Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Was interested in him about 4 years ago but never really kicked on.
Interesting player though if Jose can get something out of him.

Seriously don’t know how many AMs we need though

I don't think we will buy a striker. If Harry is to be rested or gets injured Jose will play Son as the striker and someone like Gray will take his place on the left

Good post and no you can't put your dough on anything spurs related other than letting you down.
But joke's aside we are in a difficult place which always seems to affect us the worst, however the funny part is that the new stadium was meant to kick us on and yet financially we have gone backward again.
I think it will be a while before anything good starts to show, in the meantime all we can do is carrying supporting the team whilst having a laugh at it all.
😁
if it wasn't for Covid and fans not being allowed in stadiums i think we would have seen a similar spend to last season.

if it wasn't for Covid and fans not being allowed in stadiums i think we would have seen a similar spend to last season.

Indeed. Notable measures were taken to ensure we wouldn't suffer the same way the goons did when they built the death star..... It's a real kick in the teeth for anyone that take the time to understand these things.

Last edited:
If the average casual on a football forum can identify their problems, surely Frank Lampard can as well? Why not also wait in this case how their team looks like when the window is closed? The vast majority of teams are far from done, the chavs certainly aren't.
Problem they have is, they have now spent the Hazard money. So they have to rely on selling players to buy.. What teams are going to take a punt on Barkley, Batshuayi, Zouma when they are probably on £150k a week and will be demanding fees of £30m +.

Problem they have is, they have now spent the Hazard money. So they have to rely on selling players to buy.. What teams are going to take a punt on Barkley, Batshuayi, Zouma when they are probably on £150k a week and will be demanding fees of £30m +.
Or Roman could top up the transfer kitty for them now that FFP does not exist? Let them spend though, lets see how Fat Frank handles all them egos in the dressing room!

Anyone can spend money, let's see how these players actually perform before giving up. We all got very excited when Ndombele rocked up and we know how that turned out. Chelsea have spent a lot of money on some good talents but none proven at the top level.

No matter how much money they throw around, they aren't going to sign anyone better than Kane or Son. So let's be calm and look forward to a season where we can get all our best players on the pitch together.
Fair enough, but would you not prefer us to be adding players of the same quality as they are that can add to what son and kane bring us ?

Can people please stop whinging about Chelsea and their signings.

People are getting upset because a manager who has never had money to spend before suddenly does, and he's making it look like he's playing football manager. Their problem is defence, but Lampard isn't a good enough manager to identify and sort that.

I'd rather trust the judgement of one of the most successful managers ever over a manager who only got the job because the club were banned from making transfers. If Pep, Ancelotti and Mourinho all rated and were interested in Hojbjerg, it probably means he's a good player. Hart isn't coming in to be first team, he's here for English quota and to be a big voice in the dressing room. Man City have just signed Scott Carson on loan for fucks sake, it's what clubs do!

There's no pleasing some people. I see people on here moan they wouldn't want to be like Chelsea, yet they then moan when Chelsea spend money and win trophies and we don't.
You've got it bit wrong here, mate

I think Chelsea are simply being used as an example for making signings that improve their first 11 - something we desperate need based on the shit show served last season - yet to date we have made no real attempt to do that in the transfer market.

I don't expect us to sign 300m worth of players but I certainly expect the 8th richest club in the world to be able to sign at least one quality player this window that improves our team and doesn't plunge us into bankruptcy. Unless of course you want to believe the shameless ENIC lies about Covid, the stadium, etc. If that makes me a cunt in the book of some cultist Levy apologists on here - I'm quite ok with it.

You've got it bit wrong here, mate

I think Chelsea are simply being used as an example for making signings that improve their first 11 - something we desperate need based on the shit show served last season - yet to date we have made no real attempt to do that in the transfer market.

I don't expect us to sign 300m worth of players but I certainly expect the 8th richest club in the world to be able to sign at least one quality player this window that improves our team and doesn't plunge us into bankruptcy. Unless of course you want to believe the shameless ENIC lies about Covid, the stadium, etc. If that makes me a cunt the book of some Levy apologists on here - I'm quite ok with it.
Yes with the stadium being open from August until march when the lockdown kicked in, you would have thought that quite a bit of money has been generated already.
No one expected the club to go mental in the summer, but certainly 1/2 players of heavy investment should have been viable.

Yes with the stadium being open from August until march when the lockdown kicked in, you would have thought that quite a bit of money has been generated already.
No one expected the club to go mental in the summer, but certainly 1/2 players of heavy investment should have been viable.
Profits above Glory - only when this sick cancerous notion is eliminated from the ethos of our club - only then we can enter a path of recovery

Profits above Glory - only when this sick cancerous notion is eliminated from the ethos of our club - only then we can enter a path of recovery
I am surprised that pre covid levy wasn't able to secure a sponsorship deal with someone which have gone someway to funding the stadium.
Now with the financial markets struggling we will be lucky to get sponsorship from Poundland.
🤣

Fair enough, but would you not prefer us to be adding players of the same quality as they are that can add to what son and kane bring us ?

Of course, but we are a different club with different circumstances. They have £100m in the bank from Hazard's sale plus whatever they've saved up during their transfer ban.

We spent big money last summer but unfortunately we spent £60m on a flop, we bet the farm on him and unless we can get a return on our investment through him playing well or selling him, there's a limit to what we can do without selling Son or Kane.

Liverpool, United and Woolwich are not going crazy right now and neither are we, we cannot expect a club in our situation to spend like the two disgusting oil clubs.

That spend was boosted by the near 100 mill we made by reaching the CL final. Without CL football there would have been have been little to spend Covid or no Covid. Levy is very spend resistant.

This was a short review from the THST meeting at the beginning of March, pre lockdown

Speaking in a scheduled meeting with the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust last week, Levy also indicated Spurs will look to continue producing marquee players, rather than buying them.

The minutes of the meeting said: "Daniel Levy (DL) responded that Spurs have a net base spend of £200m in the last four years on players but maintained there is little correlation between money spent and winning. It's about making the right decisions.

"Funds were ring-fenced for the summer, however not qualifying for the Champions League would have an impact all round.

"DL felt it was wrong to say Spurs didn't pay competitive wages. Spurs are a club that makes superstars. Jose Mourinho wants to bring in players who give everything for the club because they recognise the opportunity."

I am surprised that pre covid levy wasn't able to secure a sponsorship deal with someone which have gone someway to funding the stadium.
Now with the financial markets struggling we will be lucky to get sponsorship from Poundland.
🤣
We had plenty of offers - same with the sleeve sponsor

As usual - the thought he was smarter than everyone else and we got fucked

My guess - the new sponsor would be something NFL related as part of ENIC's global drive towards a Yank franchise reacharound

Back
Top Bottom