Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not for the reasons I just said

No way we can afford a top #9, #6 and a player as good as Simons in one summer.

Loaning him would give us the team for a season but also give us a year to bring in another player like Simons

It's pointless, the likelihood is that he does well and since he's not staying then we'll need to replace him with someone as good if not better than him, meanwhile you're developing him for someone else.

Loan with obligation to buy, we're not some league 1 team.

Just go out and get someone this Summer

It's pointless, the likelihood is that he does well and since he's not staying then we'll need to replace him with someone as good if not better than him, meanwhile you're developing him for someone else.
Just go out and get someone this Summer

You don't think there's an upside to not spreading our budget too thinly(*)?

........So long as we got what we wanted from the transaction; then does it really matter if he goes back to PSG a better player?

(*We have lots to get done.... Maybe even 1 or 2 outgoings we weren't expecting if Ange cuts deep.)

Loan with obligation to buy, we're not some league 1 team.

PSG: "We don't want to sell"
THFC: "Loan + obligation then?"
PSG: scratches head

........So long as we got what we wanted from the transaction; then does it really matter if he goes back to PSG a better player?

(*We have lots to get done.... Maybe even 1 or 2 outgoings we weren't expecting if Ange cuts deep.)

Nope, not at all.

Exactly mate.

If our 8/10s can do the progressive stuff, does it necessarily matter if he’s perfunctory on the ball?

As long as he’s a monster off it.

Ange wants to draw teams onto us and play out through pressure to create forward overloads, but you still need a player with decent defensive qualities. That’s why I think Bissouma is a good general fit. He covers both those bases and it’s hard to find that.

But I guess there maybe games or circumstances when a purer defensive animal could work. I’m not averse to the idea of having one around, and Ugarte is a good one, I just don’t believe it’s the issue, defensively, others do. I think we’ve got much bigger problems.

Last edited:
we’ve got much bigger problems.
I'm absolutely with you on that.

I'd be more than happy to see us sink our entire transfer budget into our attack. So much of the pressure our midfield and defense comes under is down to our inability to hold onto the ball.

We're likely to lose at least 2 MFs this summer (PEH, GLC)... If not more (Skipp?)......

To go into a season inc. Europa Lg with just Biss, Benta and Bergvall (with a question mark over his head) for 2 positions and Maddison alone for the other another and think we'll get through unscathed is madness.

We're likely to lose at least 2 MFs this summer (PEH, GLC)... If not more (Skipp?)......

To go into a season inc. Europa Lg with just Biss, Benta and Bergvall (with a question mark over his head) for 2 positions and Maddison alone for the other another and think we'll get through unscathed is madness.
Think we need the 6. It's been a mess this year and neither Bentancur nor Biss have claimed it. Flog Gio/PEH and keep Skipp as utility man.

NEW
(Biss/Skipp)
Bentancur ---- Maddison
(Sarr) ---- (Bergvall)
No natural cover for Maddison is a worry but can't see us getting a 6 and a 10.

Especially given we need two new starting forwards.

To the 6 I'd add a shit hot LW and RW, leaving Richy as 9 with Son back up.

If we can then bolster the fullback area we are really in business but that is not a first XI concern.

Back
Top Bottom