Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Agreed. He's such a good talent.

Probably the best player to play in the SPL since Larsson.
What better than the great Van Dijk ? not quite but a great young talent seen enough of him to think he would push Kane, he is actually quite similar in style to Kane. He is certainly better than Dembele

Wasnt that great when Kane was fit enough to ruin him at Southampton. He is the most over hyped player in the EPL. A good centerback exactly on par with Alderweireld and Vertonghen when they were fit. He is not franco Barasi FFS!

To be fair, he is pretty exceptional. And in all honesty, I'd put him above Alderweireld and Vertonghen in terms of a peak season.

But he is talked about as being the best centre back in the history of the league and put into people's best ever Prem eleven and its ridiculous.

Wrong! Højbjerg is best when he gets to participate in the attacking play. His heart lies in the number 8 position and you get the best out of people when you let them do what they love the best. But Højbjerg works so hard that he can cover for a DM too. But don't tie him on a 20 yard leash outside his own team's box. You won't get the best of him that way.
Agree to disagree.

First of all, I´m not sure where you got this information that Hojbjerg´s heart lies in the number 8 position. It looks to me that he is very interested in moving to Tottenham. And if he wants to come here, knowing that we already have Lo Celso, Ndombele, Sissoko, Gedson and even Winks, I´d say he probably knows what will be expected of him.

Now forget about Tottenham. Let´s focus on his game and what should be his best position. I´ve watched around ten Southampton matches during this break and I can honestly tell you that all his atributes as a player tells us that his best position is not as a number 8 or as a box to box midfielder. Hojbjerg is not the fastest player around and he is not the best passer around either. His stats going forward are almost irrelevant - even with all the freedon he´s got.

He is a solid midfielder, with the most recoveries in the league, good at tackling and even more important: Hojbjerg has a fantastic ability to read the game. When the opposition attack is imminent, instead of trying to cover every ground, what he does is try to put himself just in front of the defensive box - exactly what a DM should do, exactly what we need. To get the best out of him, from what I´ve seen, he should be used as a number 6 or as part of a double pivot, being the one with more defensive duties.

Last edited:
Agree to disagree.

First of all, I´m not sure where you got this information that Hojbjerg´s heart lies in the number 8 position.

I'm sure that I have followed him much longer than you have. All the way from when he was a youth player at my own childhood's club, Brøndby. And I can assure you, that he craves to take part in the attacking play. The position he is used in, most often, is as a CM - even at Soton. He would like to come to us, I'm sure. It would be a step up from Soton, but we won't get the best out of him by using him exclusively as a DM. If that is all we need, then we should rather go for someone else.

I'm sure that I have followed him much longer than you have. All the way from when he was a youth player at my own childhood's club, Brøndby. And I can assure you, that he craves to take part in the attacking play. The position he is used in, most often, is as a CM - even at Soton. He would like to come to us, I'm sure. It would be a step up from Soton, but we won't get the best out of him by using him exclusively as a DM. If that is all we need, then we should rather go for someone else.
Brøndby is one thing, Premier League is another. I´ve watched some of his old YouTube clips, playing for Brøndby and Denmark, and yes, he played further up the pitch. But that was a long time ago, and facing a different level of competition. A player can and should transform himself, especially when young. In fact, all you got to do is look at what was expected of Hojbjerg when playing for Guardiola, and the player he is now.

Last edited:
If Hojbjerg craves to play the attacking role of a CM then he’s at the correct level of club for his talent.

Højbjerg is a natural number 8 which means he will take part in both defensive and offensive aspects of the game. He is NOT a natural number 6 and if that is what we're looking for, then we should go for someone else.

It would be very spurs to buy a player in a position we dont need to strengthen in because he is cheap while neglecting the main area of weakness because there is no bargain to be had in that position

Wasnt that great when Kane was fit enough to ruin him at Southampton. He is the most over hyped player in the EPL. A good centerback exactly on par with Alderweireld and Vertonghen when they were fit. He is not franco Barasi FFS!
Prime Toby and Jan were better than Van Dijk, it's just that prime Toby and Jan is now nothing more than a memory and we're left with shells of the players they used to be.

For some reason Jose wanted to sign both them up, despite apparently having eyes.

I don't care if he's better further forward, and we weren't getting the best out of him. He isn't better than Ndombele or Lo Celso going forward, but he is a big improvement on everyone in our squad playing deeper. He's cheap, still young, a leader and is already used to the league. Hojberg as our new CDM is a no brainer.

Back
Top Bottom