Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The squad age has a direct link to style of play and why I think the high pressure style is a problem in the long term.

In order to implement it, you need an extremely fit, young and willing squad. Examples being early days of Poch, early days of Klopp, Leeds last season.
The style can't work when you have older players who can't cope with the sheer amount of running required and maybe feel they're big enough not to have to.

At that point you have to rebuild your squad. Do Spurs accept selling our best players? Never. But they're getting a bit older and are unable to fit in that system. So then what? You can't play the "heavy metal" style so you as a coach have to start changing your philosophy to incorporate your older players waning fitness.

It's a real problem. You build a young squad and turn them into star players but by the time it happens, they can't really function in your team so you have to sell them and start over.
The Bielsa/Poch/Klopp et al. is essentially the footy equivalent of either dying to be a hero, or living long enough to become a villain.

Do you see him more as a winger or CAM?

Sorry I know that wasnt aimed at me but how he moves between the lines, takes the ball and threads passes he reminds me of a David Silva style of player who does move in and out of wide spaces but is really doing the role of an AM number 10. I think that is his future for us, he can be our new Eriksen although with slightly different skills.

I’d rather start him than bergwijn as things stand
Me too, I like Bergwijn's speed and enthusiasm but he runs down too many dead ends.

I want it to be that we're not always relying on Kane or Son, and occasionally Lucas for everything attacking. Now that Dele seems to have a deeper LMF role (and yes he does get forward when he can) we need something like Ndombele was meant to be... especially now that we don't have Bale, to be able to get into the defences of the hard to score against teams. We don;t seem to have a good free kick taker since Erikson/Trippier/Bale left. Our free kicks don't get us much.

Sorry I know that wasnt aimed at me but how he moves between the lines, takes the ball and threads passes he reminds me of a David Silva style of player who does move in and out of wide spaces but is really doing the role of an AM number 10. I think that is his future for us, he can be our new Eriksen although with slightly different skills.
That sounds exactly like what we need. Sounds like he can then be the most advanced midfielder in a 3 man midfield?
But of course, I think he needs a season before he adjusts to PL.

I gave an example of a cross ie Trippier to Shaw, England cup final. Not just a random lob into/near the 6yrd box, but where a player is to be.

I was just going from your description of 'crossing stat criteria'..... Me remembering individual crosses from games when I've watched another 10 or more games since isn't very likely, sorry (not trying to be awkward there; that's just how my brain works).

That's more difficult than any cross towards a player in the final third, which could well be a pass and not an assist to a goal attempt.

Taking this on face value' let's say you're right..... Without having a detailed breakdown of each alleged cross that Gio makes; how are we to know how many of the 19% were difficult and how many were simple...... This was my point all along.

Ultimately; I'm stat-neutral...... Sometimes they mean something; sometimes not.

Let's move on fella..... And please accept my appologies if you think I was rude to you earlier. :nunohands:

Do you see him more as a winger or CAM?
Personally, I feel that pigeonholing players into strict positions is now an outmoded concept in the modern game, especially for forward players. Creativity from a “playmaker” is no longer exclusive, and it appears that many are looking for that from all areas, particularly wide areas.

Grealish at Villa is a prime example. He played primarily wide left for them, and virtually all of their creativity went through him. Chelsea don’t really have a central playmaker, they have busy central midfielders who progress the ball to their wide players, who then create opportunities. Their wingbacks in particular, and the likes of Pulisic and Werner, who operate as wide forwards in the main.
Liverpool don’t really have a playmaker either. It’s widely acknowledged that their creativity comes from their wingbacks.

Of course, City have De Bruyne and Utd have Pogba, whilst Wolves have Moutinho but, with the exception of De Bruyne, they are more “in a addition to” rather than being the main creative hub.

