Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I want us to be the best football club in the world, a giant of the game and because of how modern football operates that means we have to compete financially with the Madrids of this world, telling people to basically fuck off and support another team because they don't like our transfer policy isn't a sensible way to view it imo.

It is because we're not Madrid mate.

Absolutely mate, just like maybe the quoted fees for some of our targets could be plucked from nowhere just to stir things up.

People are saying we should just spend the rumoured £70m on Lo Celso etc. It doesn't make sense to me to do so if he ain't a £70m footballer so maybe people just need to chill out a little and realise that in a non regulated market like online news and the media is that people will make things up for clicks.

So much Levy hate and coming because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

You mean, criticism.

The reason he is criticised is because he has shown, time and time again, that he cares more about getting the best deal than he does about getting the managers first choice targets.

We are the only club in europe to not buy a single player in 18 months mate despite desperately needing reinforcements, that's why people are concerned.

Sigh, others telling people to support another club because they would rather defend our lack of spending and ambition than face the reality that modern football, unfortunately, is about how much money you spend.

Money, 90% of the time, equals success in football now, telling people to support another club because they realise in order for us to be a serious competitor we have to start behaving like one in the transfer market is childish.

Two of the biggest spenders last season were Fulham and West Ham..

Two of the biggest spenders last season were Fulham and West Ham..

But Fulham and West Ham don't have world class infrastructures, they aren't in the same position as us, them spending £200m probably wouldn't even net them a top 4 place because of the quality above them.

It's about consistently competing for top talent in the market and having the infrastructure and teams around that talent to nurture it.

Either way, without the money for the top talent you can only go so far, as we have seen with our current team and setup, we have hit a glass ceiling.

But Fulham and West Ham don't have world class infrastructures, they aren't in the same position as us, them spending £200m probably wouldn't even net them a top 4 place because of the quality above them.

It's about consistently competing for top talent in the market and having the infrastructure and teams around that talent to nurture it.

Either way, without the money for the top talent you can only go so far, as we have seen with our current team and setup, we have hit a glass ceiling.

But we spent nothing and managed top 4??

But we spent nothing and managed top 4??

Because we have a top manager and a team full of top quality internationals that have been working at their maximum which has thankfully allowed us to remain competitive but as we have seen this year in the league, the squad is now stretched and our results are worsening, we barely squeaked into the top 4 this season, it will only continue to trend downwards, imo, if we don't invest.

Imagine if we would have spent over the last two windows, what might we have achieved then?

How is £80k a week a 'problem' for other clubs??
I thought WE were the only club who paid a 'paupers wage'... according to most transfer drivel you read, most of our players have to leave, just to put food on the table!!!

Probably because the clubs interested in him aren't paying above 80k wages for players in his position tbh.

I don't see why we would consider selling Rose, he is a quality player.

You mean, criticism.

The reason he is criticised is because he has shown, time and time again, that he cares more about getting the best deal than he does about getting the managers first choice targets.

We are the only club in europe to not buy a single player in 18 months mate despite desperately needing reinforcements, that's why people are concerned.

But we also made the Champions League final though. On reflection does not signing a single player actually seem like it was a poor decision in times where money I think is tight for the club?

The only team I see as being similar to us based on the costs of a new stadium and would be Woolwich (unfortunately). Check out how many of their star players they had to sell off, season after season to accommodate their debt levels.

Do we desperately need reinforcements? We finished top 4 with a mental injury list and got within touching distance of becoming European Champions. I really struggle to see where the desperation narrative comes from.

Last edited:
Because we have a top manager and a team full of top quality internationals that have been working at their maximum which has thankfully allowed us to remain competitive but as we have seen this year in the league, the squad is now stretched and our results are worsening, we barely squeaked into the top 4 this season, it will only continue to trend downwards, imo, if we don't invest.

Imagine if we would have spent over the last two windows, what might we have achieved then?

Agreed, we do have a top manager and a team full of internationals which means we have got it pretty much right.
Had we signed 4 or 5 £30m + players, who knows what impact that could have had 9n the team dynamics.
Man Utd chucked money everywhere and look a the crap they endured, no team just a bunch of selfish players who care about themselves and themselves only.

But we also made the Champions League final though. On reflection does not signing a single player actually seem like it was a poor decision in times where money I think tight for the club?

The only team I see as being similar to us based on the costs of a new stadium and would be Woolwich (unfortunately). Check out how many of their star players they had to sell off, season after season to accommodate their debt levels.

Do we desperately need reinforcements? We finished top 4 with a mental injury list and got within touching distance of becoming European Champions. I really struggle to see where the desperation narrative comes from.

Using the champions league run as a barometer for where we currently stand is a big mistake imo.

That's a knockout competition, one in which we had some good fortune go our way (not saying we didn't deserve to be in final because the guts we showed during that run was unbelievable) but we did have some fortune along the way, such as VAR against City for example.

Our league form is a better indicator of where we are and in what direction we are trending, I understand your point about a lengthy injury list and fatigue but doesn't that just highlight that we need reinforcements?

We lost more games this season than the last two combined, I truly believe a big part of that is because we have been inactive in the last two windows, we have even had Poch saying we need to spend because is is concerned with our form in the league.

I think it's a huge mistake to believe we can continue to operate like this and remain in the top 4, let alone win any trophies.

I don’ understand why we are so eager to sell Danny, and the notion that we want to replace him with Sess just boggles my mind.

Poch is probably looking at the long term. Sessegnon could be our left back for 10 years at top level. Rose on the other hand is closing on 30 and if we don’t sell now we may never get a good price.

Our system we employ requires non stop speed and energy for the full back positions. That’s why Rose and Trippier maybe deemed surplus to requirements.

If we sold Trippier and Rose and got Sessegnon and AWB let’s say that’s our full back position sorted for a decade.

Back
Top Bottom