Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree.

I don't think he's had enough. I just think people are trying to read between lines that aren't there.

He did interview last week and people are saying he's talking like a man who knows he will leave soon. I see it as a man who is hurt by what his team is doing.

People also seem to think he has given up . Hardly? He had a few bad games at the start of February but since then no errors. People will look to over-scrutinise him from now to the end of the season but honestly he's class.

In a window where there is no money I'd not be looking at selling and replacing him.

I have no interest in moving him on right now, if he wants to stay then all he needs to do is sign his contract and that will be that. The longer he goes without extending the more likely he will be sold, just like Eriksen and Dembele. Levy will never let a good player leave for free if he can avoid it.

I get that feeling that like Kane and Son, this season needs to end well if he's going to give us another big commitment. This will be the last big contract opportunity for those three.

I never get the transfer thread folks that come in and say lets just buy the best players ever without providing a realistic way for that to happen.

Maybe we can have another thread for folks like MemphisWill MemphisWill where they can talk about a fantasy land where reality doesn't exist and just like the 11 best players in the world and talk about how it is a failure if we don't add each of them.
Are you saying there is no chance we’re bringing in Haaland as Kane’s backup?

Only if he is bringing Sancho with him, otherwise what is the point?
Sissoko + Dier for Sancho + Haaland.

In all seriousness I do agree we need to lower our targets a bit and look at younger players. There are far too many issues with the current squad to replace all with prime players.
I don't think getting one prime CB will make us a shoe in for the title next year. It'll definitely help but lets not pretend that that's the only thing we're missing this season.

Sissoko + Dier for Sancho + Haaland.

In all seriousness I do agree we need to lower our targets a bit and look at younger players. There are far too many issues with the current squad to replace all with prime players.
I don't think getting one prime CB will make us a shoe in for the title next year. It'll definitely help but lets not pretend that that's the only thing we're missing this season.

I just think we have a much better chance of getting a world class, or close to it, CB by buying them younger than to buy someone at that level already.

I think what most likely happens is we overspend on Skriniar trying to convince ourselves that he is world class and end up with a CB that mediocre but cost a ton.

I get that everyone wants someone great now, and I agree with those that said we should have brought in someone I am talking about 2 or 3 years ago, but I think it is more likely that we do something like Leicester with Fofana and Soyencu who are good now with the potential to get great than we are to buy a duo like Dias and Laporte.

It seems Oogo is somewhat resigned to the confused policy at the club which oscillates between a strategy of buying young prospects and selling them on at a premium vs having genuine title ambitions.

OUT
Confirmed : Rose, Bale, Vinicius
Highly likely : Carter Vickers, Gazzaniga
Rumoured (confident) : Sissoko, Alli
Rumoured (speculation) : Winks, Lloris, Aurier
Oh fuck it : Reguillon (buy back clause) - I'll ignore this in counts below, but it could happen.

Last year of contract : Lloris, Lamela, Whiteman, Hart, Aurier

IN
Assoc Trained :

Club Trained : Tanganga
Foreign :
U21 : Skipp, Sessengon, Clarke

SQUAD BALANCE

Assoc trained :
5 (+1)
Club Trained : 2 (-2)
Foreign : 11 (-5)
U21 : (unlimited)

SUMMER ACTION
1) Must add 2 club trained players (over 21). They should be better than Winks, Bale and Alli.
2) Must sign 4 or 5 foreign players.
3) If we retain 5 assoc trained, foreign balance drops to 4.
4) New contracts

CONCLUSION
1) Losing Bale, Winks and Alli is NOT an option. Must retain at least 2 of these....failing that, we sign Andros Townsend on loan :)
2) Can't see us signing 6 or 7 players to be honest. IF Sissoko and Aurier both go; Ndombele won't have French friends at the club.

I want half the same people out as you lot, but there also just one small reminder.

We need to replace homegrown with homegrown. Not sure what the Brexit rule is going to look like either for clubs but that's got to be considered.

There's no point trying to get rid of homegrown first team players unless we replace them with the same.

We have like no money

Say we get £5m for Lloris.

It will cost at least £15m more so (£20m+) for Maignan.

I don't think its worth it.

Another thing ppl don't realise. lloris is our captain. Very hard just to replace that too. Priceless that.
"We have no money"....like does not belong in this sentence. Unless you are an under 30 American.

I want half the same people out as you lot, but there also just one small reminder.

We need to replace homegrown with homegrown. Not sure what the Brexit rule is going to look like either for clubs but that's got to be considered.

There's no point trying to get rid of homegrown first team players unless we replace them with the same.

We dont have to have the full 25 man squad, nor maximize the HG quota. As an extreme example, we could have a squad of just 17 foreign players and a bunch of u21.

One justification of selling HG without replacement is to raise funds e.g. selling Alli. There is really no point in keeping a player of value if he will not be getting regular minutes.

The real hard cap is on foreign players of which we need to sell to bring in replacements

We dont have to have the full 25 man squad, nor maximize the HG quota. As an extreme example, we could have a squad of just 17 foreign players and a bunch of u21.

One justification of selling HG without replacement is to raise funds e.g. selling Alli. There is really no point in keeping a player of value if he will not be getting regular minutes.

The real hard cap is on foreign players of which we need to sell to bring in replacements

If we sold Dele at market value today, he would be £30 million.

Levy's invested too much in him to let him go for so little.

If we sold Dele at market value today, he would be £30 million.

Levy's invested too much in him to let him go for so little.
I dont see his relative value rising in the near future. Dele just seems unable to diversify his game which will keep him out of most teams and limits his value

If the Haaland, Mbappe and Messi sweepstakes happen, there should be some money in circulation for attacking talent, and might be the best opportunity to sell him.

I dont see his relative value rising in the near future. Dele just seems unable to diversify his game which will keep him out of most teams and limits his value
Agreed. I think he's hit his plateau for the time being. I don't think he'd move to another English club though, could see him go to Germany or France for a bit. Question is, do we roll the dice and let him out on loan and risk losing even more value on him or just sell him.

At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 7 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match.

So, 7 of our 18 need to be home grown in the match day squad.

You would essentially have an entire bench of under 21 players.

Agreed. I think he's hit his plateau for the time being. I don't think he'd move to another English club though, could see him go to Germany or France for a bit. Question is, do we roll the dice and let him out on loan and risk losing even more value on him or just sell him.
Sell with buy back clause. Need funds to address other areas

This is correct AFAIK.
At present, Section 5 of the EFL’s Rules and Regulations (“EFL Rules and Regulations”) requires each EFL club to nominate 7 home grown players on their team sheet for each league match.

So, 7 of our 18 need to be home grown in the match day squad.

You would essentially have an entire bench of under 21 players.
I don't think EFL rules about 7 HG players in the squad apply in the EPL.
EG v Sheff United we only had 5 HG in the squad.

Last edited:
Anything recent about Minge? This from January:

Tottenham are preparing another move for South Korean defender Kim Min-jae, our friends at the Mirror understand.

Spurs made a move to sign the centre-back during the extended summer transfer window, but could not get a deal over the line and it appears their desire to sign the South Korean has not waned.

The Mirror exclusively report that Spurs are 'weighing up a bid' this month and have stepped up their interest due to growing concerns of competition from London rivals Chelsea.

Spurs made serious enquiries with Chinese Super League side Beijing Goan for the 6ft 3ins defender, nicknamed 'Monster' due to his height and physical power, in the summer as a replacement for Jan Vertonghen.

Anything recent about Minge? This from January:

Tottenham are preparing another move for South Korean defender Kim Min-jae, our friends at the Mirror understand.

Spurs made a move to sign the centre-back during the extended summer transfer window, but could not get a deal over the line and it appears their desire to sign the South Korean has not waned.

The Mirror exclusively report that Spurs are 'weighing up a bid' this month and have stepped up their interest due to growing concerns of competition from London rivals Chelsea.

Spurs made serious enquiries with Chinese Super League side Beijing Goan for the 6ft 3ins defender, nicknamed 'Monster' due to his height and physical power, in the summer as a replacement for Jan Vertonghen.
schitts creek wtf GIF by CBC

I'm going out on a limb here but I don't know of any players who have made a jump or successfully made a jump from the CSL to the Premier League unless I've missed something.

I wonder if Roman over at Chelsea likes to fuck with Levy by pretending to go after players sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom