Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The previous transfer record was set with considerably lower income stream (I think). If Levy does not up the ante this time around with 100 million CL money, and stadium revenue due to increase greatly, he will lose many of us, as well as Pochetino. Crossroads is exactly right.
You don't speak for me.

I've supported this club through decades of utter shite, and shall do even if we end up non league.

If big transfers are your thing go and get a Madrid shirt.

We crossed a road when we built that giant stadium. Gambling 100s of millions on players very few of us have really ever seen isn't quite my idea of a crossroads. We did that once, and lucked out that one of those seven players as expected was excellent.

Strawman argument, the OP didn't say we should spend like City. I'm surprised you didn't mention Messi.

What he did say was "Get business done early and make sure our manager has his first choice targets" - what is anyone's problem with that?
That would hold water if he hadn't have said this in his reply...

I have reiterated about 50 times now that in order for us to seriously compete with City and Liverpool realistically we have to match them in the market or we will continue to remain where we are or go backwards.

West Ham have had a £29m bid for Uruguay striker Maxi Gomez, 22, accepted by Celta Vigo. (Sky Sports)

So West Ham have a £29m bid accepted for a player we were being linked with barely a month ago for £43m.

Can people now see the argument against all of those people shouting at the club to JUST PAY THE MONEY?!?!?

I would love to hear the thoughts of a few of those that question the club for not stumping up quoted fees in the media when teams end up accepting significantly less than the original quote was.

£43m to start off with, £29m the deal it seems. A fair bit of a jump from Celta Vigo it has to be said.

Last edited:
There is really no point in getting agitated over some random newspaper's pretend journalist's lazy ruses. I prescribe watching series one of Trailer Park Boys.

Edit
Series One

Last edited:

So West Ham have a £29m bid accepted for a player we were being linked with barely a month ago for £43m.

Can people now see the argument against all of those people shouting at the club to JUST PAY THE MONEY?!?!?

I would love to hear the thoughts of a few of those that question the club for not stumping up quoted fees in the media when teams end up accepting significantly less than the original quite was.

£43m to start off with, £29m the deal it seems. A fair bit of a jump from Celta Vigo it has to be said.
Or maybe the £43m story was bullshit...more of that confusing fake news...

Or maybe the £43m story was bullshit...more of that confusing fake news...

Absolutely mate, just like maybe the quoted fees for some of our targets could be plucked from nowhere just to stir things up.

People are saying we should just spend the rumoured £70m on Lo Celso etc. It doesn't make sense to me to do so if he ain't a £70m footballer so maybe people just need to chill out a little and realise that in a non regulated market like online news and the media is that people will make things up for clicks.

So much Levy hate and coming because we don't know what's going on behind the scenes.

I know you “couldn’t give a toss if people disagree” but surely the point of a discussion is to ‘give a toss’ about other’s views and, as in this case, to try to understand why no-one agrees with you? Repeating yourself 50 times irrespective of what other people think isn’t having a discussion.
Yes but it's when he and others get called gooner trolls or gooner scum etc, just because they question our transfer policy or spending.......thats when it gets a tad boring, pathetic and downright fucking childish.

I know you “couldn’t give a toss if people disagree” but surely the point of a discussion is to ‘give a toss’ about other’s views and, as in this case, to try to understand why no-one agrees with you? Repeating yourself 50 times irrespective of what other people think isn’t having a discussion.

I am open to others opinions, I have listened and tried to understand where they are coming from but nobody has given me any reason to believe I shouldn't be concerned about the way we do business in regards to transfers.

You say "no one agrees with you" but that simply isn't true whatsoever, there is a handful of people on here that disagree with me, the same 5-6 posters, if you take a look around, on this forum and outside of this forum you will find that the general consensus in regards to Levy and transfers is one of frustration and annoyance.

So actually, the people disagreeing with me here is the contrarion view, I am trying to understand why people believe that suddenly, after years and years of behaving in a certain way, they think Levy and ENIC will suddenly change and go on a huge spending spree, we hear it every window and we get linked to all these quality players and it never materialises, the majority of our fans are wise to how Levy operates, some supporters just don't want to believe it.

You don't speak for me.

I've supported this club through decades of utter shite, and shall do even if we end up non league.

If big transfers are your thing go and get a Madrid shirt.

We crossed a road when we built that giant stadium. Gambling 100s of millions on players very few of us have really ever seen isn't quite my idea of a crossroads. We did that once, and lucked out that one of those seven players as expected was excellent.

This is the problem, we have a section of supporters that are just content with where we are because of where we were before.

I have supported this club for over 30 years, I would also support us regardless of our circumstances, even if we were relegated to non-league but that doesn't mean I want us to lack ambition.

I want us to be the best football club in the world, a giant of the game and because of how modern football operates that means we have to compete financially with the Madrids of this world, telling people to basically fuck off and support another team because they don't like our transfer policy isn't a sensible way to view it imo.

Poch has the same sort of ambition and the only way we can achieve that is to start behaving like a big club in the transfer market.

Yes but it's when he and others get called gooner trolls or gooner scum etc, just because they question our transfer policy or spending.......thats when it gets a tad boring, pathetic and downright fucking childish.

As is continually moaning about Spurs not buying every transfer target which we get notionally linked with and whoring out the same line of Levy lacking ambition.

There is a middle ground here.

The transfer window is a bit like goggle box, with the exception that we're actually watching fuck all and just talking about the TV we expect to see and getting angry/excited/disappointed in advance, it's just an opportunity for some to get their narratives in early, other than that,use your time elsewhere, until we sign someone at least...

Then we can put them on a pedestal as the one factor that will change everything and then slag them off when they don't...

I might be coming across a tad cynical here.

That you should support Man City, clearly with money as your God you're worshiping at the wrong temple .... sorry JT if that's a bit childish for you ...

Sigh, others telling people to support another club because they would rather defend our lack of spending and ambition than face the reality that modern football, unfortunately, is about how much money you spend.

Money, 90% of the time, equals success in football now, telling people to support another club because they realise in order for us to be a serious competitor we have to start behaving like one in the transfer market is childish.

Back
Top Bottom