor for a good while now.

Out of curiosity what trouble will Toney cause?

When have we ever seen Toney hold it up against a team that sits in? NOBODY sits in against Brentford because that's how they play....

I'm watching the Luton game for the first time, Deki was good at holding the ball up. If you can find me an example of when he's been bad back to goal I will go and watch it but the only reasonable criticism of him is when he doesn't do enough 1v1 in the wide areas.

Toney has been talking about leaving Brentford whilst he was suspended for betting against his own team, in games he was playing. If he's not playing and Son is, he will be exactly the kind of character to get toxic imo. He's made it very clear with his actions that only one person matters to him.

When have we ever seen Toney hold it up against a team that sits in? NOBODY sits in against Brentford because that's how they play....

I'm watching the Luton game for the first time, Deki was good at holding the ball up. If you can find me an example of when he's been bad back to goal I will go and watch it but the only reasonable criticism of him is when he doesn't do enough 1v1 in the wide areas.

Toney has been talking about leaving Brentford whilst he was suspended for betting against his own team, in games he was playing. If he's not playing and Son is, he will be exactly the kind of character to get toxic imo. He's made it very clear with his actions that only one person matters to him.
You watching the Luton game and defending Deki??
Holding it up and bringing others into the game is not what deki done on Saturday. Holding it up isn’t just having your back to goal,it’s taking it in and finding a team mate. He never done that on Saturday.
Toney takes the ball in and keeps it in every situation more often than not whether it’s 50 yards from the goal or 20 yards from the goal.

Our front three all have to play with their backs to goal against teams that sit in. There’s no space in behind to run into. The forwards must be able to take it in and link up. Richy and Sonny can’t really do that as centre forwards. You also need a centre forward who can hold the ball up when we are countering teams too. We can’t have a central striker that it breaks down with most of the time when it’s played into him in tight areas.
As this was about Toney earlier he is perfect for us. Look at the way he brings players into play with deft touches in tight areas. It’s class. He uses his head,chest,both feet and clever flicks which can open the game up in an instant. We don’t have that with any of our front players especially the ones that play centrally.
He plays off the cuff at times and can be unpredictable which is what we need when things are tight in the first halfs.
We need something different
Definitely agree with the general point about what we’re lacking/need but don’t think Toney’s got particularly great feet In tight areas. Think he can be a bit clumsy personally. Looked a handful the other night but what did he really produce against a physically weak Utd back line. Lacks a bit of class and finesse for me.

Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing. Whether it’s an age or attitude thing don’t think many of the bigger teams will be interested in him. I’d be disappointed if he was our centre forward signing.

Last edited:
You watching the Luton game and defending Deki??
Holding it up and bringing others into the game is not what deki done on Saturday. Holding it up isn’t just having your back to goal,it’s taking it in and finding a team mate. He never done that on Saturday.
Toney takes the ball in and keeps it in every situation more often than not whether it’s 50 yards from the goal or 20 yards from the goal.

That's exactly what he did then played 1-2 with Son and played a perfect pass for Werner to go 1v1 and nearly score.

I'm no expert and open to learning. If you have a timecode from that game when he didn't hold the ball up well, I'll go watch it.

On a sidenote, Son just held the ball up, turned and burned passed the defender. Toney could never. Sure he's decent at flick-ons and long balls but have we ever seen him have to do it in a footballing system?

That's exactly what he did then played 1-2 with Son and played a perfect pass for Werner to go 1v1 and nearly score.

I'm no expert and open to learning. If you have a timecode from that game when he didn't hold the ball up well, I'll go watch it.

On a sidenote, Son just held the ball up, turned and burned passed the defender. Toney could never. Sure he's decent at flick-ons and long balls but have we ever seen him have to do it in a footballing system?
Deki was partly to blame for the first goal. His abysmal pass set them on the counter when we should be taking the lead in that situation. That’s part of taking your team up the pitch. It’s not just holding it in. There has to be an end product and in that situation he costs us. Yes Biss was poor too with Townsend but that’s where we need more quality up top. We need to punish teams in those positions rather being a goal down.
The one thing Toney can’t do is get it and sprint by someone but we don’t need that from a centre forward. That’s the wide players and midfielders job. We need a striker that takes us up the pitch at least 75% of the time. Anything less than that is poor striker play. Toney does that in every game I’ve seen him since he’s came back this season.
I don’t think we’ll sign him because of his age and price tag but he’s exactly what we need. Defenders hate playing against him and he has this aura and fear factor about him.

