Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Do we have the capacity or capability of buying an unknown gem anymore or is this now the domain of any other club but us?

And no I am not saying all the players that clubs sign will come good but these signings are producing the buzz of excitement that we used to be renown for.

Now our best bet seems to be reality TV.

Honestly what the fcuk does our scouting system do????
You think this kid will be a huge star?

Is £35m worth a 'buzz of excitement'?

£40m for an 18 year player old with less than 500 minutes first team experience who has scored one goal.

They have bought Parrott for £40m ??????

its likely part of the price they pay for getting Neves, Patricio, Moutinho on the cheap. Now they have to help Mendes out by overpaying to get this guy.

Probably worth it in the end but when you make a deal with the devil, you eventually have to pay for it.

It's going to be a very underwhelming summer for transfers but that has been the trend under ENIC for a while now. It isn't going to get any better in the context of Covid.
One of the main issues with the academy is that changing managers at the top can really mess things up. A lot of the players who have "graduated" seem to be more in the Poch mould, of developing players who can retain the ball, now under Mourinho the tactics are going to be more counter-attacking. Will he want to select any of them?
The only academies that seem to work over the long-term are at clubs with a dominant footballing philosophy, like Ajax and Barcelona, which they generally don't deviate from, and even they go through lean periods.

Do we have the capacity or capability of buying an unknown gem anymore or is this now the domain of any other club but us?

And no I am not saying all the players that clubs sign will come good but these signings are producing the buzz of excitement that we used to be renown for.

Now our best bet seems to be reality TV.

Honestly what the fcuk does our scouting system do????

No 'buzz' surrounding Ndombele, GLC, Sanchez when we signed them?

Bergwijn can't prove to be a "gem"?

Your post is knee-jerk guff.

Last edited:
He's another nothing midfielder, not holding, not creative, doesnt score. We already have Winks, Sissoko and probably Hojbjerg as bits and pieces midfielers, we really dont want or need another. As you say we're crying out for some creativity. Will bloody Hughes? Lets hope its a crap rumour.
No doubt you’re one of those fans who cried “Carrick......what does he do???” every week

Unknown gems don’t cost 35M
We have an academy that just churned out Tanganaga from nowhere, Skipp looking to make the step up, Kane, Winks and who knows, Cirkin next?
Wolves not having an academy worth a wank isn’t our problem
Oooo this is awkward Sammy. Seems we just purchased one of their academy products because our academy couldn't produce one.

Little egg on your face my man.

If you can't see why Wolves are dropping a £35m+ on a Portuguese player, I think a bit of a dive into who's really responsible for transfers at that place may help.

Companies should be ashamed of paying the absolute minimum they can get away with. Is that a value you disagree with? And the 'seal of approval' says that certain companies value their workers. This is not a strange arrangement though you cast aspersions on the process.

There are many other 3 parties like Underwriters Laboratories. I'm sure you are familiar with them (or the very many others that provide safety measures for the general public)? They make sure your electronic device won't burn up your fucking house. Sure, go buy that inexpensive Chinese product that has not been UL'd. But when your shit burns down don't complain. Guess what? Companies gotta pay for UL too and they've even moved from non-profit to for-profit. Would you buy a product that was not UL'd? I wouldn't. That's how these things work for things that are over and above the goverment minimum.

Getting your product or service validated by an independent 3rd party shows your values and your confidence in your product or practice. Doing the government minimum, although legal and ethical, is not something that should be applauded...which you and a few others have broken your wrist doing.

How would they exist otherwise? They go beyond the government minimum and thus have no way to enforce their measures other than companies wanting to show they are better than the minimum. Another attempt to throw shade but apparently you are a person happy with the minimum being done by your club.

Unethical, no? The bare minimum? Possibly, as we don't know beyond a filing stating that we do comly with government statutes. You know what would solve that? An independent third party accreditation. Welp, right back to where we started.

And no, Spurs don't need to be included in their list to actually be paying a Living Wage. They are not a govt body and there is no statute providing them authority over anything. In fact, Spurs don't have to voluntarily seek their approval to actually be paying a REAL living wage. But were I head of a company doing over and above the minimum legal, moral, and ethical requirements I would want it sung from the fucking rafters that I am not like the rest of the bloodsuckers in the cesspool that is football. But then again, were I the type of CEO that would be first to take advantage of govt money and furlough the fucking hell out of my workers so that I could get my grass cut then perhaps I would just leave my government bare minimum dealings down low in a filing. (ok, that last sentence was agenda I freely admit)

And lastly, there are other London teams that have seen value in this process. Why hasn't Daniel when Palace are upward of 80% wages to turnover yet didn't furlough and pay a Real Living Wage? WHam are skint yet pay RLW. If we pay a RLW then go through the process. It will make it better for everyone as pressure will increase on other companies to go beyond the government minimum.

Mr No Agenda Whatsoever goes all in on a pair of 3's.

Not if the academy produces the quality we need. That’s the whole point.

People wanted us to spend 60M on De Ligt because he scored a header.
I’d rather go with Tanganga for free.....looks a proper player

De Ligt is a title winner Sammy mate. What the hell has Tanganga done ? Had a few really good games. Please let’s not go overboard. I love our academy players, but you really need to stop overrating them son. If all our academy players were that fantastic, we would be winning a lot more trophies than a pitiful 1 league cup in 20 years. The fact is, we have had 1 spectacular academy star coming through in Kane. Winksy, who I really like is never going to be top class. Great squad player no doubt, but he won’t be top class ever. Cirkin has played a few friendlies ffs mate and you are already labelling him in the Kane academy mould ? De Ligt is a CL player who has won his 1st league title at 19. Us Spurs fans seem to accept failure and it’s just baffling.

Mr No Agenda Whatsoever goes all in on a pair of 3's.
See, and here I was unignoring you because I thought you might have something football to say. Nope, internet points it is. Just fucking tedious. Shouldn't you be rubbing one out with all this academy talk going on around you? Would have figured you were all warmed up. Nonce.

Back
Top Bottom