Having said all of the above, I do feel we need that additional creativity in the middle, as it gives yet another dimension to our forward play, but I don’t really think that player’s playmaking ability ‘needs’ to be his main attribute. Whilst it would be nice to have the type of player that can ping the Hollywood pass, for me it’s more about having that player that can pick the “pass before the pass” to the creative wide outlets. Then you have the forwards and box-to-box types overloading the final third to get on the end of the creative distribution from wide. Modric and Dembele are our own recent examples of this. Average when it came to assists and goals, but absolutely integral to the creative build up. Eriksen was a playmaker, but whenever he was nullified, our creativity effectively disappeared because we were reliant on him almost exclusively.

I like the type of players we are looking at getting, IMO it shows a clear plan on how we want to play and the plethora of outlets we are looking to play with.

It’s not going to happen all in one window unfortunately, much as I still believe we have a Golden opportunity to make it happen if we’re brave with our spending, but the plan seems fairly clear to me.

Well I can't think that he hasn't made a blip on the Paratici radar.... but yes, it's the sort of thing we want, someone to pester the fuck out of the opposition, I hope he can take free kicks too... (if he comes to Spurs).
Looking at that reel, he’d likely take over from Grealish as the most fouled player in the Prem if he came over.

He looks to have extremely quick feet and an awareness of what is around him, I’d worry though that he’d turn the ball over a fair bit holding onto it too long. If he’s free though, absolutely worth the punt. A bit of Prem style coaching and he could potentially be an absolute diamond.

Personally, I feel that pigeonholing players into strict positions is now an outmoded concept in the modern game, especially for forward players. Creativity from a “playmaker” is no longer exclusive, and it appears that many are looking for that from all areas, particularly wide areas.

Grealish at Villa is a prime example. He played primarily wide left for them, and virtually all of their creativity went through him. Chelsea don’t really have a central playmaker, they have busy central midfielders who progress the ball to their wide players, who then create opportunities. Their wingbacks in particular, and the likes of Pulisic and Werner, who operate as wide forwards in the main.
Liverpool don’t really have a playmaker either. It’s widely acknowledged that their creativity comes from their wingbacks.

Of course, City have De Bruyne and Utd have Pogba, whilst Wolves have Moutinho but, with the exception of De Bruyne, they are more “in a addition to” rather than being the main creative hub.

Having said all of the above, I do feel we need that additional creativity in the middle, as it gives yet another dimension to our forward play, but I don’t really think that player’s playmaking ability ‘needs’ to be his main attribute. Whilst it would be nice to have the type of player that can ping the Hollywood pass, for me it’s more about having that player that can pick the “pass before the pass” to the creative wide outlets. Then you have the forwards and box-to-box types overloading the final third to get on the end of the creative distribution from wide. Modric and Dembele are our own recent examples of this. Average when it came to assists and goals, but absolutely integral to the creative build up. Eriksen was a playmaker, but whenever he was nullified, our creativity effectively disappeared because we were reliant on him almost exclusively.

I like the type of players we are looking at getting, IMO it shows a clear plan on how we want to play and the plethora of outlets we are looking to play with.

It’s not going to happen all in one window unfortunately, much as I still believe we have a Golden opportunity to make it happen if we’re brave with our spending, but the plan seems fairly clear to me.
Really good post.

The reason I wanted to make a distinction at this stage is because it may impact the type of player we want to transfer in.
For example, if Gil is most comfortable providing width on the left flank, then with Ndombele AWOL, our main priority should be bringing in another creative midfielder.
But if Gil is going to progress to playing in a David Silva role, then our priority should be bringing in another winger.

Looking at that reel, he’d likely take over from Grealish as the most fouled player in the Prem if he came over.

He looks to have extremely quick feet and an awareness of what is around him, I’d worry though that he’d turn the ball over a fair bit holding onto it too long. If he’s free though, absolutely worth the punt. A bit of Prem style coaching and he could potentially be an absolute diamond.
Being fouled a lot is okay as long as we make something of the free kicks. I think if you have a quality free kick taker, the opposition will think twice about fouling anywhere near the box. So it gives the opposition a dilemma.

For example Man Uid, when they had Beckham, Giggs, Cantana, I think they got a fair few goals due to the opposition thinking twice about giving away free kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom