Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the only one of those that would have been driven by Pochettino would have been Osvaldo, who he'd signed previously at Espanyol - and he signed him for Southampton knowing he'd had to be jettisoned from Espanyol for causing shit in training - and he promptly went and did the same at Southampton, they virtually had to give him away to get him out of the club, after being their record signing.

I know nothing about Foren, but Southampton were very analytics/scouting driven and made some good business.

Foren didn't play a single game for the club, which makes me believe he was probably scouted before Pochettino arrived and he wasn't someone Poch probably wanted.

I assume Wanyama he wanted? Unless he impressed him so much he decided to also sign him for Spurs a few years later?

From what I have seen, most of our signings under Poch were all pretty much scouted when he was over at Southampton, especially in the earlier years. Stambouli for example was seen as a replacement for Schneiderlin if they sold him etc.

I have absolutely no issue with the signings Pochettino has made as a collective. We may have had better individual talent on occasions in the past but we were never as consistent points wise in the league so I'm all good with the overall feel of his moves given that every manager signs good and bad.

Most players Poch has signed I absolutely see why he went for them bar one or two. Some haven't lived up to expectation but I definitely see little flashes in their play and solid seeming personalities that made him take a punt on them. I just think the teams ran out of puff and belief at a crucial time, the seeds of doubt are planted and they desperately need to change that as it will be a huge shame if this is how the team starts getting broken up

Aurier solid personality ? he had a history of being a complete fuckwit.

I have a huge problem with the signings Pochettino has made. Sissoko, Aurier and Moura were all well exposed players who had very little potential left in them to tap, Aurier maybe the slight exception but he also was the one with worst character profile and we already had two right backs here.

We had kids here who could cover the remits of all those players, freeing up 75m in fees and another 60m or so in wages that could have been put to much better use.

The whole management of resources and planning, as that article points out, has been piss poor. Adding those players to the Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente type deals has left us bloated with a bunch of non HG players that have contributed minimally to our first team, meant we can't register some for the CL, and can't offload them either because no one shit enough to be interested in them has the money to buy or match their wages.

No one should be forcing players on Pochettino, of course he needs to have the final say on major purchases (not young potential ones) but they need to be players that haven't been signed on the whim of a coach who could choose to leave any time, they should be players that the analytics and scouting team have researched and presented to Poch as an option, based on areas that he and the "recruitment team" deem they need to strengthen. And the DOF/Sporting Director should also have the clout to say "we don't need to commit 50m in fees and wages to a RB just yet, lets give KWP a chance to back up Trippier and see where we are in 6/12 months".

Poch is a great coach, I'm all for him being allowed to run his staff and players how he wants, carte blanche, but it's always a folly to allow head coaches to spend money that they won't necessarily have to work with the consequences if it goes tits up.

It leaves a club in the type of scenario we are in now, if Poch decides to fuck off to Ream Madrid because his purchases like Sissoko, Aurier, Moura and Sanchez are contributing to our performances dipping, and we don't make CL, it means the club is left with the mess.

Apart from anything else, howe can a head coach do the job of scouting and analytics? The shirt of money players are costing clubs now, how can businesses place so much responsibility on a man who is doing one of the most short term jobs in the world?

He did some Stella business at Sevilla, Alves, Rakitic, Keita, just a shame it was in the era when 20m was a huge fee. Some of those would sell for 75-120m in their pime in this market. I think football just caught up to him a little, when people are now paying 100-200m+ for kids like (O)Dembele and Mbappé, and getting quoted 50m for NDombele's and Aouar's finding those gems has just got harder and harder.

But it was also his team building that was good, he would take players like Kanoute, NZonzi, etc and they'd do a great job for the team.

Getting Zaniolo (and 24m) in the Nainggloan looks like a fantastic bit of business though.

I really wish we'd go back to this kind of system. I wouldn't even mind picking up Mislintat, but I think he's off to Bayern isn't he?
It's a fascinating time right now. What appears to have changed is the super clubs are also looking to buy (and pay huge sums) for the young players whilst also buying tried and tested players. Only Real Madrid has the past few years not bought a tried and tested galacticos.

Aurier solid personality ? he had a history of being a complete fuckwit.

I have a huge problem with the signings Pochettino has made. Sissoko, Aurier and Moura were all well exposed players who had very little potential left in them to tap, Aurier maybe the slight exception but he also was the one with worst character profile and we already had two right backs here.

We had kids here who could cover the remits of all those players, freeing up 75m in fees and another 60m or so in wages that could have been put to much better use.

The whole management of resources and planning, as that article points out, has been piss poor. Adding those players to the Nkoudou, Janssen, Llorente type deals has left us bloated with a bunch of non HG players that have contributed minimally to our first team, meant we can't register some for the CL, and can't offload them either because no one shit enough to be interested in them has the money to buy or match their wages.

No one should be forcing players on Pochettino, of course he needs to have the final say on major purchases (not young potential ones) but they need to be players that haven't been signed on the whim of a coach who could choose to leave any time, they should be players that the analytics and scouting team have researched and presented to Poch as an option, based on areas that he and the "recruitment team" deem they need to strengthen. And the DOF/Sporting Director should also have the clout to say "we don't need to commit 50m in fees and wages to a RB just yet, lets give KWP a chance to back up Trippier and see where we are in 6/12 months".

Poch is a great coach, I'm all for him being allowed to run his staff and players how he wants, carte blanche, but it's always a folly to allow head coaches to spend money that they won't necessarily have to work with the consequences if it goes tits up.

It leaves a club in the type of scenario we are in now, if Poch decides to fuck off to Ream Madrid because his purchases like Sissoko, Aurier, Moura and Sanchez are contributing to our performances dipping, and we don't make CL, it means the club is left with the mess.

Apart from anything else, howe can a head coach do the job of scouting and analytics? The shirt of money players are costing clubs now, how can businesses place so much responsibility on a man who is doing one of the most short term jobs in the world?

I see why Poch saw elements in the players he's signed that made him take a punt on them and people do forget that with his signings on board we have stayed contenders withna met spend of £27m in total.

I highlighted in another post that the other top 6 since the January 2018 window have spent £850m on players yet we are still holding our own. The players may not be grade A talents but clearly we are wheeling and dealing a little and withnwhat we have to spend, to keep our place in, around and above the likes of Chelsea who have spent over £250m since Jan 2018 is remarkable.

If it wasn't for a post month we'd be sitting comfortably in 3rd with huge focus on the possibility of a semi final in the Champions League, that ain't bad going for a team that's spent what £5m net per season since. The gaffer took charge.

He's hamstrung, as is the club and I think he's done pretty well all in all with the hit and miss ratios collectively. Just how I see it, plenty of room for improvement but sadly, plenty of funds needed to do so.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no issue with the signings Pochettino has made as a collective. We may have had better individual talent on occasions in the past but we were never as consistent points wise in the league so I'm all good with the overall feel of his moves given that every manager signs good and bad.

Most players Poch has signed I absolutely see why he went for them bar one or two. Some haven't lived up to expectation but I definitely see little flashes in their play and solid seeming personalities that made him take a punt on them. I just think the teams ran out of puff and belief at a crucial time, the seeds of doubt are planted and they desperately need to change that as it will be a huge shame if this is how the team starts getting broken up
Lol Aurier has assaulted a police officer (2 month conviction btw), shouted out homophobic slurs on periscope, convicted for drunk driving, spent the night in the cell for an altercation with his girl. Great personality! He was so toxic even PSG kicked him out.

The rest sure but I wouldn't exactly call them winners.

Lol Aurier has assaulted a police officer (2 month conviction btw), shouted out homophobic slurs on periscope, convicted for drunk driving, spent the night in the cell for an altercation with his girl. Great personality! He was so toxic even PSG kicked him out.

The rest sure but I wouldn't exactly call them winners.

When did I call them winners??? As for Aurier we all know of his past but I don't judge a book by its cover or belief everything I hear and since he's signed for us he's seemingly acted pretty well.

Anyway the point I'm making is, ability wise and based on elements of their character I can see why Poch opted for them onna tight budget. People act like we've dropped to being a midtable team we are still 3rd and still in the quarter finals of the biggest club competition in the world. The signings he's made are being scrutinised yet we are where we are, go figure.

When did I call them winners??? As for Aurier we all know of his past but I don't judge a book by its cover or belief everything I hear and since he's signed for us he's seemingly acted pretty well.

Anyway the point I'm making is, ability wise and based on elements of their character I can see why Poch opted for them onna tight budget. People act like we've dropped to being a midtable team we are still 3rd and still in the quarter finals of the biggest club competition in the world. The signings he's made are being scrutinised yet we are where we are, go figure.
Tottenham defender Serge Aurier arrested over alleged assault of partner

mere two months ago. LOL!

Yes total coincidence Aurier was involved. Wonder why it hasn't happened to the non-serial criminals in the squad?

I'd say Lloris being done for drink driving was a lot worse than Aurier being released with no further action being taken.

Who the fuck are you to judge?

Lol I know right?

The shitty thing is that it is that easy for some teams. The rest of the clubs have to be relistic and run operations logically.

I'd never thought of it in such terms before tbh.... All of a sudden explains quite a lot. :freund:

...Until now, under the impression that it was 'just us', I've never been able to work out why all the other 85 or so teams in the pyramid weren't all dripping with silverware and not rioting over finishing below muggy old Tottenham year after year.

:dierpochhug:

TFC: The learning tree.

Last edited:
Yes total coincidence Aurier was involved. Wonder why it hasn't happened to the non-serial criminals in the squad?

You don't know the reason and as far as the law was concerned after looking at them evidence he had done nothing wrong. Anyway the point I was making was, with a shoestring budget, I don't think our signings have been as bad as some make out. An average of £5m net or so spent each season under Pochettino, what other team has jumped the league positions we've had with similar expenditure? We all know or at least think there is more in Aurier's locker but I do see why Poch decided to give him a go

Totti Totti Park Lane Mark Twain Park Lane Mark Twain

Domestic violence is one of those really difficult ones.

Many of the 'complaints' are not pursued by the complainant, which makes it really difficult to assess crimewise. However, in general. many of these complaints are repeated

The result of this incident is that Aurier was in police custody when he was due to be playing a match, leading to a late change of the team by Poch.

So if its repeated its not good for Spurs playing matches - and is likely to put the club under pressure to deal with the player if this kind of incident is repeated (think Chay Evans, although obviously a far more extreme incident).

Players with this kind of profile/history really are ones to avoid as they are high risk.

Personally I'd like a

I see why Poch saw elements in the players he's signed that made him take a punt on them and people do forget that with his signings on board we have stayed contenders withna met spend of £27m in total.

I highlighted in another post that the other top 6 since the January 2018 window have spent £850m on players yet we are still holding our own. The players may not be grade A talents but clearly we are wheeling and dealing a little and withnwhat we have to spend, to keep our place in, around and above the likes of Chelsea who have spent over £250m since Jan 2018 is remarkable.

If it wasn't for a post month we'd be sitting comfortably in 3rd with huge focus on the possibility of a semi final in the Champions League, that ain't bad going for a team that's spent what £5m net per season since. The gaffer took charge.

He's hamstrung, as is the club and I think he's done pretty well all in all with the hit and miss ratios collectively. Just how I see it, plenty of room for improvement but sadly, plenty of funds needed to do so.

I really don't think any of the signings we've made in the last two/three years have impacted the first team anywhere near enough. Our last few major signings of the last three years - Wanyama, Sanchez, Moura, Aurier, Llorente, Sissoko, Janssen, Nkoudou, Foyth - Only one of those cemented a solid regular first team place that improved us, was an upgrade on what we had - Wanyama and that last one season (not Poch's fault per se). I think Sanchez has some potential, but at 40m was hardly a bargain and I'm still not sure he'll be the next TA/JV/King type deal, still in the balance, still looks a bit raw some days.

I think Poch is a great coach, collectively, I've never disputed that, and I think that has masked some major mismanagement of resources, not just purchases, but the waste of academy resources, and some of that is his doing.

I just think the modern game has moved so far from having a "manager" who has control of every facet, especially recruitment. Liverpool have the perfect model right now IMO. They don't have a big name DOF (Michael Edwards), most would never have heard of him, his ego isn't competing with Klopp's, and a great analytics dept, but they all do what they are good at, and Klopp is head coach. If it's good enough for him, I don't see why it shouldn't be for Pochettino.

Back
Top Bottom