Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I liked Ugarte whenever I saw him but if Enrique doesn’t rate him I’d imagine there’s a good reason why.

Enrique is cut from the Jose cloth.

It will be a Personality clash not ability.

Ugarte is as close as we could get to an elite level #6 for what we spend.

The only other way we could get better imo is to buy a younger and hope they develop like Sarr.

He’s press resistant as well. Carries the ball as well as Bissouma

Because he's a technician obsessed bore whose football hasn't been effective in years other than in the possession percentage chart?
Enrique who won a treble isn’t effective?

lol

“But anyone can win a treble with that team”

Cool, I guess Pep isn’t anything special either since he’s always had the best players at his disposal.

Enrique who won a treble isn’t effective?

lol

“But anyone can win a treble with that team”

Cool, I guess Pep isn’t anything special either since he’s always had the best players at his disposal.

Comparing Enrique to Pep is hilarious. Go talk to Barca fans and see how differently they rate the two of them, there's a reason for that.

Enrique has done a mediocre job of coaching EVERY team he's had apart from a Barca side with the best front three in football history. Messi, Suarez and Neymar all in their prime, all at once. And we're talking 7-8 years ago he achieved that anyway.

Is he a terrible coach? No. Is he even close to Pep who has a resource advantage but builds machine like teams who are coached to a much higher level and much more adaptable? No. He's just ok. His PSG team have continued that tradition, dropped points in 12 Ligue 1 games & would've had another QF knockout to a meh Barca team if not for an Araujo moment of madness. Then out to fucking Dortmund.

Big fact MEH to Luis Enrique and his methods, unless he happens to have 3 of the 5 best players on the planet all at once.

Comparing Enrique to Pep is hilarious. Go talk to Barca fans and see how differently they rate the two of them, there's a reason for that.

Enrique has done a mediocre job of coaching EVERY team he's had apart from a Barca side with the best front three in football history. Messi, Suarez and Neymar all in their prime, all at once. And we're talking 7-8 years ago he achieved that anyway.

Is he a terrible coach? No. Is he even close to Pep who has a resource advantage but builds machine like teams who are coached to a much higher level and much more adaptable? No. He's just ok. His PSG team have continued that tradition, dropped points in 12 Ligue 1 games & would've had another QF knockout to a meh Barca team if not for an Araujo moment of madness. Then out to fucking Dortmund.

Big fact MEH to Luis Enrique and his methods, unless he happens to have 3 of the 5 best players on the planet all at once.
His 14/15 team scored more goals and conceded less than Pep’s 08/09 Barca team, ‘the greatest team of all time’

Barca’s best goal difference was under Enrique as well that season, which means he was coaching them well on and off the ball, not just relying on their front 3 alone.

His 14/15 team scored more goals and conceded less than Pep’s 08/09 Barca team, ‘the greatest team of all time’

Barca’s best goal difference was under Enrique as well that season, which means he was coaching them well on and off the ball, not just relying on their front 3 alone.
Deuterz Deuterz Raf Raf

I am not sure Enrique's pedigree is directly relevant to the debate.

Question is whether his negative assessment of Ugarte is simply because he couldn't play in Enrique's system; but he would suit being an Angeball #8 in the PL... OR did Enrique spot a lack of technical ability that would mean he may struggle in PL?

Deuterz Deuterz Raf Raf

I am not sure Enrique's pedigree is directly relevant to the debate.

Question is whether his negative assessment of Ugarte is simply because he couldn't play in Enrique's system; but he would suit being an Angeball #8 in the PL... OR did Enrique spot a lack of technical ability that would mean he may struggle in PL?

Closest type of player to Ugarte would be bruno guimarães, he is an all rounder, he ain’t Xavi at passing but he doesn’t really do anything poorly. For me if we are high press high intensity we could do far worse. Obviously no idea if he has a shit personality in the background but he has always been really impressive whenever I have seen him, a proper stand out.

Nope, the front three terrified teams in to submission. No side have ever had a better front three, it is quite literally (by far) the best front three football has ever seen. It had the best lw in the world, the best player in history, and the best centre forward in the world. All of them legends of the game. That impacts ALL aspects of play.

Pep is miles better than Enrique. His work at every other job shows this. Enrique has had ONE impressive side and his career before and after has been mediocre to poor. The gap between him and Pep is a bloody chasm.

I don't really care if he's fallen out with Ugarte/doesn't rate him. He might be a good coach but he's far from one of the very best, and he's known as a difficult personality who can only play one way. It's fine when you're at Barca.

Nope, the front three terrified teams in to submission. No side have ever had a better front three, it is quite literally (by far) the best front three football has ever seen. It had the best lw in the world, the best player in history, and the best centre forward in the world. All of them legends of the game. That impacts ALL aspects of play.

Pep is miles better than Enrique. His work at every other job shows this. Enrique has had ONE impressive side and his career before and after has been mediocre to poor. The gap between him and Pep is a bloody chasm.

I don't really care if he's fallen out with Ugarte/doesn't rate him. He might be a good coach but he's far from one of the very best, and he's known as a difficult personality who can only play one way. It's fine when you're at Barca.
I can accept that Pep might be better than Enrique. Although Enrique didn’t have the privilege of being fast tracked into coaching Barcelona like Pep did.

Either way, I maintain that winning a treble and getting all of them to score goals together while conceding a low amount isn’t as easy as you’d think and shows that’s he’s a good coach.

That’s all I’ll say on that to keep it on topic.

But yes, I do think he has the credentials to make a sound assessment on Ugarte and Enrique not rating him could be a red flag beyond him just not fitting his system.

Back
Top Bottom