Deki was partly to blame for the first goal. His abysmal pass set them on the counter when we should be taking the lead in that situation. That’s part of taking your team up the pitch. It’s not just holding it in. There has to be an end product and in that situation he costs us. Yes Biss was poor too with Townsend but that’s where we need more quality up top. We need to punish teams in those positions rather being a goal down.
The one thing Toney can’t do is get it and sprint by someone but we don’t need that from a centre forward. That’s the wide players and midfielders job. We need a striker that takes us up the pitch at least 75% of the time. Anything less than that is poor striker play. Toney does that in every game I’ve seen him since he’s came back this season.
I don’t think we’ll sign him because of his age and price tag but he’s exactly what we need. Defenders hate playing against him and he has this aura and fear factor about him.

Deki should have crossed that for sure. Other than that though?

I'm not sure how often the system requires the striker to bring us up the pitch though? If you say we do i'll tak your word for it but we use build up patterns more from what I've seen Maddison, Deki, and Sarr are more likely to receive back to goal and bring others in.

Deki should have crossed that for sure. Other than that though?

I'm not sure how often the system requires the striker to bring us up the pitch though? If you say we do i'll tak your word for it but we use build up patterns more from what I've seen Maddison, Deki, and Sarr are more likely to receive back to goal and bring others in.
Against low block teams the only 3 players that won’t play with their back to goal is Vic(obviously) and the two centre backs.
At every level of football generally you are only as good as your centre forward and in the modern day game your wide players.
You imagine where we would be if we had Kane this season. That’s what a centre forward that brings others into the game and can score goals does for you. They are so important to being successful mate.
When Ange was at Celtic Kyogo was redundant till it went to the wide players in behind but we can’t rely on that as teams are better organised and have better defenders than the spl. We need our centre forward to be able to join in the play,create chances for others,create chances out of nothing for himself and have a presence. Kane done that and to a lesser level but still very good at it Toney does. As I said earlier it’s all hypothetical because we won’t get Toney but getting the right striker is so important.

If those cunts Woolwich had a striker they’d win the league. Thank fuck they haven’t.

Definitely agree with the general point about what we’re lacking/need but don’t think Toney’s got particularly great feet In tight areas. Think he can be a bit clumsy personally. Looked a handful the other night but what did he really produce against a physically weak Utd back line. Lacks a bit of class and finesse for me.

Maybe it’s an aesthetic thing. Whether it’s an age or attitude thing don’t think many of the bigger teams will be interested in him. I’d be disappointed if he was our centre forward signing.

Feels very lazy to blame our goal scoring issues on a striker. It’s a bigger team problem than just buying the best 9 out there.

Our wing play has been inconsistent at best. Day the same for the midfield 3. Maddison injury. Bissouma … something. Then you have Udogie and Porro who are nowhere near the attacking threats they were to start the season.

Feels very lazy to blame our goal scoring issues on a striker. It’s a bigger team problem than just buying the best 9 out there.

Our wing play has been inconsistent at best. Day the same for the midfield 3. Maddison injury. Bissouma … something. Then you have Udogie and Porro who are nowhere near the attacking threats they were to start the season.
It’s not just our strikers but they are massive to it. It breaks down too much when we get into that middle to final third. I totally agree that we need more guile and creativity from midfield though.

Against low block teams the only 3 players that won’t play with their back to goal is Vic(obviously) and the two centre backs.
At every level of football generally you are only as good as your centre forward and in the modern day game your wide players.
You imagine where we would be if we had Kane this season. That’s what a centre forward that brings others into the game and can score goals does for you. They are so important to being successful mate.
When Ange was at Celtic Kyogo was redundant till it went to the wide players in behind but we can’t rely on that as teams are better organised and have better defenders than the spl. We need our centre forward to be able to join in the play,create chances for others,create chances out of nothing for himself and have a presence. Kane done that and to a lesser level but still very good at it Toney does. As I said earlier it’s all hypothetical because we won’t get Toney but getting the right striker is so important.

If those cunts Woolwich had a striker they’d win the league. Thank fuck they haven’t.

Kane made Bayern better?

It's not always that simple. I'm not convinced that this system doesn't work better with Son playing CF.

I guess we will never know but we can't press like this with Kane or Toney up front.

The last few weeks has convinced me that we need to be looking for someone that can provide real competition for Bissouma. Not sure what happened to him, but he is not the same player he was at the beginning of the year.

Back
Top Bottom